• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free agency and trade thread

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
190 carries as a high, EVER.

Two headed attack, wonder who the other back will be. Only the Texas and Bama backs seem worthy of first round consideration.
What is your opinion of the Texas A&M kid Achune. He exhibited a lot of speed. I’m not sure how much A&M you’ve seen. He’s not a 1st round guy but he likely goes late 2nd early 3rd.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm always BPA with a slight lean towards position need, so I just want a guy who makes an impact from the start. With Cooks and Gilmore onboard, ideally an OG or DT for me but Robinson seems to be the choice for most Cowboys fans and he would certainly help from day 1. I also wouldn't mind a LB but they always seem to be a round 2 or 3 choice
BPA on a team’s board is always safest. When teams get locked on searching for a position that’s when they can get into trouble reaching for a guy. A DT I have my eye on is Kancey from Pitt. He has a ton of fast twitch for that position. His size will keep him out of the top end of the first round. However, as a 4-3 3 tech he can immediately provide some pass rush inside. You hope he can add to his frame another 10-15 LBs in the next few years. Speaking of DT, have you guys watched much of Texas this year? I’m wondering your opinions on Moro Ojomo. He’s also an intriguing take at DT later. His numbers show some pass rush potential as well.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pollard needs a mate, even without the leg injury. Them the facts. I think Dallas does very well scouting college players. Don't see a RB reach in the 2nd, think it's first round back or 3rd round.

The K State back looks to be the best 3rd day back to me. Love him in Dallas but not on the other NFC East teams.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pollard needs a mate, even without the leg injury. Them the facts. I think Dallas does very well scouting college players. Don't see a RB reach in the 2nd, think it's first round back or 3rd round.

The K State back looks to be the best 3rd day back to me. Love him in Dallas but not on the other NFC East teams.
His diminutive nature can be an asset in a zone scheme. It’s easier for him to hide behind the big uglies and explode into a developing gap.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
190 carries as a high, EVER.

Two headed attack, wonder who the other back will be. Only the Texas and Bama backs seem worthy of first round consideration.

Haven't we proven out that first round backs aren't a requirement anymore though? Could just sign D'Earnest Jackson, Ty Johnson, etc, then add a later round back in the draft as well?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of DT, have you guys watched much of Texas this year? I’m wondering your opinions on Moro Ojomo. He’s also an intriguing take at DT later. His numbers show some pass rush potential as well.

Is he a DT or a 3-4 DE? I've seem him described as both

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is he a DT or a 3-4 DE? I've seem him described as both
I'm not sure. I had just done some reading and was looking for more info from guys here who had seen him play.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talk with the guys who do this for a living.

1st round running backs are the easy path into uncomfortable 5th year decisions. Raiders botched theirs, Giants had to tag Barkley, etc. The RBs that earn that top echelon contract are few and far between anymore, and that's without the injury concerns.

Recent 1st rounders:
2022: none
2021: Najeh (meh), Etienne (injured rookie season)
2020: CEH (bust?)
2019: Jacobs (Raiders didn't pick up 5th year option)
2018: Barkely (tagged), Penny (always injured), Michel (bust)
2017: Fournette (waived by his original team, now a FA again), McCaffrey
2016: Elliott (FA, fell off over the last few seasons), Henry

Bijon appears to be the rarity this season, a true 1st round talent. Which team will ante up given the current climate though?

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st round running backs are the easy path into uncomfortable 5th year decisions. Raiders botched theirs, Giants had to tag Barkley, etc. The RBs that earn that top echelon contract are few and far between anymore, and that's without the injury concerns.

Recent 1st rounders:

Bijon appears to be the rarity this season, a true 1st round talent. Which team will ante up given the current climate though?
Good post. For the record, I’m averse to drafting a RB in round 1 because of much of what you cite. I would add that if you’re right and you have a great player on your hands you’re almost obligated to re-up (see CMC, Zeke). They’re still RBs though. They are a threat to drop off a cliff in their production. Now you have the added complication of skewing your cap allocation. Personally, RB isn’t a position I invest a ton of my cap on because of the reality that you can find a late round draft choice, mid round draft choice, or even undrafted RFA to run into the ground and then discard for another after you get that production.

