• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 New Head Coach - Candidates and Favorites

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be a lateral movement but it might be a better opportunity where he has more control to market himself as a HC for the following years.

Let's remember though. Mayo played under Belichick so for a lateral movement it is going to be tough, IMO to make that one happen.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be a lateral movement but it might be a better opportunity where he has more control to market himself as a HC for the following years.

Let's remember though. Mayo played under Belichick so for a lateral movement it is going to be tough, IMO to make that one happen.

He’s currently their LB coach. Isn’t getting promoted to coordinator a promotion and not a lateral movement?

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’s currently their LB coach. Isn’t getting promoted to coordinator a promotion and not a lateral movement?
You would think so, but NE doesn't have a defensive coordinator listed on staff so Mayo does a lot of what the DC would do, so in name it is a promotion for sure, but in reality it is not. Brian Flores was the linebackers coach for NE when hired by Miami.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One guy I haven't seen mentioned much is Kris Richard .. From everything I have seen of him, he had me ready to run through a wall .. He was on Dan Quinn's staff in Seattle during the Legion Of Boom era, and might worth looking at as defensive coordinator, esp if Quinn is a serious contender as HC

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize Brian Flores got fired - he jumps to the top of my list of guys to check on.

I heard that Paton is going to ask each interviewee what their plan would be at QB for the long term.
Flores would jump to the top of my list, as well. I feel like he was turning that ship around down there.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Flores has some communication and disconnect with players reading about him. I also think the Dolphins ownership is awful so there are probably some issues between the two. Flores seems to a very good coach but maybe not the best people skills from the sounds of it.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn’t mind seeing a more hard nose type leadership guy here. There’s something off as far as leadership goes on this team. There isn’t really any one player that puts this team on their shoulders. I think we have a good locker room, don’t get me wrong, but I’m talking about having that guy you would run through fire with/for

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying there is a realistic chance of it happening, and while the Brian Flores situation is completely different, it sort of plants the seed of "anything is possible" - what would the thoughts be on Mike Tomlin, if he were to become available ??

There seems to be plenty of candidates as it is, but for the sake of discussion, I think Tomlin would be one guy who wouldn;t have to wait more than a few hours before some team offered their HC spot to him ..

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add Brian Callahan to the list of guys to be interviewed.

At Christmas time there is the Santa tracker, we are going to need a Paton tracker to keep up with where he is at.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought of something last night when I couldn't sleep. (Thinking about football apparently is like counting sheep for me) ;)

I was thinking Jerod Mayo was the co D-Cord (and I think he was sorta) but he has had the tag line of LB coach. So his move as a D cord here wouldn't be lateral. So still some hope we could bring him in as the D cord.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying there is a realistic chance of it happening, and while the Brian Flores situation is completely different, it sort of plants the seed of "anything is possible" - what would the thoughts be on Mike Tomlin, if he were to become available ??

There seems to be plenty of candidates as it is, but for the sake of discussion, I think Tomlin would be one guy who wouldn;t have to wait more than a few hours before some team offered their HC spot to him ..
Yea, there is no chance. Just a reminder on the Steelers culture and history. In the past 53 years, there have been THREE coaches. We've had 3 in the last 6 years!

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, there is no chance. Just a reminder on the Steelers culture and history. In the past 53 years, there have been THREE coaches. We've had 3 in the last 6 years!
We'll see how coaches do without an anchoring QB in Pittsburgh.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see how coaches do without an anchoring QB in Pittsburgh.
I know we are in a different time, but really in the past 53 years, they've only had two very good QBs - Bradshaw and Roethlesberger. But I wouldn't consider either elite. Both will be in HOF. Their next best QB in the other 24 years? Would that be Kordell Stewart? The point being, they aren't quick to make a change in the HC position like we have been over the past decade +.

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am really looking at Hackett and like what he would bring. After Fangio's ho hum personality an energetic guy like Hackett could be exactly what we need. Rodgers gave him a ringing endorsement yesterday and praised not only his work in GB but what he did with that Jacksonville offense a few years back. He is rising to my first choice regardless of whether that brings Rodgers in or not.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know we are in a different time, but really in the past 53 years, they've only had two very good QBs - Bradshaw and Roethlesberger. But I wouldn't consider either elite. Both will be in HOF. Their next best QB in the other 24 years? Would that be Kordell Stewart? The point being, they aren't quick to make a change in the HC position like we have been over the past decade +.

Probably Neil O'Donnell. He took the Steelers to the Super Bowl.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just based on my studies of Pope succession. If the last one was a big pope - the next one will be a small pope. If the last pope was conservative - the next pope will be progressive. If the last pope was bald -the next one will have hair.

Therefore - the last Bronco's coach was older and with a defensive specialty - the next Broncos coach will be younger with an offensive specialty,

I was wondering if having a strong football guy like Paton - would increase or decrease a Peyton Manning interest in putting together a managing general partnership.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best way to rank Roethlisberger's career, IMO is probably a tier between the elite guys and good guys... So something like between (Brady, Rodgers, Brees, etc) and Philip Rivers/Matt Ryan (In their prime). In the middle of this spectrum.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best way to rank Roethlisberger's career, IMO is probably a tier between the elite guys and good guys... So something like between (Brady, Rodgers, Brees, etc) and Philip Rivers/Matt Ryan (In their prime). In the middle of this spectrum.
I would agree with this, but most importantly when thinking about Ben Rothlisberger for the HOF - he played almost every Sunday and the level he could achieve as a QB - he consistently gave it to the team. He allowed the Steelers to plan for 15 years with an absolute known performance commodity. That is invaluable.