• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023-24 Flyers: What's new is old again.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the athletic:

The Flyers remain engaged in contract discussions with Seeler and Sean Walker, and there’s a chance that the two — who have been partners for most of the season — will stay with the team on multi-year deals. Nothing has changed since general manager Daniel Briere, who has been very transparent, said as much in his media availability in Washington last Friday.

This is probably going to go down to the wire. The Flyers know they might not get their best offers until shortly before the 3 p.m. deadline, and, as Briere has said, they don’t feel they’re under immense pressure to make a deal simply for the sake of making a deal, considering they are still in third place in the Metropolitan Division. They’re also not opposed to taking a player or players back in a deal, especially if it helps them plug a hole to keep them afloat in the playoff race.
Good news. I hope they can keep all three!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the all three keepers fantasy is done. Walker goes and we get a sweet deal out of it. Briere is the man!!

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the all three keepers fantasy is done. Walker goes and we get a sweet deal out of it. Briere is the man!!
I have more confidence in the current system to get a good pick versus what we had in the past. To me, being ex-players, Jones and Briere are like having a second scouting team.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kevin Kurz tweeted the Flyers preferred a 2025 1st to a 2024 1st based on their scouts input. I guess they prefer next years draft class, at least in the 25-32 range where Colorado's pick will probably be.

Interesting. Good that the scouts are providing input like that. Also another bullet point to them not looking for quick fixes and being committed to rebuilding right.

Kurz also threw cold water on the Chychrun rumors.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeler extended. 4 years, 2.7M.

More years than I would have preferred, but 2.7M is not bad
Maybe a year too long but I doubt there is a real drop in his game between years 2, 3 and 4. With this cap hit, he could still be trade bait after year 2 or 3. Definitely not to bad.

chy1127

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kevin Kurz tweeted the Flyers preferred a 2025 1st to a 2024 1st based on their scouts input. I guess they prefer next years draft class, at least in the 25-32 range where Colorado's pick will probably be.

Interesting. Good that the scouts are providing input like that. Also another bullet point to them not looking for quick fixes and being committed to rebuilding right.

Kurz also threw cold water on the Chychrun rumors.
I was wondering about that. My thought was if there were 3 this year, they could definitely trade up if they wanted. Anyway, a 1st for Walker is something old regime could have never accomplished. Basically Provy turned into another 1st. I was wondering about Johansen. We are one the hook for $4 mill next year with Nashville eating the other $4 mill. He really doesn't fit the plan for next year. Another team can take him for $4 mill for next year but is he even worth? Are we stuck with him and $4 mill next year?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers also picked up a 5th to retain some salary in the Hannifin to VGK deal last night. A 5th is probably not going to be a huge impact, but i like Danny using everything as his disposal to acquire assets.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wondering about that. My thought was if there were 3 this year, they could definitely trade up if they wanted. Anyway, a 1st for Walker is something old regime could have never accomplished. Basically Provy turned into another 1st. I was wondering about Johansen. We are one the hook for $4 mill next year with Nashville eating the other $4 mill. He really doesn't fit the plan for next year. Another team can take him for $4 mill for next year but is he even worth? Are we stuck with him and $4 mill next year?

Reading around seems like we're probably stuck with his 4M for next year. Also sounds like him and Torts didn't get along in Columbus. So.. i guess we'll see what happens. I think the Flyers would still have 2.85M on the cap for him if he went to the minors.

Always a chance he doesn't report to the Phantoms and then we get in to suspension, mutual contract termination type stuff. But he'd be throwing away like 10-11M if he did that. But talk about a shit sandwich to have to take. Go from a cup contender, playing every night in a top 9 role. To getting traded to a rebuilding team and sent to their minor league team.

Messing around on cap friendly, looks like they could buy him out in the summer and he'd be a 1.3M cap hit next season and the season after (for PHI and for NSH). Lindblom's buyout comes off this summer and Deangelo's next summer. So the buyout situation (max 3) wouldn't get any worse, just continue for another year.

Last edited:

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was the cost of upgrading a 2nd round pick to a 1st.

This team will not be ready to truly contend until Michkov comes over, so the timeline is fine.
Keep acquiring high level assets.

chy1127

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading around seems like we're probably stuck with his 4M for next year. Also sounds like him and Torts didn't get along in Columbus. So.. i guess we'll see what happens. I think the Flyers would still have 2.85M on the cap for him if he went to the minors.

