• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023-24 Flyers: What's new is old again.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else watch the game last night? I thought Fedotov looked pretty comfortable in net. He is so fricking big that he looks awkward. He seemed to have good puck control and movement. The two goals he gave up were not going to be stopped by 90+% of goalies.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else watch the game last night? I thought Fedotov looked pretty comfortable in net. He is so fricking big that he looks awkward. He seemed to have good puck control and movement. The two goals he gave up were not going to be stopped by 90+% of goalies.
He did very good, the fact his first save was on a break away from Barzel was awesome. I think if he can get comfortable and a solid defensive performance in front of him he'll be good and keep us in games.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya I liked him for sure. He roams out of the net pretty aggressively. Didn’t bite him last night but I bet there’s some adjustment there. Bigger ice you can get away with a little more.

Looked good with the puck though. That clear on the PK was great. Huge help to the PK to have a goalie that can do that.

And ya, he’s huge haha

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To the 1st bold, I guess my stance is they're not really playing down to their competition. IMO their roster doesn't justify expecting to win against anyone. The Hawks and Sharks excluded, those are tanking rosters. But I just don't think they're leaps and bounds better than a lot of those other teams. They're just playing above the 'sum of their parts' level and they've gotten better goaltending than a lot of the teams right under the playoff line.

And the 2nd bold, that consistency is the difference between middle 6 guys and legitimately top line players. You need guys like Frost, Tippett, Farabee, etc on those 2nd and 3rd lines so when they're hot you get balanced scoring. Your 1st line needs to be putting up numbers week in and week out all season. TK can be a solid contributor to a 1st line, but he's not going to drive a cup contending 1st line either. He's 48th in the league in points right now. There are guys with almost double his total.
Yeah and we have two regulation losses to those tanking rosters. It's unacceptable. Even for a team without much high end talent, that's embarrassing. That's four points which should've been in the bank. Things look a lot differently right now if we have 87 points instead of 83.

We may not have the legitimate top line forwards or defense, but we're pretty deep everywhere else, especially now with Seeler/Drysdale back and the addition of Fedotov.

I also think it's fair to say that Konecny should be way higher than 48th in points. He missed 6 games, hasn't had Couturier with him much for awhile now and our power play has been God awful the entire season. Konecny is elite, but he's not getting much help. Some of these other guys definitely have the potential to be more regular scorers, especially Frost, Farabee, Foerster and Tippett. It's just not happening often enough yet.

This squad is learning something right now. It's an 82 game season, not 70. We've been bailed out time and time again when our rivals also lost, but now, they're getting the occasional win and we'll have our longest losing streak of the season (6) if we don't beat Buffalo on Friday night.

Last edited:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, the big Ruskie looked like he will make the necessary adjustments and enter beast mode status. I think he will be a great addition.

This team really has to begin to adjust as a team over the accumulation of annoying small crap and continue to progress. Losing 5 straight is just annoying. Maybe they will fixed what seems to be ailing us and it starts against Buffalo Friday.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BOSTON – Gridiron Club of Greater Boston president Tim Whelan Jr. announced today that Boston College sophomore forward Cutter Gauthier (Scottsdale, Ariz.) is recipient of the 72nd Walter Brown Award, presented annually to the best American-born Division One college hockey player in New England.

Going into the NCAA tournament quarterfinal round, 6-3, 190-pound Gauthier leads the nation both in goals scored with 35 and game-winning goals with ten.. He has also amassed 24 assists; his 59 points place him second in the country in overall scoring. Gauthier was a First-Team Hockey East All-Star and is one of ten candidates for the 2024 Hobey Baker Award. He was also a key contributor in the United States team's gold medal triumph at the 2024 International Ice Hockey Federation World Junior Championship. He was drafted with the fifth overall pick by the
Eff him

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazingly, Buffalo blows Washington away and we still hang onto 3rd in the Metro by a thread. Now we need Pittsburgh to beat them on Thursday and Columbus to beat the Isles. Basically, we need far too much help unless we start winning games. I would say that if we don't get four points from Buffalo and Columbus this weekend, it's over.

