• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free Agents

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is an interesting scenerio that I wasn't aware of... We know that if we franchise tag Geno, he would get 45 million and would be exclusively a Seahawks with that tag for 1 year... But if we tagged him with the one that would guarantee him 32 million and would still be free to receive offers from other teams... Difference is, we have first right of refusal by having the option to match another teams offer or if we decide not to match the offer, we would receive (2) 1st round picks if the tagged player signs w/ another team after being tagged... IMO, Geno is probably to see around the 30 million mark anyways, why not tag him with the non-exclusive tag? If he signs elsewhere after the tag, we get 2 more 1st round picks this year...

Last edited:

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Q Jefferson I meant... Brock Huard had mentioned that we'd save 9 million with Ford moving on... I had just assumed he was a cut candidate... Yeah, I was thinking about Diggs...

You go after a Payne or another DT and address one or two of the spots in the draft & FA to replace those 3...
According to what I see on overthecap, our top 5 pre-June cap saving cuts would be:
  1. Diggs $9.9M
  2. Shelby Harris $8.9M
  3. Nwosu $8.2M
  4. Gabe Jackson $6.5M
  5. Q Jefferson $4.4M
Releasing Harris & Jackson seem like no-brainer moves to me. Nwosu had a solid year and probably was our best DL, so I think he stays. If Diggs doesn't restructure and hangs around 1 more year, I think he's a goner for sure before '24 to save $11M. Not listed but mentioned recently on the board, cutting Jamal Adams after 1 June would save $11M this year.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is an interesting scenerio that I wasn't aware of... We know that if we franchise tag Geno, he would get 45 million and would be exclusively a Seahawks with that tag for 1 year... But if we tagged him with the one that would guarantee him 32 million but would still be free to receive offers from other teams... Difference is, we have first right of refusal by having the option to match another teams off or if we decide not to match the offer, we would receive (2) 1st round picks if the tagged player signs w/ another team after being tagged... IMO, Geno is probably to see around the 30 million mark anyways, why not tag him? If he signs elsewhere after the tag, we get 2 more 1st round picks this year...

I would be overjoyed if the team put the non-exclusive tag on Geno, and some sucker team out there gave us 2 first rounders for him. Couldn't do it fast enough.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to what I see on overthecap, our top 5 pre-June cap saving cuts would be:
  1. Diggs $9.9M
  2. Shelby Harris $8.9M
  3. Nwosu $8.2M
  4. Gabe Jackson $6.5M
  5. Q Jefferson $4.4M
Releasing Harris & Jackson seem like no-brainer moves to me. Nwosu had a solid year and probably was our best DL, so I think he stays. If Diggs doesn't restructure and hangs around 1 more year, I think he's a goner for sure before '24 to save $11M. Not listed but mentioned recently on the board, cutting Jamal Adams after 1 June would save $11M this year.
Yeah, out of that list Nwosu is a must keep imo... Good bye to Jackson, Harris and Jefferson... Diggs too if we have another option they're looking at... Outside of a few picks, Diggs wasn't that great this year imo... Seemed like he missed so many tackles...

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be overjoyed if the team put the non-exclusive tag on Geno, and some sucker team out there gave us 2 first rounders for him. Couldn't do it fast enough.
I have suggested a tag and trade before, but I doubt its feasible.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have suggested a tag and trade before, but I doubt its feasible.
All depends on the price I suppose. Lots of FA QBs hitting the market this off-season, many of which had at least as good or better career arcs as Geno prior to this season.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is an interesting scenerio that I wasn't aware of... We know that if we franchise tag Geno, he would get 45 million and would be exclusively a Seahawks with that tag for 1 year... But if we tagged him with the one that would guarantee him 32 million and would still be free to receive offers from other teams... Difference is, we have first right of refusal by having the option to match another teams offer or if we decide not to match the offer, we would receive (2) 1st round picks if the tagged player signs w/ another team after being tagged... IMO, Geno is probably to see around the 30 million mark anyways, why not tag him with the non-exclusive tag? If he signs elsewhere after the tag, we get 2 more 1st round picks this year...