Always a chance he doesn't report to the Phantoms and then we get in to suspension, mutual contract termination type stuff. But he'd be throwing away like 10-11M if he did that. But talk about a shit sandwich to have to take. Go from a cup contender, playing every night in a top 9 role. To getting traded to a rebuilding team and sent to their minor league team.

Messing around on cap friendly, looks like they could buy him out in the summer and he'd be a 1.3M cap hit next season and the season after (for PHI and for NSH). Lindblom's buyout comes off this summer and Deangelo's next summer. So the buyout situation (max 3) wouldn't get any worse, just continue for another year.
A buyout isn't as bad as I thought. $1.33 to save $2.67 for two years doesn't hurt too badly. Who knows, if someone has an injury he could get claimed.

Last edited:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I buyout isn't as bad as I thought. $1.33 to save $2.67 for two years doesn't hurt too badly. Who knows, if someone has an injury he could get claimed.

I'm kind of surprised they put him straight on waivers and 'the internet' seems to think there's no chance he gets claimed. 23 points in 63 games this season, 53.8% corsi (shot attempts while on the ice) this year which could be bloated by playing for a good COL team. But his corsi relative to his teammates is positive too.

So ya, overpaid even at the 4M number maybe, but doesn't seem like he's an outright drag. And with the Flyers needing centers I'm kind of surprised they don't seem interested in giving him a look. Especially since his deal goes through next year too.

Only thing I can think of is that Torts/Johansen relationship is really bad.

chy1127

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm kind of surprised they put him straight on waivers and 'the internet' seems to think there's no chance he gets claimed. 23 points in 63 games this season, 53.8% corsi (shot attempts while on the ice) this year which could be bloated by playing for a good COL team. But his corsi relative to his teammates is positive too.

So ya, overpaid even at the 4M number maybe, but doesn't seem like he's an outright drag. And with the Flyers needing centers I'm kind of surprised they don't seem interested in giving him a look. Especially since his deal goes through next year too.

Only thing I can think of is that Torts/Johansen relationship is really bad.
He can still play even though he is waived, correct? Will be interesting to see if he gets to hit the ice.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'26-'27 is the next year where we will have no buyouts, no dead cap, no Atkinson, no Petersen etc. The only remaining trash so to speak will be one year left of Ellis and Risto. The cap really opens up for the franchise that season and the next. So, I'm sure Briere is doing everything possible not to fuck that up, but also to get as many assets as possible out of this year's cap, next year's and '25-'26 as well.

The Hayes' buyout definitely sucks. We're paying him over $3.5 million this season, next season and the season after (to not play for us) and he scores the fluke goal that eventually leads to our shootout loss in the last game. The fucking irony.

Last edited:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough deal tonight also. The Isles (only 4 points back) play the worst team in the Nhl and we play the best. Fortunately, we do own the tiebreaker over them by a wide margin. If they did eventually clear us in points, we'd have to stay ahead of Detroit or Tampa to make the playoffs.

I'd say there are 9 teams in the race for the 8 spots and the winner of Caps/Pens tonight is the 10th and probably final team in the race. Everyone else has faded away. A couple of teams are definitely going to be fucked and I hope we're not one of them.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough deal tonight also. The Isles (only 4 points back) play the worst team in the Nhl and we play the best. Fortunately, we do own the tiebreaker over them by a wide margin. If they did eventually clear us in points, we'd have to stay ahead of Detroit or Tampa to make the playoffs.

I'd say there are 9 teams in the race for the 8 spots and the winner of Caps/Pens tonight is the 10th and probably final team in the race. Everyone else has faded away. A couple of teams are definitely going to be fucked and I hope we're not one of them.
FWIW, all of the remaining games are essentially playoff games for us.

We have improved our long term outlook compared to the start of the season.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, all of the remaining games are essentially playoff games for us.

We have improved our long term outlook compared to the start of the season.
Yes and these next two games at Florida tonight and at Tampa Saturday night are going to be incredibly difficult. We're minus Drysdale, Risto, Seeler and Walker, so we have to rely heavily on Attard and Ginning. I'm assuming Florida will dress Tarasenko and both of these teams will be absolutely gunning for us after we beat them both in February. There's a lot at stake here for all parties involved.

Hopefully we get Konecny back and play some really good team defense in front of Ersson.