If we lose to Buffalo, that just invites them back into the race and we have 4-5 teams on our ass instead of 2-3. Any loss to Buffalo is not only a season long losing streak, but the season is over in my opinion.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is one reason I do like Torts, and he's right about these soft ass players. These last few games could be the reason a couple of these guys aren't here next season.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love his size he took up a lot of the net. Looked pretty comfortable for someone who didn't expect to play,

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, the big Ruskie looked like he will make the necessary adjustments and enter beast mode status. I think he will be a great addition.

This team really has to begin to adjust as a team over the accumulation of annoying small crap and continue to progress. Losing 5 straight is just annoying. Maybe they will fixed what seems to be ailing us and it starts against Buffalo Friday.
Lets go kick some Sabres butts on Friday!!!

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is one reason I do like Torts, and he's right about these soft ass players. These last few games could be the reason a couple of these guys aren't here next season.
Cant blame the players for the losses as its tough to win when your goalie is giving up 2-3 weak ass goals per game.

Although you are right some of these guys dont deserve to be on the team next year.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant blame the players for the losses as its tough to win when your goalie is giving up 2-3 weak ass goals per game.

Although you are right some of these guys dont deserve to be on the team next year.
While I agree, the players have to play a full 60 minute game. They were doing this up until about 10 games ago. Lots to work on in the off season for sure.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I Love that they played to the end of the game the other night and proved that nobody has given up. :rockon:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Canadian players trial:​

What happens next in this case?​

The judge from the pre-trial meeting will gather all the information from Wednesday’s session and make an estimation of how long this trial should last. They will consider how many witnesses will testify, what type of evidence will be introduced and make a determination for how much court time will be required.

“The judge might say, ‘This trial will take 15 days and there will be three or four pre-trial motions,'” said Lust. “Or if the judge estimates this trial will be two months long, that tells you there will be a ton of evidence.”

A trial scheduling conference — tentatively scheduled for April 9 — will take place to firm up the exact dates of the trial. The Crown attorneys and defense lawyers will attend a virtual meeting with the trial coordinator’s office to find a window that works for everybody involved in the case.

The legal experts still believe that with the backlog in cases currently clogging the system, this case likely won’t reach the courts until 2025 — although at least one legal expert thinks there is a slim chance this could be heard at some point in 2024.

“Here in London, they’re moving faster on this case than on other cases,” said Afolabi. “They’re moving mountains to make this trial happen.”

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good article and spot on. I totally agree with the assertions of the author stating that the Flyers really need to fill not only the talent issue in the player department but also the on-ice leadership holes that we obviously sustain. Hopefully Briere can pull-it-off and most of believe he will at some point. All of us believe there is a Lord Stanley's Cup run in the Flyers future. It really is a matter of time or when and not if!!

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree talent issue and on ice leadership has been a problem with our organization for about 10 years now.
Good article and spot on. I totally agree with the assertions of the author stating that the Flyers really need to fill not only the talent issue in the player department but also the on-ice leadership holes that we obviously sustain. Hopefully Briere can pull-it-off and most of believe he will at some point. All of us believe there is a Lord Stanley's Cup run in the Flyers future. It really is a matter of time or when and

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some torts quotes from yesterday:

"I've been through it many times. I like our team's mentality, I like how we're very unselfish, there are no egos, we're all pulling for each other and that's usually a good recipe to finish strong."

"Make no mistake about it, I am proud of our team," Tortorella said. "From Day 1, when you could see this room come together, I love coming to the rink and working with these guys. But it's my job to make sure they understand where we're at now. We're not regular season now. We have put ourselves in this spot. Let's not fade away and say, 'You know what, we're not even supposed to be here.' That sucks. We're here. That's where I think I've done a sh--ty job, I want to make sure we're going to go at this the proper way. I don't want regrets."

"It's about getting to another level," Tortorella said. "I do think some guys are struggling to get there and I think it can be taught. Some guys have it in them. But to get to another level, a level you don't even think you know about, that can be taught, that's part of my job. That's what I want to happen.

"If you want to win, you better not even think about going there," he said. "I'm not disrespecting the fans or you guys. We need to create our own narrative down there, we need to create our own mindset down there. That's my job, is to create that and then let's run with it. We just need to block it out. I get that, everybody has to report on stuff and everybody has their feelings and you have a perfect right to them — we need to block that out.

"To me, it's mindset. Mindset is a very important part of what we're going to talk about tomorrow as we start a six-game sprint here and find out what we're made of."

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who?