No if we tag Geno with the lower FT and we do not match the offer we get squat, nada, nothing.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No if we tag Geno with the lower FT and we do not match the offer we get squat, nada, nothing.
@Anointed One is correct.

The exclusive franchise tag "gives the team exclusive negotiating rights. Should the player reject the offer, they are unable to sign with another NFL team for that entire season."

The nonexclusive franchise tag "allow players to negotiate with other teams. If they receive an offer, their current team has the opportunity to match. If they opt not to match the offer, they’re entitled to receive two first-round draft picks in exchange."

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
would love to squeeze a team like the redskins out of a couple picks

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those of us that would like to resign Ryan Neal, what kind of contract would you be willing to offer? Keep in mind, he's a restricted FA so whatever contract we offer him - teams have a chance to make a higher offer... Do we offer him 2 million and test the market for him and a take a chance of losing him? Do we offer him 4-5 million to ensure we retain him? Whatever we offer and a team does win the bidding for him, we would receive a comp pick...

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those of us that would like to resign Ryan Neal, what kind of contract would you be willing to offer? Keep in mind, he's a restricted FA so whatever contract we offer him - teams have a chance to make a higher offer... Do we offer him 2 million and test the market for him and a take a chance of losing him? Do we offer him 4-5 million to ensure we retain him? Whatever we offer and a team does win the bidding for him, we would receive a comp pick...

First off I would offer him 3 to 4 million and get him to allow us to negotiate if someone offers more, I Match it. Let him know he is going to be important going forward. Then If resigned I cut Jamal Adams and tell Neal you're the starter.

Thing is the injury, whats happens next you know.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's worth having and 4-5 million sounds fair, if the Seahawks can swing it. The thing is there are bigger decisions that need to made before deciding on resigning Neal. The Geno decision will have to be made first, because the math starts with that decision.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel a team with so many issues, and the Hawks defense is LOADED with issues, needs to look elsewhere rather than signing a soon to be 33 year old career back-up QB with turnover issues to a mega deal.

To be fair Geno Smith averages more turnovers per game than Drew Lock. Think about that for a minute because THAT is the big knock on Lock.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel a team with so many issues, and the Hawks defense is LOADED with issues, needs to look elsewhere rather than signing a soon to be 33 year old career back-up QB with turnover issues to a mega deal.

To be fair Geno Smith averages more turnovers per game than Drew Lock. Think about that for a minute because THAT is the big knock on Lock.
Agree with that. All the cuts to save cap other then Gabe Jackson are defensive starters. So using the cap space for defense rather than for over paying for Geno makes sense to me and if fixing the defense is the priority then this is what should happen. Geno should only be signed if it is a bargain contract that doesn't hinder rebuilding the defense.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A position we haven't talked much about is the #3 WR on the roster going into 2023... Outside of Eskridge (whom I don't trust) we really don't have a #3 on the roster with Goodwin a FA... I also think we'll be drafting one with one of our picks in the first 3 rounds...

Here are a few people I wouldn't mind targeting for that #3 spot on the team:
  • TY Hilton: 1-1.5 million
  • Jamison Crowder: 1.5-2 million
  • N'Keal Harry: 1-2 million

At RB, i'd like to target the following for our #2 back:
  • Damien Harris: - 4-5 million
  • Rashaad Penny: 1-2 million
  • D. Montgomery: 2-3 million

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we have to understand also, our 19 million of effective cap space is just penny's. Signing Geno to a big contract just isn't in the cards with out putting some massive hits down the road. We can't let this team become financially strapped 2 to 3 years down the road when Carroll walks away. That would mean they would have to blow it up and then we can look forward to many years of mediocrity or worse. I feel if this happens we could see a decade of below .500 play on the field ala the 1990's all over again.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we have to understand also, our 19 million of effective cap space is just penny's. Signing Geno to a big contract just isn't in the cards with out putting some massive hits down the road. We can't let this team become financially strapped 2 to 3 years down the road when Carroll walks away. That would mean they would have to blow it up and then we can look forward to many years of mediocrity or worse. I feel if this happens we could see a decade of below .500 play on the field ala the 1990's all over again.

