• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free agency and trade thread

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Legal tampering starts in about 24 hours. Should hear some signings announced shortly after

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I’m reading the Slay contract details correctly it’s over $24M in dead money (compared to the current cap hit of $26M) if he is traded before June 1st. I get that Howie likes to move guys when their value is highest and think that is smart, but the way he has kicked a huge part of the cap hit of these contracts out into years beyond the actual contract term may makes this tough to think it could happen. They’d have to really get a great return to do that. Is a 1st rounder enough to do that? A post 6/1 trade means only a $9M cap hit this year and $14M in dead money next year. Still a crappy move from a cap perspective but much more doable for sure. But, that would be too late to sign Bradberry, because you can’t designate a trade post 6/1 like you can a cut.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ProFootballTalk's Mike Florio reports Odell Beckham Jr. is seeking wants to earn $20 million per year on his next contract.​

You won't find many people arguing about how nice it would be to make $20 million a year. Of course, you also won't find many who are worth that annual salary -- OBJ included. Beckham earning $20 million in 2023 would make him among the 10 highest-paid receivers next season, which feels a bit excessive for a 30-year-old receiver who is on his way back from a torn ACL, and who missed all of last season. Beckham recently held a workout in front of 13 NFL teams and should have a market in the coming days. However, it's unlikely he fetches anything close to the pay day he's seeking at this point. Perhaps an incentive laden contract helps him get closer to that number, but teams are unlikely to shell out top dollar for his services at this point in time.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I’m reading the Slay contract details correctly it’s over $24M in dead money (compared to the current cap hit of $26M) if he is traded before June 1st. I get that Howie likes to move guys when their value is highest and think that is smart, but the way he has kicked a huge part of the cap hit of these contracts out into years beyond the actual contract term may makes this tough to think it could happen. They’d have to really get a great return to do that. Is a 1st rounder enough to do that? A post 6/1 trade means only a $9M cap hit this year and $14M in dead money next year. Still a crappy move from a cap perspective but much more doable for sure. But, that would be too late to sign Bradberry, because you can’t designate a trade post 6/1 like you can a cut.
and...it appears Slay would love to stay in philly but he wants to be paid too.

oh well, to Fing bad.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see $8.611M that the Eagles have to account for this season with another $13.798M to account for in 2024 if he stays. If they wanted him to stay they'd be offering him an extension. If nothing else an extension would allow them to convert some of his salary into a pro-rata signing bonus to reduce the cap hit. My reading of the situation is the Eagles aren't too fussed if he stays or where he goes. They could cut him resulting in an acceleration of the 2024 dead money whilst getting rid of the salary and work-out bonus. Alternatively they could designate him as a Post June 1 cut which would give them cap space after June 1 but they'd have to keep him on the books for cap purposes until then. It's pretty marginal. I think Slay wants to be paid and get an extension. If another team is prepared to take him and presumably give him an extension the Eagles are prepared to trade him for a nominal pick and accelerate the dead money. Given that the contract extends into 2024 but voids they wouldn't be eligible for a compensatory pick in 2025 if he played out 2023 at $17.5M and then left as a FA. I could be wrong.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think you can trade Slay for more than a 4th or 5th. He’s only going if the new team wants to redo him. The Slay trade talk is Howie Roseman calling the agents bluff on Slay’s monetary value around the league. Rosenhaus has been granted permission to go and negotiate potential value after a trade. The Eagles intent isn’t actually trading Slay in my estimation. The goal is another restructure to give him more years in Philly while also helping them free up cap and kick the can down the road again.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ProFootballTalk's Mike Florio reports Odell Beckham Jr. is seeking wants to earn $20 million per year on his next contract.​

You won't find many people arguing about how nice it would be to make $20 million a year. Of course, you also won't find many who are worth that annual salary -- OBJ included. Beckham earning $20 million in 2023 would make him among the 10 highest-paid receivers next season, which feels a bit excessive for a 30-year-old receiver who is on his way back from a torn ACL, and who missed all of last season. Beckham recently held a workout in front of 13 NFL teams and should have a market in the coming days. However, it's unlikely he fetches anything close to the pay day he's seeking at this point. Perhaps an incentive laden contract helps him get closer to that number, but teams are unlikely to shell out top dollar for his services at this point in time.
Yikes. His vision of his value is out of whack by nearly 10-12 million dollars. He’s at best a 3rd option for a good team and a 2nd option for a non contender.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Ramsey had #56 pick trade value. Long has negligible value so this doesn't upgrade the #77 pick to much more than #73. It's a bit less than I expected but it is what it is. I wish Ramsey well going forward. Rams fans on other forums will likely be going nuts since many of them thought he had mid 1st round+ pick value. lol.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Ramsey had #56 pick trade value. Long has negligible value so this doesn't upgrade the #77 pick to much more than #73. It's a bit less than I expected but it is what it is. I wish Ramsey well going forward. Rams fans on other forums will likely be going nuts since many of them thought he had mid 1st round+ pick value. lol.
I learned a lot about the value of draft picks vs players almost 20 years ago with T.O. to the Eagles. I think the average fans don’t weigh cap position, age, length of remaining contract, etc…when they assess a player’s worth. This says to me that the Rams are looking at a reset anyway. At that point, keeping a Ramsey around is a luxury. Better to get compensation now considering by the time they’re ready to swing for the stars again Ramsey value is gone as he gets more expensive and older at the same time.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I learned a lot about the value of draft picks vs players almost 20 years ago with T.O. to the Eagles. I think the average fans don’t weigh cap position, age, length of remaining contract, etc…when they assess a player’s worth. This says to me that the Rams are looking at a reset anyway. At that point, keeping a Ramsey around is a luxury. Better to get compensation now considering by the time they’re ready to swing for the stars again Ramsey value is gone as he gets more expensive and older at the same time.
Not disagreeing. Teams trade for contracts. A great player with a terrible contract probably has little or no trade value. The Rams would have been fielding 4 X jags in the secondary with him in 2023. If your house has 5 doors it doesn't make sense to pay $17M for a 1 really secure door when you've got beaded curtains on the other 4 doors. Even without compensation moving on from Ramsey would have made financial sense. The Rams beat reporters also thought he had more than mid 3rd value. The Rams have tried to move players where they want to go, (EG: Woods to Titans in 2022), so there might have been a slightly better offer out there. Losing maybe 100 or so Draft chart point isn't a big deal. I'm over it already and moving on. Good luck to Ramsey and the Dolphins are a good fit.