• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 107% rule is a sporting regulation affecting Formula One racing qualifying sessions. During the first phase of qualifying, if the circuit is dry, any driver who is eliminated in the first qualifying session and fails to set a lap within 107 percent of the fastest time in that session will not be allowed to start the race without permission from the race stewards. For example, if the fastest Q1 lap time was 60 seconds, each driver who is eliminated in the session must complete at least one lap within 64.2 seconds to guarantee a race start. The 107% rule was introduced for the 1996 season and remained in force until 2002. It was reintroduced for the 2011 season with minor modifications due to the knock-out qualifying format.

That help?

They say that LeClerc's transmission is fine but I am still a little skeptical and keeping my fingers crossed.

That type of accident is aggravating and doesn't bode well for the race IMHO.

For me when I think of previous winners I don't recall that kind of goof, or loss of focus, so I have serious doubts as to whether he is mentally ready to win at Monaco.

Hopefully Sainz will find his way up to the front of the pack as well.
got it. So if some guy is so slow & shitty he wont be allowed to be a speed bump & a danger to the rest of the field in the race.
Nascar as a similar rule but for in the race. A minimum speed is set before the race or they are black flagged.
Thanks.
I assume they were talking of the 107% rule because of Schumacher not running in qualifying.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
got it. So if some guy is so slow & shitty he wont be allowed to be a speed bump & a danger to the rest of the field in the race.
Nascar as a similar rule but for in the race. A minimum speed is set before the race or they are black flagged.
Thanks.
I assume they were talking of the 107% rule because of Schumacher not running in qualifying.
There was a Formula 2 driver who fell outside the 107% rule this weekend, so that is why they were talking about it.

If a driver can't go in qualifying, they use their fastest times in Free Practice, and Mick was well within the 107% with that.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks.

They used to refer to the Fortis as a rolling chicane...

1621797527789.png

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would?

I read Hamilton will get a new chassis and Bottas will inherit Hamilton's.

Not certain if it's brand spanking new or not, or only different?
They said during Quali today that they basically switched. The one Lewis is using is "newer" but it is one Valterri has used before.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup.

Confusing as fuck...
Apparently it's something that Merc does. They switched Nico to a chassis Lewis was using the year he (Nico) won the WDC. It's about the parts that the driver likes and upgrades. Not that one is better. I can't imagine one is considerably different than the other.

To a degree, I am sure it's people trying to stir up the conspiracy theory that they are sabotaging Valterri.

Plenty of other stuff to push that theory, however. This seems to be SOP.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently it's something that Merc does. They switched Nico to a chassis Lewis was using the year he (Nico) won the WDC. It's about the parts that the driver likes and upgrades. Not that one is better. I can't imagine one is considerably different than the other.

To a degree, I am sure it's people trying to stir up the conspiracy theory that they are sabotaging Valterri.

Plenty of other stuff to push that theory, however. This seems to be SOP.
My theory was hamilton was comfortable with the older one. Bottas was using the newer one. But now Bottas will be leaving merc. They put Bottas in the older one & Hamilton in the newer one

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not 2021 news, but:

Interesting that both Porsche and Audi have a seat at the table. Domenicalli was working for VW Group and was apparently *this* close to getting a VW developed engine into the Red Bull before the diesel scandal. He was aligned closer to Lamborghini in the corporate structure so it might have been branded that.

Now he's way up in F1 and he knows how bad Porsche and Audi want in as well as what they can to.

Although Audi has said they are not going to stop building internal combustion engines around 2025... Maybe it will be branded Lambo or Bentley or something.

Edit: translated the article and bio/synthetic/renewable fuels are heavily discussed. That explains Porsche and Audi's involvement. They are already started down that path.

Last edited:

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Season is approaching half over, and we’re now looking at a 2 week break after being spoiled with races the last 3 weeks, so let’s chat about the season so far.

Biggest surprise team
McLaren - expected them to be good, looking like a runaway best of rest - which was very competitive last year
Red Bull - saw improvement in end of last season, but part of me figured this was Mercedes moving on to development of their next (now this years) car
Honorable Mention: Ferrari - strong improvement over last year. Hope to see that continue

Biggest surprise driver
Lando - pretty easy choice; impressive consistency battling near the top of the grid, now actively racing Mercedes
Max - driving with machine-like consistency. Not making impulsive, silly decisions which had bit him in years past.
Honorable Mention: SAI, PER

Most disappointing team
Aston Martin - seemingly large drop in competitiveness of the car with more resources. Everyone else has found a way to manage their floor
Honda - what a terribly disappointing time to walk away. Strong power units in both teams cars
Honorable Mention: Alpine - car seems significantly less competitive than the Renault team’s; Haas might be worse than expected somehow

