• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Conference Finals Predictions Thread.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither. I guess I presumed it would be Nuggets and Celtics, but didn’t want Celtics to win and didn’t care if Nuggets won.

Ok. So would you root for Miami for the rest of the playoffs, unless they don't make the Finals?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and didn’t care if Nuggets won.

Are you interested in either of the two assisters in the playoffs, in Jokic and James?

What about the best stealer? Well Murray is averaging 3.0 steals in his series, and Butler is averaging 3.7 steals in his. So those are some great numbers.

Smart is the leading assister in his series, but I am more interested in Butler as an assister, because of his size.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what stops older players from scoring more? Do they shoot poorer because they aren’t as strong anymore? Do they not have lift in their legs to get the proper shot off? Are they not part of the plays called? Are they not playing as many minutes? Are they not running as fast? are they not getting to the line as much and we just don’t see free throws? Are younger players getting the calls? I would assume that one was settling for jumpers when they get older instead of driving to the hoop, which would either get a basket or a foul in many instances.

My question comes from the over under on James scoring being 24.5. It seems like in an elimination game, you would expect a higher scoring game, even though you know Denver is going to defend him. He don’t want to force things. Sometimes he won’t shoot the ball. Michael Jordan said something about averaging 32 points being that all he needs to do is score 8 points in a quarter and that was easy for him.

Other than when alone was with the Lakers or his last year in Utah, he always averaged over 22 points. In fact, if you go to the year before, it was pretty high. I fully expect LeBron James to scoreless over a period of time when he’s older. I’m just saying, the expectation of any individual game should be more wild.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it depends on the type of player.

For some players, it's because they are slower, and not able to to have the speed to get as open looks.

Or, they are not able to draw as many fouls.

Or if you're not good perimeter shooters like Russell Westbrook and Michael Jordan, once you lose the ability to drive and get open, and you have to take more perimeter shots, you will be easier to defend because a higher percentage of shots will be perimeter shots, and thus more clangs.

They also dunked less later in their careers, and were probably worse at FG% at the rim.

Whoever set the Over/Under, they make it seem like James scoring more will solve a lot of problems.

Is that going to stop Denver from making 19 more 3's in the series? Or rebounding so well?

Also, Denver has won for different reasons in each game.

Also, Jamal Murray is averaging 35 ppg, and Denver has 5 guys averaging 14+ ppg. That has more to do with it than one guy scoring a few more points for the Lakers.

I also think James has been playing pretty well.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you know when Al Horford‘s time out gesture was in game one? I thought it was in the last minute or so and then Miami scored and won the game, but apparently it’s at a different time based upon the play-by-play. either way I thought that was great that Butler got them back. I don’t like when people celebrate too early. I didn’t think that but her celebration was too early because they were up by 30 points almost. It’s a fact that it was too early for Horford because they lost the game.

No, I didn’t have any problem with Mutombo wagging his finger or other celebrations. I just thought it was funny that you act like well I made the three so you’re going lose as opposed to Mutombo saying don’t bring your shot near me.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll try to find out more about it.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My trophy presenters are Fat Lever for Denver and Glen Rice for Miami.

I wanted to pick these before the conference finals, but with the draft lottery being on the same day, I didn't have time to think about it and make a good trophy presenter pick.

Also I just realized that Chris Andersen played for Miami in 2013 and 2014. Would be funny if he was a presenter for both Denver and Miami.

I wanted to pick Mutombo, but the Nuggets have seemed to have distanced themselves from him.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you know when Al Horford‘s time out gesture was in game one? I thought it was in the last minute or so and then Miami scored and won the game, but apparently it’s at a different time based upon the play-by-play. either way I thought that was great that Butler got them back. I don’t like when people celebrate too early. I didn’t think that but her celebration was too early because they were up by 30 points almost. It’s a fact that it was too early for Horford because they lost the game.

No, I didn’t have any problem with Mutombo wagging his finger or other celebrations. I just thought it was funny that you act like well I made the three so you’re going lose as opposed to Mutombo saying don’t bring your shot near me.
55 - 47 in the 2nd quarter.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I didn’t have any problem with Mutombo wagging his finger or other celebrations.
That's why Kessler needs to do his own version, where he holds out a stop sign after blocking a shot, and says "don't walk this way".

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
James with 21 points in the first quarter.

I think Denver will have better defense at some point in this game.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver leading into the 4th.

I think the 4th quarter will be decided by rebounds.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven’t done very many predictions, so this really is not a criticism, but I think it’s funny how every year you have a few sweeps predicted.

@MHSL82, you never let me pick sweeps.

I don't pick sweeps in this round, and it happens.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@MHSL82, you never let me pick sweeps.

I don't pick sweeps in this round, and it happens.

See, that’s why. If you had predicted a sweep, Hachimura would’ve pulled a Paxton/Kerr at the buzzer yesterday and I would be betting money on the Celtics tonight.

Seriously though, one thing I was happy about was that LeBron took the last shot, even though it was contested. I felt that they were going to pass it to someone else and they were going to miss. Someone stupid like Vanderbilt or Russell. Yes, I know that Vanderbilt didn’t even play yesterday.

The fact that he played every minute of the game, performed well and shot well, and didn’t leave it to someone else to miss to scapegoat, was pretty cool for me. I also understand if there’s a better shot, they should take it, but at least represent it to me that he was going to give it his all. Having Jordan Poole shoot the non-winning doink is what I expected.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In case you don’t watch the above video, it just basically shows LeBron taking plays off, even though he’s in the game. When you play that many minutes, you’re going to be tired. He has some decoy value. It’s just whether his decoy value is more important than another player who is actually going to be running around doing something. His assertiveness to get the ball is also a factor.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he's taking plays off. I saw it.

Sometimes, other people are initiating plays, that's all.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having Jordan Poole shoot the non-winning doink is what I expected.
This should be the new phrase for clangs or bricks.

Great post.