• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free agency and trade thread

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

On it's surface, Wow!

You know this is hand in hand with Howie clearing $10M in cap space this year and trading for Hopkins or some other stud. Not likely a WR of course, but you get my point.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want no part of washed Zeke Elliott in Philly. I have to hope that the reports he is considering Philly are just pipe dreams from him and his camp.
After hearing a little more about it and seeing an interview with Zac Taylor it seems more like a Zeke wish list than a trio of teams courting him. I will say in the right situation I think he still can help an NFL team and Philly would be a good example of a team that could benefit from him. Problem is you already have 3 comparable backs

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

On it's surface, Wow!

You know this is hand in hand with Howie clearing $10M in cap space this year and trading for Hopkins or some other stud. Not likely a WR of course, but you get my point.
I’m 50/50 here. I don’t know if he’s clearing cap to add to the roster or if he is clearing cap with the hopes of kicking some of the cap on the inevitable Hurts extension to the 2023 cap. I don’t know the process for doing so or the dates when conversion to this year’s cap is legal but that could be the intent here. The only thing I could see this year is taking some of the 2024 draft capital and using it for a deal for Kevin Byard from Titans with a restructure and new deal for him.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m 50/50 here. I don’t know if he’s clearing cap to add to the roster or if he is clearing cap with the hopes of kicking some of the cap on the inevitable Hurts extension to the 2023 cap. I don’t know the process for doing so or the dates when conversion to this year’s cap is legal but that could be the intent here. The only thing I could see this year is taking some of the 2024 draft capital and using it for a deal for Kevin Byard from Titans with a restructure and new deal for him.
The Hurts deal is going to be part of everything they do this offseason obviously. Like I said the other day I can't imagine Howie doesn't bring in at least one biggish name/$ player. You have around $13M in cap space before this which is enough to do Hurts or add a couple of players, but not both if they are big $ guys. My guess is the Hurts extension costs about $7M-$8M against this years cap ($35M - $40M SB over 5 years). So maybe he does want to do the Hurts deal right now and get it out of the way and concurrently upgrade the roster. If you restructure Johnson you can clear up to another $10M in space. Like I said, it's just math and you can fit whatever you want against the cap within reason, but what Howie's plan is for a max he'll use this year versus rolling into next year becomes the question.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After hearing a little more about it and seeing an interview with Zac Taylor it seems more like a Zeke wish list than a trio of teams courting him. I will say in the right situation I think he still can help an NFL team and Philly would be a good example of a team that could benefit from him. Problem is you already have 3 comparable backs

If we hadn't signed Rashaad Penny, it would make sense, but it seems like he fills our need for a bigger back to compliment Kenny Gainwell and Boston Scott. I guess Zeke's more reliable than Penny, but also less explosive at this point in his career.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we hadn't signed Rashaad Penny, it would make sense, but it seems like he fills our need for a bigger back to compliment Kenny Gainwell and Boston Scott. I guess he's more reliable than Penny, but also less explosive at this point in his career.
But still an elite pass protector. It's just a numbers game for you. You don't need 4 average backs

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

On it's surface, Wow!

I think you understand what's going on here. This is a way to lower the cap hit this year by pushing his cap figure back into the future. It's a huge guaranteed number, but if Philly knows a good core veteran OT like Lane is coming back for one more year, it makes sense to do this and possibly free up cap room for either a Hurts deal or another splash free agent, or maybe both. I guess the risk is if he were to get popped for steroids again or hurt, it would be a huge dead cap number, but he remains one of the best OTs in football.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rumor is Kevin Byard if he is released, or possibly a trade for Devin White of the Bucs btw.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you understand what's going on here. This is a way to lower the cap hit this year by pushing his cap figure back into the future. It's a huge guaranteed number, but if Philly knows a good core veteran OT like Lane is coming back for one more year, it makes sense to do this and possibly free up cap room for either a Hurts deal or another splash free agent, or maybe both. I guess the risk is if he were to get popped for steroids again or hurt, it would be a huge dead cap number, but he remains one of the best OTs in football.
The details will come out about what and why as soon as we see them

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hurts deal is going to be part of everything they do this offseason obviously. Like I said the other day I can't imagine Howie doesn't bring in at least one biggish name/$ player. You have around $13M in cap space before this which is enough to do Hurts or add a couple of players, but not both if they are big $ guys. My guess is the Hurts extension costs about $7M-$8M against this years cap ($35M - $40M SB over 5 years). So maybe he does want to do the Hurts deal right now and get it out of the way and concurrently upgrade the roster. If you restructure Johnson you can clear up to another $10M in space. Like I said, it's just math and you can fit whatever you want against the cap within reason, but what Howie's plan is for a max he'll use this year versus rolling into next year becomes the question.
The number I just heard is that Johnson’s cap hit is reduced by roughly 10 million with this restructure. Maybe it is both. You can grab one vet in the 6-9 million a year range and still have room to put some of Hurts extension on 2023.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But still an elite pass protector. It's just a numbers game for you. You don't need 4 average backs
I think the Eagles draft a RB this year. What remains to be seen is when they take a back. Their draft is weird. They have 4 picks in the top 100 and then nothing until the 7th round. This is why myself and others think the Eagles look to trade down for more 2023 picks from either 10 or 30.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rumor is Kevin Byard if he is released, or possibly a trade for Devin White of the Bucs btw.

Just trade for byard

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we hadn't signed Rashaad Penny, it would make sense, but it seems like he fills our need for a bigger back to compliment Kenny Gainwell and Boston Scott. I guess Zeke's more reliable than Penny, but also less explosive at this point in his career.

Zeke is atill good between the tackles

He’s toast running outside

Idk how that meshes with what Philly already has though

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, if Lane gets popped again for PEDs, his contract becomes voidable. He is on his last straw with that having already been caught and disciplined twice. It’s a common piece of language in a contract like this that a team would have an out if he should get booted from the league because of something like this. I don’t anticipate the Eagles being screwed there. In fact, that would be a better outcome from a cap perspective than say injury. Johnson would still have right to the guaranteed dollars and thus would still count vs the cap.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just trade for byard
Howie can be patient. Byard doesn’t want to be there. Giving up more than a 6th or 7th round this year or a 5th in 2024 would be foolish for a player who likely forces himself out.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The number I just heard is that Johnson’s cap hit is reduced by roughly 10 million with this restructure. Maybe it is both. You can grab one vet in the 6-9 million a year range and still have room to put some of Hurts extension on 2023.
And the way the contract would be structured the year 1 hit will be half that. Howie would do like a 2 year $20M contract with a lot of the money in a SB or roster bonus and split over dead years. So you may have like a $3M-$4M hit year 1

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the way the contract would be structured the year 1 hit will be half that. Howie would do like a 2 year $20M contract with a lot of the money in a SB or roster bonus and split over dead years. So you may have like a $3M-$4M hit year 1
If that is the case then they may have room for 2 vets in that dollar range.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zeke is still a load to bring down.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel better. Zeke wants the Eagles. Doesn’t look like the Eagles want Zeke. I don’t blame him. Who wouldn’t want to run behind that OL.

Yeah, the Jets have two strong young runners too. More likely Zeke ends up back with the Cowboys?