Most disappointing driver
Alonso - maybe not fair to him, bc I expected a stronger car, but preseason I actually thought he could nab a podium or 2 this year (a la Ric last year), which doesn’t look to be close to the case
Tsunoda - hard to call out a rookie, but only 9 points in a fairly competitive car + all the self induced errors, especially in qualifying aren’t living up to (fairly high) expectations
HM: MAZ is a terrible driver in a very bad car

Best storylines
RB/Merc rivalry is back - Toto and Christian commentary is back to exciting
Unfilled seats for next year - lots of questions for major teams. Got to think PER will get an extension after seemingly taming the 2nd RB. The second Merc seat is going to have everyone’s eyes. AT drivers are both at the end of contracts. AM resigning Stroll is as big a lock as it can be.
Potential VW group inclusion - this is exciting for me, as an Audi/Porsche guy.

Biggest complaint
The racing qualifying is going to be stupid and won’t help race parody
Honda walking away right when they’re dialing in a competitive product

What I’m excited for
Seeing Spending limit impact
RB trying to make their own engines
Who will pair with Lewis in the Merc
Prospect of Audi in F1 - an RS6 is in the plan in the next year or two. I’ll join hank in the celebratory post-race wagon rides.

Last edited:

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VER - I still think he is making mistakes. But only a couple so far this season.

MAZ - Simply the worst driver I've ever seen in F1. And I saw Mazzacane!!

Alpha Tauri - They have me scratching my head as well.

ALO - Yeah not gonna lie he seems out of place in F1 now. He did have a great lap ruined by VET in qualifying though. That would have been a game changer I believe.

NOR - Love him. I think he wins Hungary.

VW group - ??? Love to see this happen.

RACE MARSHALS - Killed NOR's chance at 2nd.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great idea ckhokie!

Biggest surprise team
McLaren. And not just here in F1, they are competitive in Indy as well. Danny Ric gets a handle on the brakes in that thing and they will make F1 a 3 horse race.

Biggest surprise driver
Sainz. Last year, I thought he was going to totally regret leaving McLaren, but he has stepped into a team in crisis and gotten as much or more out of the car as Leclerc has. And the car was practically BUILT around LEC.

Honorable mention - Russell. We know he's good. But damn near put that hooptie in Q3 twice already. Actually made it once, missed the other by .004 sec.

Most disappointing team
Gotta give Aston and honorable mention just based on what they looked like at times last year. But the biggest disappointment, in every sense of the word, is Haas. From cowtowing to a nutjob, to putting that nutjob's son - who might be the worst driver ever in F1 - in the car to doing nothing to develop Mick Schumacher... They are an embarrassment. And Steiner is an idiot.

Most disappointing driver
based on what I was expecting, I have to go with Tsunoda. Not because of anything on track per se, he is making rookie mistakes. The kind you expect. But his attitude on the radio, and the outbursts are annoying. He needs to grow up and fast.

Best storylines
The whining about tech that RB does that hasn't as much moved them forward as it has brought other teams back. They complained about Ferrari burning oil and Ferrari collapsed 2 years ago. Then last year they whined about DAS and this year more than half of Mercedes problems are tire related. Now they are acting like Merc bringing up the bendy wings is somehow underhanded or dirty.

Biggest complaint
Stewards inconsistency. Everyone was acting like all the penalties at Austria was excessive. But it was just what happens when they apply the rule consistently.

Second - Stop changing things that don't need to be changed. Like quali. It's great, it works and is fun to watch. We don't need sprint races. Don't shorten practice sessions. What's the point of making pit stops take longer? Stuff like that.

What I’m excited for
George Russell in a real car. Danny Ric regaining form. Perhaps VW group coming in. None of that is this year though.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So with there being a quali race next weekend at Silverstone are we going to add that to the predictions? They are offering points for it.

Personally, I am fine with leaving it as is - only having us predict the top 4 on race day. And the end of the day the sprint race only still sets the grid. Treat it like quali in our contest.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The evidence presented by Red Bull was not "discovered" but "created".

Really wondering what exactly that means.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So apparently Red Bull put Alex Albon in their 2019 car at Silverstone and had him try to make the corner on Lewis' line to show he wasn't going to make it. A car designed for previous regulations, completely different than the Merc, on a day with different conditions was supposed to show what exactly? That Lewis was forced into a bad line by Max? They only showed Lewis's line and not that there was no way Max was making the corner at that speed either.

Jesus Red Bull is run by idiots. AND that day of running and filming also goes against the cost cap.