• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024-25 Season Thread

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Figured I'd start a thread for this, all things Kings or otherwise, tidbits, etc.

ESPN has goalie tandem rankings, you have to have ESPN+ to access it so if you have that to watch games just log in and you'll be able to see the whole article:

Regarding the Kings, they rank below average at 19th:

19. Los Angeles Kings

Darcy Kuemper, David Rittich

Kuemper is GM Rob Blake's latest attempt to stabilize his goaltending in the post-Jonathan Quick era.

"If you get the Darcy of every other year in his career other than last year, they'll be fine," one goalie analyst said.

Kuemper's only season with the Capitals was a disaster, as he posted the lowest save percentage of his career (.890) and a terrible minus-15.6 goals saved above expected. He lost his gig to Charlie Lindgren, and the Kings acquired him in a "problem for problem" swap for center Pierre Luc-Dubois.

"In theory, the Kings' defensive environment is always going to make their goaltending look good," one goaltending analyst said.

Rittich was the Kings' best goaltender last season, with 8.8 goals saved above expected and a sterling .921 save percentage in 24 games. He's earned the backup role in the NHL, with Pheonix Copley relegated to the AHL to start the season.

Perhaps Kuemper is the answer. Or perhaps it's like how one goalie analyst put it: "The Pacific Division looks like where good goaltending goes to die."

Nothing we didn't really expect, first four games are showing it too although the Kings defense isn't helping at all.

Number one is the Rangers including a familiar face:

1. New York Rangers

Igor Shesterkin, Jonathan Quick

Our panel of experts agreed that the Rangers deserved the top spot in the goalie tandem ranking, now that the Bruins broke up the band.

Shesterkin is well-established as one of the top goaltenders in the NHL, even if he hasn't hit the heights of his Vezina-winning 2021-22 campaign again. He had a .912 save percentage last season in 55 games, although he had only 3.46 goals saved above expected. He's going to break the bank on his next contract for a reason: Few netminders in the NHL are even in the conversation with Shesterkin as far as ability to take over a game.

But the reason this tandem could be considered the NHL's best has to do with the 27 games Shesterkin didn't play. Quick, 38, was 18-6-2 last season for the Rangers, reviving his career after it looked like it might have reached its end with the Kings and Golden Knights in 2022-23. (Quick did win a third Stanley Cup ring with the Knights as a backup goalie.)

Quick's underlying numbers were better than Shesterkin's in some cases last season.

"If Jonathan Quick plays like he did last season, they absolutely deserve to be here," an NHL goalie analyst said.

That's a significant if given Quick's age and mileage, but the NHL should know better than to count him out by now.

Fox4Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 19th was generous. Washington, Edmonton, Seattle, Calgary behind them.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 19th was generous. Washington, Edmonton, Seattle, Calgary behind them.

My thoughts exactly. You'd think it would be nutty to think a few years ago the goaltending was so strong for LA, but I guess when you blow your wad haphazardly this is what happens - you end up cutting corners.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TOTM, Dunno and Foegle have the same number of goals as Andreas Englund...combined. Ouch.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just looked at ATOI, Buster getting the fourth most time (17:43) among forwards behind Kopitar (19:06), Kempe (18:27) and Dunno (17:48). Team worst -3, which I'm not a fan of but paints a little bit of a picture. Dude simply needs to start producing, especially now back as LW1. Gavrikov leading the team with 24:18. picking up a lot of Doughty's time.

Reminds me of Moore, seems to be all over the place but not really doing anything if that makes sense.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just looked at ATOI, Buster getting the fourth most time (17:43) among forwards behind Kopitar (19:06), Kempe (18:27) and Dunno (17:48). Team worst -3, which I'm not a fan of but paints a little bit of a picture. Dude simply needs to start producing, especially now back as LW1. Gavrikov leading the team with 24:18. picking up a lot of Doughty's time.

Reminds me of Moore, seems to be all over the place but not really doing anything if that makes sense.