That being said, if a talent like Bijou drops to the Eagles at 30, I don’t think you can pass just based on him likely being far and away the BPA at that spot. Not gonna happen though. I think he’s off the board earlier than that.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post. For the record, I’m averse to drafting a RB in round 1 because of much of what you cite. I would add that if you’re right and you have a great player on your hands you’re almost obligated to re-up (see CMC, Zeke). They’re still RBs though. They are a threat to drop off a cliff in their production. Now you have the added complication of skewing your cap allocation. Personally, RB isn’t a position I invest a ton of my cap on because of the reality that you can find a late round draft choice, mid round draft choice, or even undrafted RFA to run into the ground and then discard for another after you get that production.

That being said, if a talent like Bijou drops to the Eagles at 30, I don’t think you can pass just based on him likely being far and away the BPA at that spot. Not gonna happen though. I think he’s off the board earlier than that.

I agree, and Bijan appears to be the real deal and a valid 1st round pick. I just wonder how many teams are willing to make that pick these days. Someone will though.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Recent 1st rounders:

Looks like 8 combined All Pros and 5 out of the last 8 rushing titles between the 2016 and 2019 draft classes. Were you trying to prove you should or shouldn't draft a RB in the 1st :D

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like 8 combined All Pros and 5 out of the last 8 rushing titles between the 2016 and 2019 draft classes. Were you trying to prove you should or shouldn't draft a RB in the 1st :D

First of all, 3 years removed. Injuries have taken seasons by Barkley and McCaffrey. The average was 1 valid 1st round RB per those 4 drafts. The Super Bowl rate was better for the busts (CEH, Michel) than the others (Fournette), and even Fournette was on his second franchise.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Recent 1st rounders:

Henry was rd2.

I do think its worth separating the early 1sts from the late 1sts. Barkley, Fournette, CmC and Zeke are the early 1sts. Honestly thats not a bad hit rate. The issue with RB in early rd1 isnt the RB. Its that the team they go to often stinks. Fournette almost made a Super Bowl with the Jags and with top 20 QB play he would have. Won a Super Bowl with the Bucs. He is the worst of the bunch.

Late 1sts generally look like 2nd round picks, tbh. Jacobs might be the exception to that.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, 3 years removed. Injuries have taken seasons by Barkley and McCaffrey. The average was 1 valid 1st round RB per those 4 drafts. The Super Bowl rate was better for the busts (CEH, Michel) than the others (Fournette), and even Fournette was on his second franchise.
Even when they drafted him people thought CEH was a weird choice. Everyone assumed Swift or Taylor should have gone there. Swift would not have fallen in with all the other injured versions.

I think RB in the first makes sense if you are close to competing. It is extreme value for the first 4 years, and gone once the second contract is coming up. RB's can compete as elite day 1.

I also agree that Bijan is different. However, you could draft Bijans back up in the 4th and get a stud for 4 years as well. Not as good, but still damn good. Roschon Johnson is a beast who gets no notice because he went to the same school as Robinson

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I had a post last year when I showed it but the whole "late round RB" is a myth. Virtually every good RB in the league today was drafted in the first 3 rounds of the draft.

There were some exceptions from last year class that were interesting. Pierce and Pacheco. But for the most part any decent RB in the league today was take in about the top 80 picks or so. Obviously a few exceptions'. But a lot fewer and further between than people would have you believe.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone assumed Swift or Taylor should have gone there.
A lot of Chiefs fans were expecting CB there IIRC.

I had a post last year when I showed it but the whole "late round RB" is a myth. Virtually every good RB in the league today was drafted in the first 3 rounds of the draft.

There were some exceptions from last year class that were interesting. Pierce and Pacheco. But for the most part any decent RB in the league today was take in about the top 80 picks or so. Obviously a few exceptions'. But a lot fewer and further between than people would have you believe.
Last year's class was pretty deep. This year might be the deepest RB class I've seen. But then we might go five more years without seeing a class this deep so while I think you might be able to get a late round RB this year its definitely not something to rely on if its not a deep class. Most years you'll want to draft a RB top 50.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would make sense, RB was strange, and the one they went with was even more strange.
Fell in love with a small sample size of a player surrounded by talent making plays in the most important game. A lot of people are doing that this year with CJ Stroud, tbh.