• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 NBA Offseason thread

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ripken’s isn’t more probable than the hitting streak, not even close. 500 games is more than 3 seasons…active players can’t even get to that number let alone freaking ridiculous 5x that number. Most of those are unbreakable but that might be the most astonishing. All you need is one tweak in today’s game and they will make you sit out for precaution. Back then it was different but even then it’s insane. Most players don’t play 16 years let alone don’t miss a game
Yeah that's fair. Both are impossible.

I was looking at baseball stats on former Giants and looked up Hunter Pence. His best years there were 2013 and 2014. What struck me was he played in all 162 games both years.

Now, I imagine maybe occasionally a player plays all 162 one year today. But I bet he's the last to do that in 2 consecutive years.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was just quickly reviewing the Heat schedule. Some weird scheduling quirks there.

They play the Warriors 2x in 5 days in late October/early November.
Play the Celtics and Raptors 3x each by December 2nd.
Face the same opponent in consecutive games at home 6x this season

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They opted for Orlando/OKC instead of Warriors/Heat on TNT lol

Paolo vs Chet makes some sense there though. When you've got to get the bad teams airtime too, they usually pair up the rookie matches.

As for the Heat, my guess is they don't actually rate very well nationally, so that's why there's a cap on their games no matter how good they are.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 23,459.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the NBA off season thread, baseball should be discussed in the NBA off topic thread.....

Or are people lost? Well, I'm here to help....

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that's fair. Both are impossible.

I was looking at baseball stats on former Giants and looked up Hunter Pence. His best years there were 2013 and 2014. What struck me was he played in all 162 games both years.

Now, I imagine maybe occasionally a player plays all 162 one year today. But I bet he's the last to do that in 2 consecutive years.
Grady Sizmore was before that and playe 162 in consecutive seasons in 2007 and 2006.....in 2005 he played 158 and in 2008 he played 157.........and then he got bad injury problems and was never close to the same--- a cautionary tale. I bet very few guys in the last 25 years have missed only 9 games in 4 seasons.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grady Sizmore was before that and playe 162 in consecutive seasons in 2007 and 2006.....in 2005 he played 158 and in 2008 he played 157.........and then he got bad injury problems and was never close to the same--- a cautionary tale. I bet very few guys in the last 25 years have missed only 9 games in 4 seasons.
Agreed, and no one does that anymore. Pence was probably the last to do back to back 162s

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was just quickly reviewing the Heat schedule. Some weird scheduling quirks there.

They play the Warriors 2x in 5 days in late October/early November.
Play the Celtics and Raptors 3x each by December 2nd.
Face the same opponent in consecutive games at home 6x this season
Don't most teams have weirdness like that through sheer random messiness of scheduling everyone?

SMOKEY95

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who do you have listed as your 5th starter?

A two way player.

With all the other options that I listed as an alternative, you think a guy who can play 50 games max is going to be the starter?

Based on averaging 3 ppg in 15 total appearances?

Sure, sure...

That would totally be on brand for the Kangz to start a guy who isn't even on a standard contract, over Holmes or even choosing to slide Sabonis to the 5 and starting the guy they took #4 overall.

Makes sense.

QUETA IS A FAN FAVORITE HE WILL BE STARTING AND AFTER A MONTH INTO THE SEASON KEEGAN WILL BE STARTING AT SF​

NO WAY HOLMES IS STARTING AFTER ALL THE DRAMA THAT TRANSPIRED

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I think it's literally impossible to break that one. The next closest is 44 (Pete Rose). Like mathematically so improbable it can't happen. Every time a player gets into the high 20s the shows start watching. 30+ is a big deal. No one else has even 40. It will never ever ever happen. Ripken's won't be broken either but that is more probable than 56

No way Ripken streak is more probably than 56.

Just no way.

The fact that 30 and 40 game hit streaks exist and the random chance involved kind of proves that it is possible although unlikely.

And the thing is, Joe D’s streak was flukey as hell too.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess but i only checked miamo schedule and the national tv schedule

Here is the thing though.

It isn’t disrespect.

It is about what is going to bring the best ratings and bring in the most money for the networks.

The Heat are a very good team. Everyone knows it. But they lack a marketable superstar that national viewers are eager to watch.

So they aren’t going to get as many national games as the teams that do have those players. Even when those teams are worse.

And if anything, you should be happy the Heat don’t get the national games. Because for a blue collar team like them, you bet they can use it as bulletin board material.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the thing though.

It isn’t disrespect.

It is about what is going to bring the best ratings and bring in the most money for the networks.

The Heat are a very good team. Everyone knows it. But they lack a marketable superstar that national viewers are eager to watch.

So they aren’t going to get as many national games as the teams that do have those players. Even when those teams are worse.

And if anything, you should be happy the Heat don’t get the national games. Because for a blue collar team like them, you bet they can use it as bulletin board material.

It isn't fun for end of year awards. If Miami had boston national tv games while boston only had 10, there is little doubt in my mind that Bam wins DPOY. That's my issue with it. A lot of the "experts" who vote on these awards only watch the national tv games so if you play most of your games on league pass games you won't win anything unless you pull a Herro and destroy the competition as he did for 6MOY. Any awards/all nba stuff voting edge will go to the players who were on national tv much more. You also need to give teams credit for having great seasons in the previous years. Can't improve a team national tv games by just 1 when they were much better last season. It is nonsense

My other beef with the NBA is this Saturday night on ABC crap which supposed to be the best teams against each other but they instead use the same teams every year. Suns, Memphis, and Miami who were 3 of the top 4 teams in basketball (record wise) last season and you couldn't find a single ABC primetime slot for not one of those teams? Lol match Memphis or Phoenix up with the Warriors. Match Miami up with Boston or Philly if ratings is your concerned but you have to find room for at least 1 of them on your abc primetime slate.

NFL does a way better job of this. Bengals make the superbowl last year and they are awarded with 4 primetime games (5 if you include TNF). Got to reward teams for great seasons imo

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 23,459.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't fun for end of year awards. If Miami had boston national tv games while boston only had 10, there is little doubt in my mind that Bam wins DPOY. That's my issue with it. A lot of the "experts" who vote on these awards only watch the national tv games
Prove it or STFU.