Its still my 100% annoyance at the PLG situation. Buster is moved everywhere in the lineup, paired with everyone,put in as many good situations to succeed as possible and LA fans give him every excuse as can be thought of, gets a free pass over and over and gets to just play with LA's top scorers to help get him on the board. I dont know that PLG would have ever fit or come close to earning that cap hit, but damn the fans just didnt ever give him a shot or even question why he was never even thought of being moved around the lineup or get half the opportunities given to Buster.....I kinda get it, he has a French name i guess. Hopefully Buster becomes more than a giant gold chain wearing 3rd liner guy.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they can just get the streaming service to work even remotely compared to what FSW was, then doesn't really matter....
This is just a name change. Still owned by Diamond Sports. Kings stuck with them until Sept 2026.
Ducks went with Victory streaming , owned by the Dallas Stars. The video is really good so far

LAKINGSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its still my 100% annoyance at the PLG situation. Buster is moved everywhere in the lineup, paired with everyone,put in as many good situations to succeed as possible and LA fans give him every excuse as can be thought of, gets a free pass over and over and gets to just play with LA's top scorers to help get him on the board. I dont know that PLG would have ever fit or come close to earning that cap hit, but damn the fans just didnt ever give him a shot or even question why he was never even thought of being moved around the lineup or get half the opportunities given to Buster.....I kinda get it, he has a French name i guess. Hopefully Buster becomes more than a giant gold chain wearing 3rd liner guy.
The one word that comes to my mind cpmparing Buster and PLD is effort. I think thats why I personally got tired of PLD so quickly. Too many times PLD skated around like he just didnt care. At least you can see Buster skating hard. I think the final straw for me was against the Wild. I forgot who challenged him but he skated away and on the way to the bench gave Faber a push. I think that was such and B@@@@ move.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TA, top 10 front offices in the league. Cliffs Notes, LA nowhere near the list.

=)~~

1. Dallas
2. Tampa Bay
3. Florida
4. Vegas
5. Boston
6. Colorado
7. NJ
8. Carolina
9. NY Rangers
10. Detroit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Currently diving in on this FanDuel transition. For Roku, they have FanDuelTV +, which is NOT the same thing. I was able to search for it, and it's specifically FanDuel SportsNetwork. All the Bally's stuff, at least on their website, redirect you directly to the new FanDuel. My old Bally's login works too. So at least there's that.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one word that comes to my mind cpmparing Buster and PLD is effort. I think thats why I personally got tired of PLD so quickly. Too many times PLD skated around like he just didnt care. At least you can see Buster skating hard. I think the final straw for me was against the Wild. I forgot who challenged him but he skated away and on the way to the bench gave Faber a push. I think that was such and B@@@@ move.

Do not disagree. Still, why not play him up and down the lineup as they do with every other struggling player? Ive also seen Buster not skating hard and doing little....not nearly PLG like, but even still the 2 ot losses if he really was trying he could have prevented both scoring OT plays....

Reactions: xis

Fox4Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I'm over the linemate excuse. I look at Laf last night, and you can see his effort no matter who his linemates are. Even if he doesn't show up on the scoresheet and even if he isn't surrounded by talent, he just stood out. Dude has got some game. If you HAVE to have superior talent on your line to succeed or be productive, then I don't think you are a star in this league and worthy of being paid like one. Having that surroundind talent helps the numbers no doubt, but you should still be visible out there (in a good way.)

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I'm over the linemate excuse. I look at Laf last night, and you can see his effort no matter who his linemates are. Even if he doesn't show up on the scoresheet and even if he isn't surrounded by talent, he just stood out. Dude has got some game. If you HAVE to have superior talent on your line to succeed or be productive, then I don't think you are a star in this league and worthy of being paid like one. Having that surroundind talent helps the numbers no doubt, but you should still be visible out there (in a good way.)

Buster looks completely lost out there playing with Kopitar and Kempe, kind of baffling considering he's spent the better part of 2 seasons with them.

May be a confidence issue now that he has the money, could be the pressure of that contract, but whatever it is needs to change and fast. The Kings have definitely handled him with kid gloves since he was drafted, enough babying. Jill keeps saying his play wasn't a reason why he was moved as C3 but the eye test revealed differently, he can't drive his own line. At least not yet.

A big contingent on a successful season was for guys like Turcotte, Spence, Buster, Clarke, Laferriere making progress and contributing along with Foegle and Jeannot - right now on two of those guys are making headway and that's Turcotte and Laferriere although Spence is holding his own but not consistently.

Too many passengers with the others and add in guys like Dunno, Moore, etc both picking up the slack and even 7 games in it's concerning.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of course, but as someone who ends up with up to 100's of workers depending on the project i dont really get the luxury of getting exactly who I want. As a leader I need to take what i have assess it and get to work, if it isnt working I need to make the moves necessary to get the job complete....for whatever reason there are personalities that work well together and others that dont. Ultimately as a manager you need guys to perform and as annoying as it is at every level of sport or job, you do what you can to get it going.

