• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 schedule wasn't that easy.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am going over as well. That being said, if we don’t get ten wins, I hope we don’t win a game.

you think 9 wins squeaks into the playoffs?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9 to 10 wins could mean playoffs but until i see the new offense i cant see it happening

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9 to 10 wins could mean playoffs but until i see the new offense i cant see it happening

can it be any worse than last year's offense? We should have a top 10 defense this year. Of course, anything could happen. Are you over on the 6.5-win total?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can it be any worse than last year's offense? We should have a top 10 defense this year. Of course, anything could happen. Are you over on the 6.5-win total?
Haven’t decided yet

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like this is a yearly thread now, unfortunately.

Not everyone bought into the "easy schedule" during the pre-season last year. I believe only one poster kept repeating that when he gave his 11-win prediction.

Once again, we are discussing the "anything can happen" scenario and "sneaking into the playoff" hope. I wish someone would explain to me why "sneaking" into the playoffs should be our goal and we should aim for this on a yearly basis. I think we are on at least year #3 with this same pre-season discussion. It was to the point last year that the discussion was based around Watson staying suspended so we could win the Browns game. I don't get it. Hoping for a player to be suspended or stay injured so the team can win is absurd. It makes our fanbase look desperate and weak if we continually state we want to squeak in the playoffs.

It appears the stick it to Vegas discussion has made its way back to the board. This is now becoming a tradition. We must prove Vegas wrong and stick it to oddsmakers apparently. Last year, the idea of manning up and putting money down on the team was mentioned. Turns out, Vegas was mostly spot on. Again, I don't understand the desire to prove oddsmakers wrong on a yearly basis.

Will the offense be better? Who knows? We have a QB who is going to be a first-time, full-time starting QB possibly. Brissett might beat him out. We also have a first-time, full-time OC. Bottom line, there are several question marks at this time. We could be very good, or very bad. Seems like the pundit opinion at this time is that we are still close to the bottom. Time will tell once we hit the field.

I am not getting into the Rivera topic again. A 9 win season should NOT be enough to keep him around. Hopefully, Harris realizes that 1 winning season in 6 years is NOT enough to build around.

Last edited:

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it should not save his job. Squeaking into the playoffs after five years should get your ass fired.

I disagree, a playoff berth should save his job. A playoff win should cement it. No doubt I believe RR is on the hot seat this year.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree, a playoff berth should save his job. A playoff win should cement it. No doubt I believe RR is on the hot set this year.

Why would a playoff berth save his job? He has been unable to accomplish anything in five years but his mistakes have been easily measured. We have a new owner and a new coach would fit perfectly for next season…letting everybody in the organization know mediocrity is not acceptable.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would a playoff berth save his job? He has been unable to accomplish anything in five years but his mistakes have been easily measured. We have a new owner and a new coach would fit perfectly for next season…letting everybody in the organization know mediocrity is not acceptable.

correct RR has made mistakes. Not denying that. I just don't think the new owner will fire RR if he gets into the playoffs while playing in arguable the toughest division in Football right now. Players play for him and respect him.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is correct. You have to look at the totality of what Rivera has done as coach...but more importantly...GM in his time here. Then, you have to look at what he has done in his entire career.

Are Harris and Magic willing to support Rivera and tap him as the future foundation for their newly purchased 6.05 billion dollar team? I highly, highly doubt it. There is literally no data you can manipulate that would point to Rivera being a long-term foundation as coach/GM if he gets to 9 wins in year 4.

I am shocked that this is even a debate. Why would Harris and Magic want someone who would have had 4 winning seasons in 13 years as the man who will turn around the entire franchise? Dean is making no sense here and not seeing the big picture.

So we are meant to believe that Harris/Magic will turn to Rivera after conducting a broad search for a GM to rebuild the franchise and shape the future of the organization? They will conclude that the man to get the job is already in-house? Can somebody explain this to me?

Rivera getting to the playoffs is not the norm in his career. Rivera getting to the playoffs and winning a game is an outlier for sure. Recent quotes sum this up better than I can:

In 12 years as an NFL head coach, Ron Rivera has won 5-8 games nine times. All three of the exceptions featured Cam Newton at quarterback. He's won a playoff game in 2-of-12 seasons. The mediocrity has been accompanied by a “bad quarterback” alibi in Washington, but anyone who has only three winning campaigns in nine Newton seasons probably isn't doing it right. With either Sam Howell or Jacoby Brissett under center for 2023, Rivera isn't about to unlock another level to his game."

"The Commanders remain committed to his leadership all the same. That is an area where Rivera excels, but even that began to founder in 2022 as he seemed driven to madness by Carson Wentz. By the end of the season, Rivera didn't even know what it took for the Commanders to make the playoffs. Although seemingly a Hall-of-Fame person, Rivera is anachronistic coach who won't be there by the time Washington finally takes the next step."

Last edited:

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
correct RR has made mistakes. Not denying that. I just don't think the new owner will fire RR if he gets into the playoffs while playing in arguable the toughest division in Football right now. Players play for him and respect him.

Players play for money and contracts.

Respect doesn’t win games. RR’s mistakes are the reason we don’t win.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed. This isn't High School or College Football. This isn't win one for the Gipper....

I like Rivera and think he is a great person and is good for the NFL. However, he isn't a GM...not even close. The game is passing him by and his mistakes are adding up. I am positive Harris/Magic will see that. Let's see what Harris and Magic have done with their franchises when it comes to GMs:

76ers = Elton Brand (44 years old)
Devils = Tom Fitzgerald (54 years old)
Dodgers = Andrew Friedman (46 years old)

If Rivera is retained and chosen to lead the franchise, then it looks like:

76ers = Elton Brand (44 years old)
Devils = Tom Fitzgerald (54 years old)
Dodgers = Andrew Friedman (46 years old)
Commanders = Ron Rivera (61 years old)

Which of these things does not belong? Which one of these things does not fit the pattern of GMs Harris/Magic employe?

Last edited:

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So let me get this straight. RR gets into the playoffs; you think we should fire him. IF he wins in the playoffs, are you still firing him or keeping him?

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we are now digging up the loyalty to the coaches lecture....again

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let me get this straight. RR gets into the playoffs; you think we should fire him. IF he wins in the playoffs, are you still firing him or keeping him?

If RR misses or squeaks into the playoffs, you fire him.

Anything else, you evaluate in the real world and not some random hypothetical.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If RR misses or squeaks into the playoffs, you fire him.

Anything else, you evaluate in the real world and not some random hypothetical.

Simple question, are you firing RR if he wins a playoff game? What is there to evaluate if he achieves something (winning a playoff game) that this franchise hasn't done in years. I can see taking his GM duties away but not firing him if he wins a playoff game. Just my opinion.