• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 New Head Coach - Candidates and Favorites

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was also thinking Vance got hired as a "leader of men." VJ - though got told by Elway who his coaches were going to be - immediately under cutting VJ's leadership stature among the coaches and players.
This. Vance was a puppet here. I hope he does well in his next opportunity. He was set up to fail here.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think married life has made me appreciate the simplicity of chemistry .. And seeing "success" or happiness as something not to be taken for granted ..

When something works, those involved are to be commended ... and recognized for playing a role in that success ..

I'm sitting here contemplating whether or not, in my book, a QB needs to win a SB to be considered "elite" .. and while not every QB on the winning side of a SB should be considered elite, I think in order to be "elite", you need to do it on the biggest stage ..

Jim Kelly is a guy who made it to 4 straight SBs, but never won .. If Scott Norwood hits that FG, is Jim Kelly elevated from "great QB" to "Elite" status ?? .... It;s not that simple ... but Kelly is an interesting example if I am going by my own criteria ..

Perhaps if Jim Kelly was elite, that game wouldn;t have come down to one kick

Was Warren Moon elite ?? .. on the other hand, how about Steve Young - he won three ...

Maybe with my own criteria, elite is the wrong word ... I guess a QB can be elite and still not quite be one of the all-time best ...

I think some of the discussion here is more about wording than how we feel about certain QBs ..

I would consider Big Ben "elite" but I would not consider him one of the best of all-time - that club is for the rare breed

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think married life has made me appreciate the simplicity of chemistry .. And seeing "success" or happiness as something not to be taken for granted ..

When something works, those involved are to be commended ... and recognized for playing a role in that success ..

I'm sitting here contemplating whether or not, in my book, a QB needs to win a SB to be considered "elite" .. and while not every QB on the winning side of a SB should be considered elite, I think in order to be "elite", you need to do it on the biggest stage ..

Jim Kelly is a guy who made it to 4 straight SBs, but never won .. If Scott Norwood hits that FG, is Jim Kelly elevated from "great QB" to "Elite" status ?? .... It;s not that simple ... but Kelly is an interesting example if I am going by my own criteria ..

Perhaps if Jim Kelly was elite, that game wouldn;t have come down to one kick

Was Warren Moon elite ?? .. on the other hand, how about Steve Young - he won three ...

Maybe with my own criteria, elite is the wrong word ... I guess a QB can be elite and still not quite be one of the all-time best ...

I think some of the discussion here is more about wording than how we feel about certain QBs ..

I would consider Big Ben "elite" but I would not consider him one of the best of all-time - that club is for the rare breed
I'll call this one Chapter II of the autobiography you started tonight. I feel like I'm getting drawn into the story already.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say Brian Callahan has some support among long time Bronco front office guys. He coached for the Broncos under 2 or 3 different coaching staffs.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like when it comes to a coaching hire it never seems to be the favorite, it never seems to be the most popular guy that a teams fanbase wants.

I am going to go with a total gut feeling and say we hire Kevin O'Connell. There is something about the Rams that George Paton loves. He made 3 trades with them this season. He seems to have a close connection. No inside knowledge on this just a possible gut feeling off a trend. I think I am pretty much open minded and have no CLEAR favorite and will be fine and trust Paton with whomever. I am just anxious to know so we can move on.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First two interviews are done - Glenn and Getsy. Those, IMO, were warm up interviews. First serious candidate is tomorrow with Hackett.

(now watch us hire one of those warm up guys! ;))

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nathaniel Hackett is understandably talked about in regards to the passing game and Aaron Rodgers, plus having been QBs coach in Jacksonville ( before being promoted to OC there ) ... But as offensive coordinator with the Jags, his team lead the league in rushing in 2017 .. and Hackett's 2013 OC stint in Buffalo saw the Bills field two nearly 1,000 yd rushers, with Fred Jackson going for 896 yds and CJ Spiller rushing for 933 yards ..

Hackett is likeable, very articulate and positive

I think he'll be in Denver next season

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shhh, article from a local newspaper about Getsy:
Not including college coaches who have made the jump to running an NFL team, Cincinnati’s Zac Taylor is the only current coach who was hired despite no coordinator or play-calling experience.

That move has worked out for the Bengals, who won the AFC North and host Las Vegas in Saturday’s wild-card playoff round.

Might Luke Getsy be ready for the same rise?

The first step for Getsy, the 37-year old quarterbacks coach for the Green Bay Packers, was interviewing for the Broncos’ head-coaching vacancy Friday.

The second candidate to meet with Broncos general manager George Paton and his committee of team executives, Getsy wrapped up his meeting around 5:15 p.m. Friday according to the club.

The Broncos’ traveling party will interview Green Bay offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett on Saturday morning before flying back to the Denver area to wait out this weekend’s playoff games. They met with Detroit defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn on Thursday.

