• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 2023 Lions regular season game thread

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The next time Jerry Jacobs turns his head to track the ball will be his first. Need the offense to come alive again here shortly.
He sucks. He had a few balls fall into his lap for interceptions but other than that he is Chris Harris 2.0 without the effort. No way shape or form should be covering the best WR. Ever.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again the offense stagnates with an injury to the oline. The top 5 are arguably the 2nd best in the league, but they are in desperate need of some depth. Damn shame we could not keep Evan Brown.
Glasgow has been a great surprise. I would rather see Skipper at G then Sorsdal. The kid is not ready to be on the field. We definitely have a hole to fill next year.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He sucks. He had a few balls fall into his lap for interceptions but other than that he is Chris Harris 2.0 without the effort. No way shape or form should be covering the best WR. Ever.
Who should be out there though? We have Sutton for one side. Then we have Jacobs, Lucas, or Harris. Lions spent a lot of money on the secondary this offseason and then had most go out hurt.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glasgow has been a great surprise. I would rather see Skipper at G then Sorsdal. The kid is not ready to be on the field. We definitely have a hole to fill next year.
He did better this game, still not great. He was just not ready for the Packers dline, they are beasts.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad penalty for the Lions.
Its a pussy rule but you have go lower or its a penalty. He hits his waist instead of shoulder and there is not body weight to land on him.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a pussy rule but you have go lower or its a penalty. He hits his waist instead of shoulder and there is not body weight to land on him.
I don't disagree, by the rule it was clear, but I am not sure how he was supposed to pull up there. He made contact before the ball was released. It was a bang-bang play.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who should be out there though? We have Sutton for one side. Then we have Jacobs, Lucas, or Harris. Lions spent a lot of money on the secondary this offseason and then had most go out hurt.
Steven Gilmore

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder why he has been a healthy scratch the last few weeks. He might not be ready.
Well we need to give him a shot. We are not winning a playoff game with this defense. It needs a major overhaul. Need to see Pashal on the field for more snaps. Move him inside to DT. Jones is useless on pass plays. He hustles but is just too limited by his size and now McNeil is hobbled. We need Buggs back. Bruce Irvin still has gas in the tank and needs to be out there on every 3rd down and 5+. We do get Houston back in 2-3 weeks too so the outside pass rush will get better. I dont want to see Rodrigo on defense any more either. JRM is better on both defense and ST.

On offense we still need to open up more. Saints shut us down after Q1 the same way all the other teams did. Almost all 11 guys within 5 yards of the LOS. Johnson still questionable with some of those play calls. 2nd and 3rd down inside the 10 and 2 timid runs. Conversely under 3 mninutes in the game and decides to pass and give them an extra TO. Not to mention with 2:02 left instead of play action and throwing deep he just runs up the middle when the clock was going to stop anyway. These are obvious things that need to be corrected.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we need to give him a shot. We are not winning a playoff game with this defense. It needs a major overhaul. Need to see Pashal on the field for more snaps. Move him inside to DT. Jones is useless on pass plays. He hustles but is just too limited by his size and now McNeil is hobbled. We need Buggs back. Bruce Irvin still has gas in the tank and needs to be out there on every 3rd down and 5+. We do get Houston back in 2-3 weeks too so the outside pass rush will get better. I dont want to see Rodrigo on defense any more either. JRM is better on both defense and ST.

On offense we still need to open up more. Saints shut us down after Q1 the same way all the other teams did. Almost all 11 guys within 5 yards of the LOS. Johnson still questionable with some of those play calls. 2nd and 3rd down inside the 10 and 2 timid runs. Conversely under 3 mninutes in the game and decides to pass and give them an extra TO. Not to mention with 2:02 left instead of play action and throwing deep he just runs up the middle when the clock was going to stop anyway. These are obvious things that need to be corrected.
He played in there a few snaps when Mcniel left hurt. Made a key stop in the backfield. Would like to see more of it.

Paschal in the middle, Houston Back, Irvin getting some snaps and the Lions might actually have a decent passrush. Right now the triple team Hutch, double team McNiel, and let everyone else go 1 on 1. We desperately need 3rd and 4th options that are a threat.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Monty is now the second player in NFL history with 700+ yards and 10+ TDs in his first nine games with a team.

The other is Eric Dickerson.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not season ending though. COuld be back week 18.
They also signed Alualu, which shows that Buggs is likely done. I wonder what happened between the contract signing and now. Seems like a steep turn.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PFF is way off again. On offense Jackson was not that bad. On defense Okwara did nothing. He got 1 sack due to coverage. Conversely JRM had a great game on both defense and ST and should have been much higher.

Best and worst PFF grades from the Lions win over the Saints in Week 13​

Share this article​

1828908670.jpg

NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA - DECEMBER 03: Sam LaPorta #87 and Josh Reynolds #8 of the Detroit Lions celebrate after LaPorta scored a touchdown in the first quarter against the New Orleans Saints at the Caesars Superdome on December 03, 2023 in New Orleans, Louisiana. (Photo by Chris Graythen/Getty Images)
aharbaugh

December 5, 2023 9:50 am ET

Coming off of two lackluster performances, the Lions were in a position to prove something against the Saints. New Orleans has one of the better defenses in the league and for an offense that has struggled, the Lions came out firing on all cylinders.
The passing game looked good early on highlighted by rookie Sam LaPorta having a career day. Other high notes included Jameson Williams showcasing his playmaking ability, and the running game continued to grind against defenses.
The defense bent but didn’t break against both Derek Carr and Jameis Winston who played quarterback for the Saints. They let the game get closer than it should have been but again, they are getting there in terms of playing a complete 60-minute game. The downside is there are just five weeks left to figure it all out.
Of course, diving deeper into the play can be done via PFF and its advanced metrics. These numbers highlight some of the stars from their week 13 performance.

Best Offensive PFF Grades​

• TE Sam LaPorta 90.7
  • OT Penei Sewell 80.4
  • QB Jared Goff 77.7
  • G Graham Glasgow 76
  • TE Brock Wright 75.8

Worst PFF Offensive Grades​

• G Colby Sordsal 45.9
  • G Jonah Jackson 48.8
  • RB David Mongomery 54.7
  • WR Donovan Peoples-Jones 54.7
  • OT Taylor Decker 55

Best PFF Defensive Grades​

• DE Romeo Okwara 90.2
  • DE Aidan Hutchinson 89.9
  • DL Alim McNeil 78.1
  • LB Jalen Reeves-Maybin 76.9
  • LB Jack Campbell 74.4

Worst PFF Defensive Grades​

• DE John Cominski 49.9
  • LB Derrick Barnes 50.8
  • DL Benito Jones 52.4
  • S Tracy Walker III 52.7
  • DL Quinton Bohanna 53.4

Special Teams PFF Grades​

• LS Jake McQuaide 73.1
  • P Jack Fox 60.8
  • K Riley Patterson 60

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also signed Alualu, which shows that Buggs is likely done. I wonder what happened between the contract signing and now. Seems like a steep turn.
I am shocked they signed some scrub CB to the active roster instead. Would really like to know what the story is with Buggs.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am shocked they signed some scrub CB to the active roster instead. Would really like to know what the story is with Buggs.
Assuming it’s lack of commitment/effort.

Got paid and started calling in to work.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ragnow is officially out. Lions have a new option in Matt Farniok, but I don't know anything about him. Was he brought in to play on 1 week of practice, or will they run with Sorsdal again? He was on the Bears practice squad, but I am not sure that can help with a 1 week turnaround.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow.. this D. :L I don't even want to think about what's going to happen in Dallas in a few weeks.