• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free agency and trade thread

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,405.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Patriots signed RB James Robinson, formerly of the Jets, to a two-year, $8 million contract.​

Since breaking out as an undrafted rookie with the Jaguars in 2020, Robinson has seen a once-promising career quickly unravel. Robinson held onto his starting role in 2021 after rookie first-rounder Travis Etienne suffered a season-ending injury in training camp, but a torn Achilles in Week 16 would bring his year to an end and slow him throughout much of 2022. Despite an alleged clean bill of health entering last season, Robinson became expendable as Etienne emerged, leading the Jaguars to trade him for a late-round pick. Robinson appeared in just four games for the Jets, rushing 29 times for 85 scoreless yards. He was a healthy scratch for the final five games of the season. Now in New England, he could earn RB2 duties behind Rhamondre Stevenson next season, but it's more likely he's a lightly used member of a multi-back committee, making him hard to trust for fantasy.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bengals signed LT Orlando Brown, formerly of the Chiefs, to a four-year, $64.092 million contract.​

The Bengals continue to revamp their offensive line for star quarterback Joe Burrow. In his brief five-year career, Brown has blocked for the likes of Lamar Jackson and Patrick Mahomes, and will now anchor the left side of the Bengals' offensive line for the foreseeable future. After starting every game of his career at left tackle, fifth-year vet Jonah Williams will likely slide over to right tackle in the final year of his deal, while La'el Collins likely turns into a trade candidate or cap casualty. The Bengals can release Collins pre-June 1 and save $6.05 million in cap. Brown's $31 million signing bonus makes for a rather front-loaded contract, as he'll earn roughly $16 million in annual base salary.
Probably smart to front load that, isn't it? Considering the big paydays coming in 2024 and 2025 when Burrow, Higgins and Chase start getting their money.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'd get a 2nd from someone. Really highly regarded coming out of college and Denver has been a dumpster fire on offense.

Denver is definitely asking too much if they want more than a first

I'm not so sure. His 5th year decision is imminent for 2024 and as others have noted, he hasn't proven he can stay healthy, let alone be worth a first or second rounder in trade. The interested team could just draft a WR in the first or second this year and get 3 extra years of control and health.

Unless an OC thinks they can unlock Jeudy's upside, a mid-late 2nd is the absolute max and I would lean to a 3rd.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here ya go. This tweet explains it. Read the first comment.

As a part of their $8.8M in cap space, those lower salaries are already listed (and were yesterday) for each as their current salaries on spotrac so it doesn't save them anything further. Whether it was done or not in the past I can't say and I'm not sure what that account is. Seems to just be some fan reading other people's comments/stories. But I still don't see where it saves them anything.

A.J. Brown signed a 4 year, $100,000,000 contract with the Philadelphia Eagles, including a $23,234,000 signing bonus, $57,220,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $25,000,000. In 2023, Brown will earn a base salary of $1,080,000, a roster bonus of $510,000, a signing bonus of $10,266,000 and a workout bonus of $240,000, while carrying a cap hit of $8,318,894 and a dead cap value of $34,462,200.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Slay is staying put. Now if only Howie can get CJGJ to resign. That would be impressive to keep the entire secondary together. Did not think it was possible. Now he can play the draft and with 2 first round picks, cannot wait to see him swinging deals to bolster up the Dline.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a part of their $8.8M in cap space, those lower salaries are already listed (and were yesterday) for each as their current salaries on spotrac so it doesn't save them anything further. Whether it was done or not in the past I can't say and I'm not sure what that account is. Seems to just be some fan reading other people's comments/stories. But I still don't see where it saves them anything.

A.J. Brown signed a 4 year, $100,000,000 contract with the Philadelphia Eagles, including a $23,234,000 signing bonus, $57,220,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $25,000,000. In 2023, Brown will earn a base salary of $1,080,000, a roster bonus of $510,000, a signing bonus of $10,266,000 and a workout bonus of $240,000, while carrying a cap hit of $8,318,894 and a dead cap value of $34,462,200.
I’m not sure how it works but local sports talk radio was going with it this morning. Further context I heard is that Jeff Lurie can go into his pocket and front load $25 million in combined cash to both players and it would impact their cap position. Based on quickly looking at spotrac’s numbers it would seem that based on their reporting of 8 and 7 million they count against the 2023 cap they would be looking at 13 million. Maybe the $12 million impacts their cap position in 2024 as well and it’s a joint $25 in cap savings over 2 seasons? I’m not sure. I’m out of my element here and just trying to follow along leaning on experts.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Slay is staying put. Now if only Howie can get CJGJ to resign. That would be impressive to keep the entire secondary together. Did not think it was possible. Now he can play the draft and with 2 first round picks, cannot wait to see him swinging deals to bolster up the Dline.
Technically they’ve still lost Epps Edwards and Hargrave. Kyzier White was easy to let walk. Would have liked Epps and Edwards back but you have to make hard decisions and can’t keep everybody. Would be elated if they can get CJGJ done. My fear is that the 180 on Slay’s situation is saying to us that the Eagles didn’t feel like they could get anything done of the Gardner Johnson front.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Technically they’ve still lost Epps Edwards and Hargrave. Kyzier White was easy to let walk. Would have liked Epps and Edwards back but you have to make hard decisions and can’t keep everybody. Would be elated if they can get CJGJ done. My fear is that the 180 on Slay’s situation is saying to us that the Eagles didn’t feel like they could get anything done of the Gardner Johnson front.
I think the biggest threat if we lose CJGJ would be the Broncos or Bengals. That being said, my gut tells me he's staying in Philly. The biggest loss imo was Hargrave. The other guys are replaceable. The Eagles never have prioritized the LB position. We have Dean to fill the hole. Howie may find some undrafted or cheap FA to fill in. Same as the RB position. Love Gainwell. I think the Birds go best available DT or DE with first pick. Trade the 30th pick to gain more draft picks.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not sure how it works but local sports talk radio was going with it this morning. Further context I heard is that Jeff Lurie can go into his pocket and front load $25 million in combined cash to both players and it would impact their cap position. Based on quickly looking at spotrac’s numbers it would seem that based on their reporting of 8 and 7 million they count against the 2023 cap they would be looking at 13 million. Maybe the $12 million impacts their cap position in 2024 as well and it’s a joint $25 in cap savings over 2 seasons? I’m not sure. I’m out of my element here and just trying to follow along leaning on experts.
Seems it's already reflected if it's a 2023 impact being discussed. For cap purposes they often will reflect things that are "likely to happen" such as certain bonuses for number of games played, etc. AJ Browns total 2023 listed cap hit is only $8.3M and his salary is $1M and more than half of the cap hit is the allocation of his signing bonus which can't be changed for cap purposes as it's already spread out over up to 5 years. There is just nothing to save that I can see. Could be a future year being discussed but you wouldn't do that now as there is no benefit to doing it now. Maybe they are talking about what they will do next year to offset things they are moving into 2024 like Slays cap hit if not cut or Cox's next year cap hit

