• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free agency and trade thread

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Darnold now a Niner

He's from my hometown and went to my high school so I've always had a soft spot for him.

I do like the addition even though I don't think he'll morph into some All-Pro QB I do think not being bounced around from two dysfunctional situations with the Jets and Panthers into a team with talent and stability he might at least be decent.

Ultimately my philosophy is I prefer my 3rd string QB to be a guy with some potential than some ancient journeymen vet with 0 upside.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's from my hometown and went to my high school so I've always had a soft spot for him.

That’s cool. Always fun to root for those guys. Only athlete from my high school to do something in the pros so far is Mauricio Dubon, who just won a WS with the Astros.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Darnold a Niner as the backup plan for when somebody gets injured and JimmyG is Carr's replacement in Vegas. Let's see if we still get the old "JimmyG is a winner and that's what matters" without an elite defense and a lesser coach.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do like the addition even though I don't think he'll morph into some All-Pro QB I do think not being bounced around from two dysfunctional situations with the Jets and Panthers into a team with talent and stability he might at least be decent.

Ultimately my philosophy is I prefer my 3rd string QB to be a guy with some potential than some ancient journeymen vet with 0 upside.
But when both the #1 AND #2 on your team fit your desired description of your #3, going the vet-route for your #3 is a good idea.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s cool. Always fun to root for those guys. Only athlete from my high school to do something in the pros so far is Mauricio Dubon, who just won a WS with the Astros.
I liked Dubon when he was on the Giants….

Until I realized his IQ was competitive for a pet rock. Absolute DUMBEST player in the league. Classic case of “million dollar arm, ten cent head”.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dillard to the Commanders is a good flyer. We have no idea how good he can be. No shame in not being able to break the rotation of the Eagles oline.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone have a definitive view on whether Javon Hargrave counts towards the compensatory pick formula or not? In practice he had a 3 year deal that expired but technically it was a 6 year deal that had 3 years which voided. Either it helps the 49ers or the Eagles.
I read today that the Eagles are looking at a 3rd round pick on the Hargraves deal and then 6th or 7th for Epps/Edwards. Bradberry is likely to get money that would net the Eagles a 3rd. Take this with a grain of salt. This is from local sports reporters and needless to say, they talk out their ass and aren’t held accountable if they’re wrong. All said and done Eagles are anticipating getting the max of 4 compensatory picks with 2 being in the 3rd and 2 being late round

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious at this point is he really an upgrade over Cam Sutton? I haven't seen the cap hit yet for Peterson, but the Lions got Sutton for a good price.
I think Joey Porter Jr is the CB of the Steelers future even though they signed Peterson today.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read today that the Eagles are looking at a 3rd round pick on the Hargraves deal and then 6th or 7th for Epps/Edwards. Bradberry is likely to get money that would net the Eagles a 3rd. Take this with a grain of salt. This is from local sports reporters and needless to say, they talk out their ass and aren’t held accountable if they’re wrong. All said and done Eagles are anticipating getting the max of 4 compensatory picks with 2 being in the 3rd and 2 being late round
Likely one for Dillard as well

3/29

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dillard to the Commanders is a good flyer. We have no idea how good he can be. No shame in not being able to break the rotation of the Eagles oline.
He has really progressed well. Your assessment is spot on. He just couldn’t crack into the lineup. He’s a natural LT and Mailotta just left no doubt. They tried to work him inside but Dickerson became a Pro Bowl G. The knock on him early was that he wasn’t ready to commit to football and understand that it’s his career now. Year 1 was a whirlwind for him and it stole his confidence. But he’s been working with Stoutland for years now. Are you sure it’s Commanders? I thought it was Titans.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has really progressed well. Your assessment is spot on. He just couldn’t crack into the lineup. He’s a natural LT and Mailotta just left no doubt. They tried to work him inside but Dickerson became a Pro Bowl G. The knock on him early was that he wasn’t ready to commit to football and understand that it’s his career now. Year 1 was a whirlwind for him and it stole his confidence. But he’s been working with Stoutland for years now. Are you sure it’s Commanders? I thought it was Titans.
Yeah, Titans. Missed that one

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Likely one for Dillard as well

3/29
Quite honestly, the Eagles will have more players eligible for compensatory picks than the NFL allows for. They max you at 4. There is still Miles Sanders and Kyzier White who will likely move on. I’m praying to God CJ Gardner Johnson isn’t in this group as well. I keep telling myself they’ve let guys like Edwards and Epps (solid starters) walk because they’re pursuing Gardner Johnson. If they whiff on him, then they’re going to be kicking themselves for not going after those two productive and yet manageable contracts.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite honestly, the Eagles will have more players eligible for compensatory picks than the NFL allows for. They max you at 4. There is still Miles Sanders and Kyzier White who will likely move on. I’m praying to God CJ Gardner Johnson isn’t in this group as well. I keep telling myself they’ve let guys like Edwards and Epps (solid starters) walk because they’re pursuing Gardner Johnson. If they whiff on him, then they’re going to be kicking themselves for not going after those two productive and yet manageable contracts.
Eagles have been picked over a bunch this off-season, and still maintained a similar level of skill overall. Some drop, but they have players in position already for most of these.