Eight candidates are on teams that play in the wild-card round and their interviews have not been scheduled: Brian Callahan (Cincinnati) and Jerod Mayo (New England) on Saturday, Dan Quinn/Kellen Moore (Dallas), Jonathan Gannon (Philadelphia) and Eric Bieniemy (Kansas City) on Sunday, and Kevin O’Connell (Los Angeles Rams) on Monday.

It is believed to be Paton’s preference is to do all interviews in-person.

Because the 13-4 Packers have the NFC’s only first-round bye, Getsy and Hackett can meet with interested teams. Hackett interviewed with Jacksonville on Friday and will also meet with Chicago on Saturday.

Packers coach Matt LaFleur told reporters on Wednesday that Getsy has done an “outstanding job.”
The Packers have made the playoffs in six of Getsy’s seven years on the staff.

Getsy started his college playing career as a quarterback at Pittsburgh, then transferred to Akron. In 2005-06, he set 24 individual school records and had a Mid-American Conference-leading 3,455 passing yards. He passed for 41 touchdowns in two seasons.

Getsy started his coaching career in 2007-08 as a graduate assistant at Akron under coach Joe Moorhead. From there, he was the offensive coordinator at West Virginia Wesleyan (’09), a graduate assistant at Pittsburgh (’10), offensive coordinator at Indiana University of Pennsylvania (2011-12) and receivers coach at Western Michigan (’13).

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Continued:
Packers coach Mike McCarthy brought Getsy to the NFL as a quality control coach in 2014. Two years later, he promoted Getsy to receivers coach and Jordy Nelson, Davante Adams and Randall Cobb all had at least 60 catches and 600 yards.

“My goal (as the new position coach) at the beginning was to just let them know I’m willing to do anything to help them be great and at the same time, I’m going to love them, too,” Getsy told the Jackson (Miss.) Clarion-Ledger in 2018.

Getsy left Green Bay after the 2017 season to join Moorhead at Mississippi State as offensive coordinator and receivers coach. Moorhead called the plays.

One year later, Getsy was back in Green Bay as the quarterbacks coach for LaFleur.

“He’s an excellent communicator, great teacher, great team guy,” LaFleur told reporters. “I think he sees the game the right away. He’s got such a great presence. Players respond to him so it’s a great opportunity for him (to interview with the Broncos) and another guy we would hate to lose, but would be happy for him and his family.”

Jumping from position coach to head coach is rare, but it worked for Philadelphia when it hired Packers quarterbacks coach Andy Reid in 1999, and it is working for Taylor, who also interviewed with the Broncos in January 2019, in Cincinnati.

An ancillary aspect of the Getsy interview: The Broncos could be interested in him as the new offensive coordinator if they hire a defensive-minded coach.

Rodgers told reporters Thursday that Getsy, who is also the passing game coordinator, “has a great energy about him.”

In Getsy’s three years, Rodgers leads the NFL with 111 touchdown passes and is second with a 109.2 passer rating. He is favored to win his fourth league MVP award.

“(Getsy has) all the qualities that you look for when you think about a leader,” LaFleur said. “Do I think he’s ready (to be a head coach)? Absolutely.”

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I read an article like that, I’m reminded what a nomad life most coaches live. He had to either be single or have a really understanding wife to pull up stakes and be moving every year or so from one job to another. We all think what a great life, and pay, coaches who “make it” have. But there are 100s of other guys who do it just cause that’s what they love doing.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's Hackett's to lose
Interesting that you think so, Thinker. He does have 3 interviews this week, the other two being Jacksonville and Chicago. I could see Jacksonville making a serious run at him.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's Hackett's to lose
I hope Paton and the search committee do not have favorites so they give every candidate the opportunity to take the job.

I think ultimately it will come down to Hackett and Quinn. I hope if it is Hackett that he does not plan on calling plays.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're not betting on Brian Callahan you're wasting your money.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Hackett gets the job I think it’s pretty much a lock that Getsy comes with and gets promoted to OC.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Hackett gets the job I think it’s pretty much a lock that Getsy comes with and gets promoted to OC.
That might depend on his contract. If he’s under contract the Packers don’t have to let him go. And might promote him to OC in GB.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think it’s interesting that George wants to interview each candidate in person - even during this Zoom age.

I like that.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That might depend on his contract. If he’s under contract the Packers don’t have to let him go. And might promote him to OC in GB.
He could be promoted in GB that's for sure. And I could be mistaken but I believe teams can't stop coaches from taking a promotion with another team but they can if it'll be the same job like when Munchak came here as O-line coach.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could be promoted in GB that's for sure. And I could be mistaken but I believe teams can't stop coaches from taking a promotion with another team but they can if it'll be the same job like when Munchak came here as O-line coach.
And I could be mistaken, but I don’t think that’s the case. ;). But some coaches are better than others about letting assistant coaches out of their contract. I know that my nephew is still under contact with the Packers next year, so it’s unlikely he will move, even if Hackett gets another job.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don’t remember who it was on Broncos Country tonight, but they didn’t think Getty would come with Hackett, and they hinted at Hackett would call plays for the offense.