• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 2023 Lions official draft thread

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At six I want Skoronski.

Unless 5 QBs go, then obviously I want Anderson.
Don’t think Holmes goes OL first, but I wouldn’t be upset at this at all. Keep the strength of the team a strength. He’d be a Road grader at G and easily be a true swing tackle.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So on the Profootballnetwork draft simulator, they have started putting players into the draft proposal from other teams. I was just offered 19th pick and Mike Evans and a 2024 2nd rd pick. For the 6th pick

Any thoughts on this? Not a need imo just a stud player.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holmes could do good in my eyes using one of those 5th rounders on Andrew Vorhees if he falls that far. We can sit him until healthy next year.
Not only that. We need another OT as well. Matt Nelson is not cutting it as the swing guy.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So on the Profootballnetwork draft simulator, they have started putting players into the draft proposal from other teams. I was just offered 19th pick and Mike Evans and a 2024 2nd rd pick. For the 6th pick

Any thoughts on this? Not a need imo just a stud player.
Yeah, the Chiefs offered me Gay and a future 3rd for pick 55. I took that one

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the Chiefs offered me Gay and a future 3rd for pick 55. I took that one
I was offered Josh Jacob’s at 18 because Robinson was there. Seen Bateman for a move from 18 to 22. Love to see D White offered in a trade in real life

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don’t think Holmes goes OL first, but I wouldn’t be upset at this at all. Keep the strength of the team a strength. He’d be a Road grader at G and easily be a true swing tackle.
5 year minimum of helping at three or four positions.

Rob

Forward down the field, Bitches.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also no way in hell Witherspoon would fall to 18. He won't even make it to 10.
4 QBs, 3OL, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE, 4DL, 1LB is 15 players off the board. Then and any 2 players of Gonzalez, Porter Jr, Smith, Ringo, Banks, Branch at DB.

How do we know the whole NFL world and the Lions brass is fixated on Witherspoon?

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 QBs, 3OL, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE, 4DL, 1LB is 15 players off the board. Then and any 2 players of Gonzalez, Porter Jr, Smith, Ringo, Banks, Branch at DB.

How do we know the whole NFL world and the Lions brass is fixated on Witherspoon?
I don't know if the Lions are fixated on them. I have just said I would be happy with Witherspoon. As far as why I don't think hebwould ever fall out of top 10? He is the best corner in this draft.

I would be thrilled with Banks at 18, if they don't take Witherspoon 6. I would just prefer Witherspoon at 6.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I'm more excited for this Lions draft than I ever have been. We have a high pick. Like usual. Our roster is shit, and there's literally holes all across the roster at pretty much every single position. Like usual. The draft really matches up well with our needs. We have some additional picks in the area this draft is strongest. And there's some game changing/ team changing prospects available. And unlike usual we actually have expectations that this team is going to be good, we don't need a savior. And a big part of it is that I finally feel like we can trust our front office. If we had Millen, or Mayhew, or Quinn and Patricia and they drafted Jalen Carter at #6 overall I would be breaking shit. I would be so pissed and 100% convinced that he was gonna bust, because thats what i see from here. If Holmes and Campbell draft Carter I'll say "Hmmm. They must have met with and are convinced he loves football."

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I'm more excited for this Lions draft than I ever have been. We have a high pick. Like usual. Our roster is shit, and there's literally holes all across the roster at pretty much every single position. Like usual. The draft really matches up well with our needs. We have some additional picks in the area this draft is strongest. And there's some game changing/ team changing prospects available. And unlike usual we actually have expectations that this team is going to be good, we don't need a savior. And a big part of it is that I finally feel like we can trust our front office. If we had Millen, or Mayhew, or Quinn and Patricia and they drafted Jalen Carter at #6 overall I would be breaking shit. I would be so pissed and 100% convinced that he was gonna bust, because thats what i see from here. If Holmes and Campbell draft Carter I'll say "Hmmm. They must have met with and are convinced he loves football."
I think this is overly negative on the roster. Lions have very few holes on the offense. RG and backup qb are the only real needs. We can improve some, but we have starting quality and depth is solid.

Defense does need a lot of work, but they improved the secondary l, by far the worst part of thebdefense last year with 3 top notch signing. We need more dline for sure, and about 3 million linebackers.

Holmes does not seem to care about linebackers so I doubt we draft one early.

Reactions: Rob

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did see a report that the Lions really like Tyree Wilson, which I thunk is a bummer. I think he caps out at Justin Smith, which is awesome, but remember Smith took a long time to become elite. He was 30, or 8 years in the league.

I think drafting Wilson will guarantee you am OK dlineman for his rocking contract, but just like Smith his best years will be for a different team

Rob

Forward down the field, Bitches.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Wilson is like a mirror image of Aiden. One of those funhouse mirrors that makes your arms look longer.

I agree Wilson will probably start as more of a solid D-end, but he will push the pocket around. And I believe Wilson will get his share of sacks as a rookie. That is what we need. We need another book end to set the edge against the run. Address the bad run defense with a guy who might also get you 10+ sacks (one day).

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first 4 for now is:

CB Witherspoon
TE Mayer
DT Mazi Smith
LB Simpson

Of course this is assuming Carter is gone already. As much as I would like to take an edge or RB, They are not high needs for us after our FA signings. Honestly I think the 2 best players in the draft are B Robinson and T Wilson but we are already solid there. I would love to have them but I just dont see us pulling the trigger.
I am expanding my picks and through early round 5

6 CB Witherspoon \ Gonzales
18 TE Mayer
48 DT Mazi / Benton
55 LB Simpson /Campbell
81 OL Mauch / LB Dorian Williams
152 QB Bennett (He will fall due to off field issues)
159 OL Voohries (To keep @gandydancer happy)

Obviously things could change if 4 QBs go in the first 5 picks. Then we would take a DL with 6 and Banks / Forbes at 18 and TE Washington at 48.

elguapo

I cannot think of anything clever to put here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am expanding my picks and through early round 5

6 CB Witherspoon \ Gonzales
18 TE Mayer
48 DT Mazi / Benton
55 LB Simpson /Campbell
81 OL Mauch / LB Dorian Williams
152 QB Bennett (He will fall due to off field issues)
159 OL Voohries (To keep @gandydancer happy)

Obviously things could change if 4 QBs go in the first 5 picks. Then we would take a DL with 6 and Banks / Forbes at 18 and TE Washington at 48.
Campbell will not be there at 55

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Campbell will not be there at 55
ILB seldomly goes first round unless they are a generational talent so you never know. This is a pretty deep draft at edge and CB too. Lots of factors will determine it.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just sitting here wondering which defensive lineman they're going to take.
I don’t want to pass on Carter. It’s unfamiliar to trust front office here. So if he’s there and is taken I will not argue. I’m certainly not opposed to adding a DE first either. Never seen bookends in Detroit. Certainly make what they have on the interior better when two studs on outside.