Exception being secondary. Especially of they lose Gardner-johnson and Slay insists on a trade.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eagles have been picked over a bunch this off-season, and still maintained a similar level of skill overall. Some drop, but they have players in position already for most of these.

Exception being secondary. Especially of they lose Gardner-johnson and Slay insists on a trade.
I still think Slay gets worked out after listening to his pod this past week. First day of FA is rarely where the Eagles shop. Hargraves was a FA signing and most Eagles fans said who? Then he gives them 4.5, 7.5, 11 sacks. That’s great pass rush production inside. Roseman usually waits and sees which team Fuck their cap up and have to cut a player in the spring. Then when there is less competition to sign the player they offer a one year show me type of deal. They acquired Bradberry this way this past summer and they added CJGJ through trade. Eagles Twitter is blowing up with doom and gloom. These people never learn. Today is the beginning of a loooonnnggg off season. That being said, Eagles are losing a ton. This is likely a two off season rebuild of the defense to get younger and cheaper. The good news is that the offense will be almost entirely intact. They will lose Sanders and Seamalu. They already have adequate replacement in house for Seamalu and will likely pick up a meh RB through FA or the draft to play in a 3 headed attack. Eagles don’t value the RB position as more than plug and play. (Though that will be tested with the 30 pick and the potential of Gibbs still being on the board).

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think Slay gets worked out after listening to his pod this past week. First day of FA is rarely where the Eagles shop. Hargraves was a FA signing and most Eagles fans said who? Then he gives them 4.5, 7.5, 11 sacks. That’s great pass rush production inside. Roseman usually waits and sees which team Fuck their cap up and have to cut a player in the spring. Then when there is less competition to sign the player they offer a one year show me type of deal. They acquired Bradberry this way this past summer and they added CJGJ through trade. Eagles Twitter is blowing up with doom and gloom. These people never learn. Today is the beginning of a loooonnnggg off season. That being said, Eagles are losing a ton. This is likely a two off season rebuild of the defense to get younger and cheaper. The good news is that the offense will be almost entirely intact. They will lose Sanders and Seamalu. They already have adequate replacement in house for Seamalu and will likely pick up a meh RB through FA or the draft to play in a 3 headed attack. Eagles don’t value the RB position as more than plug and play. (Though that will be tested with the 30 pick and the potential of Gibbs still being on the board).
Should probably still draft iol a little early. Jurgens is guard this year, but probably center next.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still concerned they are going to go CB in the first round with the huge holes on both lines.

Believe me, I know what you mean from my own team. Giant gaps in both lines and in the secondary. Corners are getting more and more valued these days.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should probably still draft iol a little early. Jurgens is guard this year, but probably center next.
Agree on that. Actually Dickerson has that positional flexibility as well. He was a center at one time at Alabama. He was initially drafted to be a swing guy. He’s just been so good as a guard, I don’t see him moving well. I do like the idea that Jurgens first year as an NFL starter at a cerebral position is going to be slotted in between Kelce and Lane Johnson. I think they take IOL late knowing that they have another draft in 2024 now that Kelce is back. They also have Jack Driscoll who is their swing OL.

I don’t worry about Eagles OL for one huge reason: Jeff Stoudtland. Dude is the best in the business coaching OL.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Pretty strong signing by the 9ers.

PFF had him ranked just behind Donald for pass rushing grade the past two years and given that he's going from one strong defensive line unit to another there shouldn't be any significant change to his effectiveness.

The bonus is that you're weakening one of your biggest obstacles in the NFC in the process.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty strong signing by the 9ers.

PFF had him ranked just behind Donald for pass rushing grade the past two years and given that he's going from one strong defensive line unit to another there shouldn't be any significant change to his effectiveness.

The bonus is that you're weakening one of your biggest obstacles in the NFC in the process.
Quite honestly, the Eagles got his best and the Niners are picking up the tab. He’s gonna be 30. Maybe he ages well. History is not good when the Eagles turn the page and let a guy around 30 walk.