• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free agency and trade thread

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Hill and his agent see that it's between the Jets and Dolphins, they need to seriously think about getting back to the negotiating table. I get that the Adams and Hopkins deals are the bar but damn, is purgatory worth the extra bit of money?
You would think that at some point players would learn that staying in a position of strength with a winning team > more money - but we see it nearly every year. Guys chase that $$$ and then wonder why they don't fit the scheme, the team, the culture, whatever it may be - and wonder how they ended up where they are.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is incredibly ironic in a discussion about Armstead coming from a fan of the 49ers who traded for and handed one of the largest contact to a LT that was just as injured and just as old as Armstead at the time of the trade. And look at what Williams has done for the 49er's OL.
First, I was making a joke.

Second, even if I was serious, your comparison is a little off. "Just as injured"...no. In just the last say, 6 years, Armstead has missed 6 or more games 4 times. Hell, Williams has only missed 6 games due to injury in a season twice in his entire 11 year career.

Third, it's not like i was shitting on Armstead. So, relax your sphincter.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If those two were my options, I am checking over that Chiefs contract offer again. Can't imagine picking either over a little less from the Chiefs, especially the Jets.
I agree but I doubt it is a "little less". I think he wants to be the top paid WR in the NFL. Didn't DaVante get $28M/year? He obviously cares about money more than winning

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If those two were my options, I am checking over that Chiefs contract offer again. Can't imagine picking either over a little less from the Chiefs, especially the Jets.
I'm surprised that the Rams aren't in the conversation, they seem to love big name WRs. Guess the cap has been massaged as much as possible for the Rams. Also they have no draft capitol.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised that the Rams aren't in the conversation, they seem to love big name WRs. Guess the cap has been massaged as much as possible for the Rams. Also they have no draft capitol.
Two 1st's and $30M/year. I don't think many teams have that kind of money or willing to give those assets for any WR

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would think that at some point players would learn that staying in a position of strength with a winning team > more money - but we see it nearly every year. Guys chase that $$$ and then wonder why they don't fit the scheme, the team, the culture, whatever it may be - and wonder how they ended up where they are.
Yea, he should definitely double check that KC offer. Money is one thing, but his fit in KC is great, where he's got a great QB. Those are open questions in NY and Miami.

All that money won't make him feel better when he's "frustrated with his opportunities" or "tired of losing". I remember Niner DT Dana Stubblefield won the DPOY and parlayed that into a huge payday in Washington. He's said he knew it was a mistake to leave SF almost as soon as he walked in Redskins' door.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but I doubt it is a "little less". I think he wants to be the top paid WR in the NFL. Didn't DaVante get $28M/year? He obviously cares about money more than winning
But isn't that just kind of a fallacy? I mean, unless the entire contract is guaranteed - players rarely ever see the actual AAV of the contract when it is signed. A lot of "ego" gets in the way.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm sure the Chiefs are offering something reasonable though. Tyreek already has a cap hit this season of $20.6M. If they were negotiating, have to think a raise was in play (possibly with a signing bonus to lower his cap hit this season).

Adams is at $28M (but is only making approx $23M this year and those last two years that inflate that average aren't guaranteed and have reealy low dead money numbers), Hopkins at $27.3, Allen and Cooper at $20M.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But isn't that just kind of a fallacy? I mean, unless the entire contract is guaranteed - players rarely ever see the actual AAV of the contract when it is signed. A lot of "ego" gets in the way.
Ohh yeah that's just a baseline. I assume the guaranteed money would be A LOT more from the Jets or Dolphins than Chiefs.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. If you look at the "real" Adams contract, it's 3 years/$22.6M, including the dead money if the Raiders take their out in 2025 (voiding the last 2 years at $40M per cap hit).

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohh yeah that's just a baseline. I assume the guaranteed money would be A LOT more from the Jets or Dolphins than Chiefs.

But postseason money wouldn't, and his performance has to drop.

If the Jets or Dolphins are truly this desperate, the Chiefs absolutely should take advantage.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was just thinking about the damage he could do for the Bills, but they don't have the cap space.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and I think with them signing Robinson and letting Woods go, they likely aren't even looking at a WR right now.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Jets give up a high pick this year it would be a BIG mistake. This WR class is loaded, a lot of talented WR's. I understand Hill is an amazing talent and means everything to that offense but he wants $25M/year...you can replace him with a great talent (no guarantee) on a rookie contract, you do it. Now this won't be a Jamarr Chase type of WR but if they get a top pick they can choose from pretty much any WR from this great rookie class

This WR draft class is incredibly overrated. None of these guys in this year's draft go 1st round last year unless Williams stays healthy.

Hell this entire draft is pretty crappy. That is why so many WR's are being mocked in the 1st round.

Go look at Moore as a prospect who went 2nd round to the Jets last year. He is a different WR than a lot of these guys....but I would rather have him than any of the prospect (again save Williams if his ACL isn't torn) in the upcoming draft.