• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 Lions Off-Season Thread

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyone hoping that the Lions would possibly trade for Falcons WR, Calvin Ridley, can now forget that idea. Pride of Detroit had previously posted an article regarding this topic.

In a series of tweets Monday after the suspension was announced, Ridley said he bet $1,500 total and that "I don't have a gambling problem." He also tweeted that he couldn't even watch football at the time he made the bets. He added that he's just going to "be more healthy when I come back" and that, "I know I was wrong But I'm getting 1 year lol."

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor says they are looking to sign one of the top WR available. I am not sure it is a great idea, but if we are going to spend it is the biggest need.

True, but it's not like the original writer of said scenario stepped out on a limb with his alleged information. Agents can spew whatever they want in hopes of getting one of their clients a big contract.

The Lions expected to be ‘major players’ in WR market​

This one comes from Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press, who said after asking around, he expects the Lions to be aggressive in the wide receiver market during free agency.

“The agent for one of the top pending free agent receivers said the Lions indicated in a meeting last week they value his receiver in the same financial ballpark he expects his player to fetch in free agency,” Birkett wrote on Sunday. “And multiple other sources view the Lions as legitimate contenders to sign one of the position’s premier free agents.”

This isn’t exactly one of the most surprising rumors for the Lions. Detroit has basically spent all offseason publicly declaring their desire for an improved receiver room. Whether it was Antwaan Randle El saying he wants to add three this offseason, Ben Johnson saying this offense needs a vertical threat and a big red-zone target, or Dan Campbell expressing his own desire for some receiver competition, this is no secret.

There is no word on exactly who the Lions may be targeting, but the top receivers expected to be available include Allen Robinson, Chris Godwin, and DJ Chark Jr.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor says they are looking to sign one of the top WR available. I am not sure it is a great idea, but if we are going to spend it is the biggest need.

Also, it isn't wise to going into the draft hoping to secure the exact type of WR they're looking for - a stretch the defense type or one who wins one - on - one's

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hhhmmm. IDK about this, but when they stated the Miles Killibrew situation it kind of makes sense. 2.4M seems like an overpay in my mind.

C.J. Moore

Actual role in 2021

17 games (1 starts): 22 tackles, 1 INT
PFF grade: 82.6 on special teams (26th of 218), 59.2 on defense

Moore met expectations in just about every way. He played more special teams snaps than all but one player (Anthony Pittman) as a four-phase player. He tied for second on the team with eight special teams tackles.

But he actually played on defense quite a bit, too.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, it isn't wise to going into the draft hoping to secure the exact type of WR they're looking for - a stretch the defense type or one who wins one - on - one's
Well the first 2 are going to be extremely expensive and Chark does not win 1 on 1s. Still Chark is probably the closest and still young. I want to draft a WR that can be a number 1 too.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to draft a WR that can be a number 1 too.

I sure as hell hope we do that.
Where does Christian Watson skyrocket to off those crazy numbers? Top 50?
I doubt we have the chance to draft London.
I don't see Olave being anything other than a high-end Z.
Burks didn't do himself any favors with a 4.55.
G. Wilson most likely won't be there at No.32.
Jameson Williams is a risk with ACL and one year of production out of a scheme that enhanced his abilities.

Well the first 2 are going to be extremely expensive and Chark does not win 1 on 1s. Still Chark is probably the closest and still young.

Godwin tore his ACL and MCL late Dec. 2021, so I don't think you have to worry about him being a likely choice.

Allen Robinson had the Kenny Golladay syndrome this past year with the nagging hamstring injury and he'll more than likely still be relatively expensive. I think we could possibly discount him as an option.

Chark fractured his ankle late September 2021.
BTW, Chark is better versus man than zone and it isn't close, plus he has a slightly higher rate of drops versus the latter. He's not a true contested catch WR versus zone but versus man he's better than 50%.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't object to the signing of iDL Sheldon Richardson for one year
or
signing Quinton Jefferson to a 2–3-year deal knowing that this year is most likely Brockers last. It would ensure having a vet iDL to help continue bringing along the younger guys.

Either of these two would have to come relatively cheap, but I'd expect Jefferson to get a couple Mil more than Richardson.
No, I wouldn't cut Brockers as that would be paying him nearly 8M to sit at home or play elsewhere. The saving would only be 1.1M.

Only Onwuzurike has enough game experience with J. Cornell, Bruce Hector and Eric Banks all inexperienced.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd also like to see them sign TE Mo Alie-Cox. He surely hasn't received a lot of targets. He should come relatively inexpensive being 29 years old, but I'm not completely sure on that. He'd be great as that 6th man on the line for jumbo packages.