Buster never earned his $$$, PLG while earning some never should have got what he did....but the manager cant just throw his hands up and do nothing, hes got to use what hes got

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry I've been MIA. Just lots going on and I tend to stay away on game days as I get off late and watch the games after they're done.

I've been meaning to post about Byfield. In the past when I've defended him it was because even tho he wasn't putting up the big points he was doing the little things right and wasn't costing the team by floating (like mentioned about PLD.) So far this year he's made mistakes that have cost the team a goal if not the game. He's not really floating but he's not exactly right yet either. I don't know what it is or how to express the point but it looks to like he's revving up in the natural zone and it looks like he's going to get the puck in the offensive zone but it's losing the puck or making the wrong play at the worst time. I think like Puck said he's not confident.

So yeah I'm calling him out. This year he has much shorter of a leash with me and the team better start feeling the same way. If he doesn't pick up next game then sit him.

On another note, I know they're trying to get Lewis his 1000 games but it's time to sit him in favor of Thomas also. At least in back to back games. I know Thomas didn't have the best training camp but I want to see him in the line up.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thomas is due, enough of HOS V2.0. Veteran presence or not he isn't bringing much to that fourth line, and his one goal was a puck that hit his leg and went in.

Manage his TOI and GP too, a guy like Thomas needs to get in. Jill said he doesn't know when he will, well after 3 blowout losses in a week I'd say it's time.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All those preseason predictions about LA goaltending coming true early on:

Kuemper
1-0-2
3.59 GAA
.859 SP%

Rittich
2-2-0
3.39 GAA
.890 SP%

Copley
0-0-0
4.37 GAA
.873 SP%

Oof. Granted I think the overall defensive play is more at fault than soft goals (sans the Ottawa game, I think Kuemper gave up some suspect ones and should have been pulled) but this is where a legitimate 1A can steal some games. Kings have to tighten up defensively.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just looking at the goalie stats but then went to TA saw this article, Ranking the NHL's Worst Goalie Contracts from Pricey Backups to Buyout Candidates. Three Kings related goalies, one current Kings goalie:

7. Darcy Kuemper, Los Angeles Kings

Remaining contract: Three years left, $5.25 million

Recent performance: Well, he did win the Stanley Cup in 2022 with Colorado, which earned him his current payday. If we don’t count that as “recent,” however, he’s been on a fairly steep decline, to the point the Capitals salary-dumped him to L.A. for Pierre-Luc Dubois in June.

Extenuating circumstances: At 34, age appears to be starting to catching up to Kuemper. And without Drew Doughty for a while to start the season, the Kings could leave him relatively exposed.

Verdict: This one could get ugly. You can’t really buy the deal out with the way it’s structured with signing bonuses, so the Kings need him to play his way out of his current funk and get back to the average-ish goalie he was a couple years ago.

And who can forget this one, the gift that keeps on giving. Ranks right up there with PLD as the worst contract Blake ever handed out:

2. Cal Petersen, Philadelphia Flyers

Remaining contract: Final year, $5 million

Recent performance: Flyers and goalies, a tale as old as time. This contract was a weird reach when it was signed by the Kings in 2021 and it quickly became one of the worst deals for any player leaguewide. Petersen has played most of the deal in the AHL, making more than 30 times what most of his teammates do.

Extenuating circumstances: The deal is partially buried, and the Flyers knew they were taking it on in order to move a big ticket in Ivan Provorov, who wasn’t working out as a Flyer.

Verdict: The only thing keeping this one from the top of the list is that it’s almost over.

And the winner is...

1. Joonas Korpisalo, Boston Bruins

Remaining contract: Four years left, $4 million

Recent performance: This was one of the odder UFA signings in recent memory, as Korpisalo had struggled for years to show any consistency in Columbus before Ottawa gave him a five-year deal at decent starter money.

Extenuating circumstances: The Bruins aren’t paying the full load, as the Senators retained $1 million of this contract for the final four years as part of the Linus Ullmark trade. But $3 million is still a lot to pay a backup who has been below replacement value more often than not throughout his career.

Verdict: Korpisalo has shown flashes of strong play in spot duty earlier in his career (i.e. the 2020 playoffs), so perhaps he’ll settle in behind Boston’s stout team defense and give them a cromulent 25 starts or so the rest of the way. But the early returns are ugly — and he could receive some pressure for playing time from Brandon Bussi in the AHL if he continues to struggle.