Again, what are you defining as a big contract?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I frequently see people refer to the team's available cap space being not as good as it looks on paper because of roster holes needing to be filled. I am not buying it. The same list of "effective cap space" that shows us at $19M also shows KC at $7M in the hole. Does anyone really think KC will have to deconstruct their roster? No, they won't. They'll jettison some overpriced older players, move some other money around, and be just fine. We will do the same thing, but we are starting at a $26M better position to do it. The biggest challenge will be working Geno's deal to leave space for other deals this off-season, which shouldn't be that difficult.

I couldn't believe my ears when I heard it this morning, but you know who our biggest cap hit player was this season? Poon Ford, who was a Metropolitan Grill dinner over $10M. Next was Tyler Lockett, also at just over $10M. Looking at scheduled cap salaries for 2023, there are all sorts of options to make more room. Gabe Jackson, Quandre Diggs, and Shelby Harris are a combined $41M in cap salary. Do you really think we'll hold them at that price? I sure don't. We could open up about $26M by cutting all 3.

The sky isn't falling.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I frequently see people refer to the team's available cap space being not as good as it looks on paper because of roster holes needing to be filled. I am not buying it. The same list of "effective cap space" that shows us at $19M also shows KC at $7M in the hole. Does anyone really think KC will have to deconstruct their roster? No, they won't. They'll jettison some overpriced older players, move some other money around, and be just fine. We will do the same thing, but we are starting at a $26M better position to do it. The biggest challenge will be working Geno's deal to leave space for other deals this off-season, which shouldn't be that difficult.

I couldn't believe my ears when I heard it this morning, but you know who our biggest cap hit player was this season? Poon Ford, who was a Metropolitan Grill dinner over $10M. Next was Tyler Lockett, also at just over $10M. Looking at scheduled cap salaries for 2023, there are all sorts of options to make more room. Gabe Jackson, Quandre Diggs, and Shelby Harris are a combined $41M in cap salary. Do you really think we'll hold them at that price? I sure don't. We could open up about $26M by cutting all 3.

The sky isn't falling.

Yeah. The cap isn't really a problem. Every team deals with this every year now.

No, we aren't going to be drunken sailors on the FA market. Maybe we sign one notable FA. Maybe not. But that is also because this team doesn't usually spend big on the free agent market.

If the Hawks have to tag Geno that makes things more complicated. As does letting Geno walk. But knowing Pete, I can't imagine that he would willingly rolling the dice on someone else unless he really felt Geno was an abberation.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. The cap isn't really a problem. Every team deals with this every year now.

No, we aren't going to be drunken sailors on the FA market. Maybe we sign one notable FA. Maybe not. But that is also because this team doesn't usually spend big on the free agent market.
And I'm ok with that. The 1st wave of free agency tends to carry big risk. Good deals to be had in the 2nd wave. Plug a few holes with decent players and lean on the draft to build the core, especially now that this front office finally has some good draft picks in consecutive years to play with.
If the Hawks have to tag Geno that makes things more complicated. As does letting Geno walk. But knowing Pete, I can't imagine that he would willingly rolling the dice on someone else unless he really felt Geno was an abberation.
Yeah, hard for me to imagine them tagging Geno even at the ~$31M rate. I don't believe they want to take on that much of a cap hit in '23 at QB, even if it means letting him test the market. There is about a week gap between the tag deadline and when free agency begins, with the 2 day negotiating window right before free agency. Those ~48hrs might be pretty interesting if the 2 sides haven't yet reached a deal.