Best blocker: MO ALIE-COX, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Cox has been buried on Indianapolis' depth chart since signing with the Colts as an undrafted free agent in 2017, but he’s made a name for himself in the blocking department. The 6-foot-5-inch behemoth allowed seven total pressures from 118 pass-blocking snaps over the last four seasons, leading to a 75.3 pass-blocking grade in that timeframe — the fifth highest among tight ends with at least 100 pass-blocking snaps. He’s an effective run blocker as well, posting a 70.8 grade across 964 run-block snaps since 2018.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not our off-season player but...... we do play Seattle in 2022

Russell Wilson, if he approves the deal, being traded to Broncos

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^

Denver gets Wilson and a 4th rd
Seattle gets two 1sts, two 2nds and a 5th round plus Noah Fant, Shelby Harris and Drew Locke

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Lions signed Reynolds to a two-year contract, per his agent. Exact financial details are not yet available, but Mike Garafolo of the NFL Network notes the deal is expected to be worth $12 million.
I am good with it. Only 2 years. Gives us some flexibility. Goff has a security blanket too, but we still need a number 1 and maybe a speedster. If we grab Chark in FA and draft a number 1 we will be in decent shape on Offense.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am good with it. Only 2 years. Gives us some flexibility. Goff has a security blanket too, but we still need a number 1 and maybe a speedster. If we grab Chark in FA and draft a number 1 we will be in decent shape on Offense.

I think $$$ for Chark may end up being more than what Holmes would like to spend assuming Chark ends up getting close to his alleged market value. IDK.

Market Value​

• 4 yrs, $47,625,492
  • Avg. Salary: $11,906,373

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should Holmes not outright give Fox a 3–4-year contract that could come back to haunt him.
I can see offering the ERFA only, for the time being, as a current money savings tactic, but damn that's risky.
Maybe Fox receives an extension later on this season or Holmes waits for next year when Fox would become an RFA.

An ERFA is a player on an expiring contract who has been accrued two or fewer seasons in the NFL. If a team decides to offer an ERFA a tender, that means they are offering a one-year, typically minimum-salaried contract. The ERFA player can then decide to sign that tender or sit out the 2022 season. They do not have the option of negotiating with another team.

In other words, expect all 13 of the following players to be back in Detroit on a minimum-salary deal. Here’s a look at each player who was given an ERFA tender.

P Jack Fox
K Riley Patterson
LS Scott Daly
CB Mark Gilbert
S JuJu Hughes
RB Godwin Igwebuike
WR Tom Kennedy
OG Tommy Kraemer
OT Matt Nelson
EDGE Jesse Lemonier
LB Anthony Pittman
CB Bobby Price
TE Brock Wright

not receiving an ERFA tender was

Edge Rashod Berry
PC Ryan McCollum
S Jalen Elliot

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should Holmes not outright give Fox a 3–4-year contract that could come back to haunt him.
I can see offering the ERFA only, for the time being, as a current money savings tactic, but damn that's risky.
Maybe Fox receives an extension later on this season or Holmes waits for next year when Fox would become an RFA.

An ERFA is a player on an expiring contract who has been accrued two or fewer seasons in the NFL. If a team decides to offer an ERFA a tender, that means they are offering a one-year, typically minimum-salaried contract. The ERFA player can then decide to sign that tender or sit out the 2022 season. They do not have the option of negotiating with another team.

In other words, expect all 13 of the following players to be back in Detroit on a minimum-salary deal. Here’s a look at each player who was given an ERFA tender.

P Jack Fox
K Riley Patterson
LS Scott Daly
CB Mark Gilbert
S JuJu Hughes
RB Godwin Igwebuike
WR Tom Kennedy
OG Tommy Kraemer
OT Matt Nelson
EDGE Jesse Lemonier
LB Anthony Pittman
CB Bobby Price
TE Brock Wright

not receiving an ERFA tender was

Edge Rashod Berry
PC Ryan McCollum
S Jalen Elliot

Those 3 for sure would like back. The rest I am not too concerned about losing.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think $$$ for Chark may end up being more than what Holmes would like to spend assuming Chark ends up getting close to his alleged market value. IDK.

Market Value​

• 4 yrs, $47,625,492
  • Avg. Salary: $11,906,373
It is much better than what Robinson or Godwin will get. They are over 15 mil/yr

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those 3 for sure would like back. The rest I am not too concerned about losing.

I disagree.
LS Daly should be retained as having 1 year of chemistry and cohesion with Fox Is Imortant.
Tommy Kraemer should be retained also until they come across another option whether it be through UFA or draft. Kraemer is depth for training camp.
PK Riley Patterson performed admirably and should be considered as possible replacement for the other two larger than life PK, Sebert and Rojas.

Retaining any of these ERFA's doesn't create any guaranteed money and in some cases minimal cap hits to absolutely zero cap hit.