• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free agency and trade thread

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

giphy.gif

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love it adds another dimension to the RB crew plus bowl experience to help the young guys. Now it would be nice if they signed one of the vet DE's to help on that end.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love it adds another dimension to the RB crew plus bowl experience to help the young guys. Now it would be nice if they signed one of the vet DE's to help on that end.
Sorry, NE is fresh out of cast offs that Miami (aka little NE) keeps signing. Still trying to atone for that Wes Welker deal.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dolphins had already made 3 'big name', 'big money' signings at RB. Michel doesn't add anything to that backfield. I hope the Dolphins got him cheap with minimal guarantees because he may not make the roster. I wish Michel well after 2022 but this looks like a retirement nest egg move.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am neither Pro/Anti Baker, though I was a fan of his coming out of College and thought he would do well in the NFL.

Cleveland has been a complete crapfest most of his years there. Coaching staff has been laughable, no stability, constant change, and no direction from ownership (coming from watching bad ownership for nearly 35+ years, I know bad owners when I see them and the Browns have shitty owners)...

Baker was injured severely last year and should have either shut it down himself to protect his value, or the team should have shut him down to protect the team from his horrid play that resulted from the injuries. Bad job by all parties involved.

Baker clearly has some issues with his ability to lead other players, and that has rubbed players, both current and former, the wrong way. He has a lot to work on internally if he's going to lead a team. I think he came in as a high draft pick and had a lot put on his shoulders, and didn't always respond in the best manner. A better coaching staff might have helped to ease him into more of that leadership role and/or have someone to mentor him.

However, to me - this comes down to the owners. Ownership handled this entire process about as badly as you can imagine.

I think Baker, on a decent team, could win games. I don't think he'll ever be that top 8-10 QB, but I think he can be good enough to be in that 12-18 range, which on some teams is going to be good enough to get into the playoffs where anything can happen (Hell, just look at the Bengals making a Super Bowl). FWIW - he's kind of like an Andy Dalton with better physical tools, but still needs a lot to go right around him to get the best out of him.

At this point, any thought of keeping Baker on this team is untenable and unrealistic. Cleveland's ownership cast their lot with Watson, for better or worse. Maybe had they been up front about their desires and moves, instead of trying to score a date with a hot chick while still in a relationship with Baker, things could have worked out at least for another year, or a better more amicable split - but here we are.

Regardless of if Watson's suspended, or not, I don't see any reason why Baker would want to play this year. My guess is, outside of a trade in the pre-season, he'll likely just sit out. QB's have a much longer shelf-life in the NFL than any other position, so losing a year isn't going to push him towards any issues age-wise (unlike WR/RB, etc...). At this point, Cleveland has f'd this up two ways from Sunday and is best keeping him away from the team until they can find a solution that gets him out of town.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think my thing with Baker is that Atlanta went after Watson and didn't get him and Matt Ryan forced his way out. Baker getting upset at Cleveland seems pretty normal for the QB position.

I also dont blame Cleveland for trying to upgrade their QB position but Im going to be rooting heavily against them because that QB is Watson. I know maybe that makes me a hypocrite because I rooted for Tyreek Hill for years but Hill legitimately lost a lot because of what he did. It seems like Watson is getting rewarded for what he did. Its a level of absurdity Ive never seen.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Young guys? Teams only roster 3 or 4 RB's. There is only going to be one guy off the Miami roster last year heading into this year at the position after these signings.

I haven't seen Michel's contract yet but it has to have at least a $1m guarantee in it I would guess. And Mostert's has a $1M guarantee too. Which means its not likely that they will cut either guy after camp.

Miami's approach to RB this year is the most interesting we have seen in quite awhile. Sign not 1, not 2 but 3 vet journeyman to handle the position. They are going to be paying over $10M this season for the position now. I would guess Gaskins would be the cut after camp just so the cap number for the RB position doesn't top $12M.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think my thing with Baker is that Atlanta went after Watson and didn't get him and Matt Ryan forced his way out. Baker getting upset at Cleveland seems pretty normal for the QB position.

I also dont blame Cleveland for trying to upgrade their QB position but Im going to be rooting heavily against them because that QB is Watson. I know maybe that makes me a hypocrite because I rooted for Tyreek Hill for years but Hill legitimately lost a lot because of what he did. It seems like Watson is getting rewarded for what he did. Its a level of absurdity Ive never seen.
Yeah all good points but Watson did miss one year so it isn't nothing but I agree overall, It depends on his suspension. If it is in 2023 he will lose a lot more money than if it is in 2022 so that is a key. Luckily for Watson it was just all about timing and he is a QB in his prime. 10-12 teams were going after him and for good reason, they need a franchise QB. If this was a RB, WR or defensive player teams would have been less likely to be on their hands and knees for him.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Young guys? Teams only roster 3 or 4 RB's. There is only going to be one guy off the Miami roster last year heading into this year at the position after these signings.

I haven't seen Michel's contract yet but it has to have at least a $1m guarantee in it I would guess. And Mostert's has a $1M guarantee too. Which means its not likely that they will cut either guy after camp.