OR...spotrac and OTC could be obviously be wrong with what they have listed

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really understand what the Eagles are doing at this point, but I like it. It seems they are able to get many of their own vets to take hometown discounts. I still wonder how they're going to sign Hurts to a long-term deal at this rate though.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the biggest threat if we lose CJGJ would be the Broncos or Bengals. That being said, my gut tells me he's staying in Philly. The biggest loss imo was Hargrave. The other guys are replaceable. The Eagles never have prioritized the LB position. We have Dean to fill the hole. Howie may find some undrafted or cheap FA to fill in. Same as the RB position. Love Gainwell. I think the Birds go best available DT or DE with first pick. Trade the 30th pick to gain more draft picks.
I’m looking at draft in a similar way but a little different. If they bring back both CBs then they have the luxury of drafting BPA which in this draft coupled with Eagles past 1st round priorities is best DL on their board. At 30 though, I think they surprise us with Jahmyr Gibbs and if he isn’t there, then they trade down. I think it’s telling that they didn’t even talk to Sanders and then immediately jumped on Penny who isn’t going to be a primary back. Maybe they think Gainwell is the bell cow there but I don’t think so. I think Howie breaks precedent and drafts an offensive weapon at 30.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems it's already reflected if it's a 2023 impact being discussed. For cap purposes they often will reflect things that are "likely to happen" such as certain bonuses for number of games played, etc. AJ Browns total 2023 listed cap hit is only $8.3M and his salary is $1M and more than half of the cap hit is the allocation of his signing bonus which can't be changed for cap purposes as it's already spread out over up to 5 years. There is just nothing to save that I can see. Could be a future year being discussed but you wouldn't do that now as there is no benefit to doing it now. Maybe they are talking about what they will do next year to offset things they are moving into 2024 like Slays cap hit if not cut or Cox's next year cap hit

OR...spotrac and OTC could be obviously be wrong with what they have listed
They created another year in the contract, a dummy year in 2027. Based on the tweet and Spottrac’s numbers, I see 13 million in recouped cap space. There is a benefit to doing it now. There is a 10 day window in the contract language that allows them to do this by escalating a future payment. The NFL salary cap is an easily manipulated mirage and Howie may be the best in the league at it.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really understand what the Eagles are doing at this point, but I like it. It seems they are able to get many of their own vets to take hometown discounts. I still wonder how they're going to sign Hurts to a long-term deal at this rate though.
Hurts will be cheap on the 2023 cap. His extension is what he will negotiate this summer and that doesn’t kick in on the cap until 2024. Part of the ability to do this is that technically the Eagles will have one more year with their QB on a rookie deal.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hurts will be cheap on the 2023 cap. His extension is what he will negotiate this summer and that doesn’t kick in on the cap until 2024. Part of the ability to do this is that technically the Eagles will have one more year with their QB on a rookie deal.

Yeah, it seems they are trying to run it back one more year before signing Hurts to the big deal and having to let a lot of vets go. It makes some sense, because guys like Kelce, Graham and Cox are near the end anyway.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They created another year in the contract, a dummy year in 2027. Based on the tweet and Spottrac’s numbers, I see 13 million in recouped cap space. There is a benefit to doing it now. There is a 10 day window in the contract language that allows them to do this by escalating a future payment. The NFL salary cap is an easily manipulated mirage and Howie may be the best in the league at it.
No. What I am saying is that what you are hearing they WILL DO in the next few days is already reflected in the numbers on the website and part of why they have $8.8M in cap space now instead of being over the cap. They can't do it again. Look at the "Option Bonus" column: It looks like at some point they converted $10.266 of salary into an option bonus. This was split over 5 years and saved $8.2M in 2023 ($10.266M - $2.053M). But again it's already been accounted for

see the footnote on the bottom: "2023 Option Bonus: $10.26M (guaranteed, must be exercised 3/15/23 - 3/23/23)"

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What will hit this year is 1/5 of the signing bonus. So if he gets a big signing bonus (and we all assume he will, right?) there will be an impact. For arguments sake, let's say he gets a $40M SB. One fifth of that or $8M will hit this year

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerrah is working something. Is it resign Schultz or is it bigger? It’s scary hours if they deal for DHop.
Tough to say. Probably a Diggs extension and at least one more big $ player added via trade or free agency. Perhaps Schultz, but my hope would be Hopkins and Wagner. If Schultz goes, a not so great receiving corps from last year is even weaker this year and needs to be addressed and I'm not a huge fan of the FA WRs out there as anything but complimentary guys