Miami's approach to RB this year is the most interesting we have seen in quite awhile. Sign not 1, not 2 but 3 vet journeyman to handle the position. They are going to be paying over $10M this season for the position now. I would guess Gaskins would be the cut after camp just so the cap number for the RB position doesn't top $12M.
Yeah I don't get it really, a bunch of decent RB's that are injury prone. Their most durable option could be cut, like you mentioned. It seems like a big circle jerk to me. A lot of money for an unclear #1 and mediocrity.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10-12 teams were going after him and for good reason, they need a franchise QB. If this was a RB, WR or defensive player teams would have been less likely to be on their hands and knees for him.
The market for Watson is really suggestive as to where the NFL puts him. The Browns wouldn't have done everything they could to get a Dak Prescott or a Cousins.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As biased as you are against him (and I am no Browns lover) If an injury happened and the Browns agreed to eat say.....half his salary.....they could get a 3rd or 4th rounder for him. Easily.....In a QB starved league as the NFL.....Mayfield could command that. Again easily.

Mayfield isn't top 10 but he isn't bottom 10 either. He's middle of the pack. And for a team that lost their starting QB.....that is worth a 3rd or 4th rounder for a QB making about 9 mill (if the Browns eat half his contract).

Stop it.
Mayfield is not middle of the pack. He is either bottom 10 or not even starter material. $18M for the let's say #16 QB in the league (middle of the pack) is an incredible bargain and he would be long gone already if that were the case and would have brought back a prime draft pick.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,596.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayfield is not middle of the pack. He is either bottom 10 or not even starter material. $18M for the let's say #16 QB in the league (middle of the pack) is an incredible bargain and he would be long gone already if that were the case and would have brought back a prime draft pick.
Stop it, there aren't 20 better starting QB's in the League.

LOL.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The QB ranking has nothing to do with his value lol

Last edited:

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL.
Most QBs on their 2nd contract are as good or better than what he looked in 21.

If I have a young QB on his rookie deal and I think that guy has a future I'm not signing Baker.

If I don't have a potential future QB I could see bringing Baker in, but no way in hell am I giving him a top dollar LTD.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most QBs on their 2nd contract are as good or better than what he looked in 21.

If I have a young QB on his rookie deal and I think that guy has a future I'm not signing Baker.

If I don't have a potential future QB I could see bringing Baker in, but no way in hell am I giving him a top dollar LTD.
Some Browns fans think a starting QB going down is going to create a market for Baker, but I feel there is a flaw in that thinking. Bad teams like for example the Jags really have no motivation to trade for Baker if Lawrence goes down and good teams say like the Packers or Chiefs would hardly think replacing Rodgers or Mahomes with Baker Mayfield would still make them contenders. Can you image Baker in Green Bay trying to fill in for Rodgers ? It would be comical.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its more about tiers than ranking imo.

GOAT: Brady
Franchise: Rodgers, Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, Wilson, Stafford
Probably Franchise: Watson, Jackson
Starters: Dak, Cousins, Murray, Carr, Tannehill

At that point, whats the name of the next tier? Does it matter? You're going to have to beat 2-4 of these guys to win a Super Bowl.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some Browns fans think a starting QB going down is going to create a market for Baker, but I feel there is a flaw in that thinking. Bad teams like for example the Jags really have no motivation to trade for Baker if Lawrence goes down and good teams say like the Packers or Chiefs would hardly think replacing Rodgers or Mahomes with Baker Mayfield would still make them contenders. Can you image Baker in Green Bay trying to fill in for Rodgers ? It would be comical.
I could see a team going after Baker if their QB had a season ending injury, but lets be honest QBs dont have to many season ending injuries, and you're right with the Rodgers/Mahomes idea. Goingbfrom elite to Baker probably leaves you out of the playoffs.

If I have no QB I think is/could be the future I'd trade cheaply for Baker, without a extension. If I'm that same team and Baker is released, I'd still talk to Baker to try and sign him to a one year Show Me deal.

I don't think Baker is horrible, but I'm don't see him as a teams future.

He came into the league as an overrated mouthy punk, maybe this opens his eyes and he grows up.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its more about tiers than ranking imo.

GOAT: Brady
Franchise: Rodgers, Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, Wilson, Stafford
Probably Franchise: Watson, Jackson
Starters: Dak, Cousins, Murray, Carr, Tannehill

At that point, whats the name of the next tier? Does it matter? You're going to have to beat 2-4 of these guys to win a Super Bowl.
I'm not sure I am putting Watson in the same tier as Jackson. He has already proven he is way better but I get the question marks for different reasons.

I think you could put a tier in between probably franchise and starters. Not sure how to label them. Baker and JimmyG, guys like that are definitely starters in the NFL, they just have to land in the right place now bc of another tier: young starters/Rookies.

You have guys like Mitch, Mariota, Geno Smith, etc. that could be starting that AREN'T starting caliber. That is the issue here. Guys in that starting QB tier are on the outside looking in bc of their situation but to me they are NFL starting QB caliber, just on a lower tier.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL.
You can keep saying it and putting your pretend LOL, but it doesn't make you less wrong.

Even Wentz was traded with little issue and he makes more than Baker and his return was a 3rd and likely a 2nd next year plus a swap of 2nds. So is it that Wentz is top 10?