• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 NBA regular season thread

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Added to mine that I'm glad we even saw one I'll live.......I guess also added to GS will also never win another title never ever ever.
Yes but GS will win many over the next few decades. Cleveland will not.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, is this possible some guys might want out because of all the losing? Sure. But could all the losing be because they are in a rebuild and the core pieces are 4 guys who were young enough to play in the NCAA Tourney (along with Nance)? This is year 3 of the rebuild. Many of the teams who have finally turned things around took far longer. This is year 7 for the Suns and they were gifted a #1 pick along the way. NY is in year 8 now since they last made the playoffs and were also given at least one top 3 pick (and passed on SGA for Kevin Knox). LA's rebuild took 7 years to make the playoffs (multiple top 3 picks). Philly took 6 years (picks 1, 1 and 3). Cavs picked 8th, 5th and 5th....and seem like they did well with those picks.

I don't say this to rip the other teams, but to rip a team in year 3 of a rebuild with no cap room nor any top 3 picks sees a bit unfair. Now if KPJ turns into a star who can stay on the court or if they get a top pick in next draft and blow it? Rip away.

The Kings are in year 10 of their rebuild. The Bulls are in year 5. The Wolves are on year 15.

The problem with rebuilding in the NBA is that you need to get really lucky and get 2 quality players in a relatively short period of time. Otherwise you start losing those star players.

The Lakers turned it around because Lebron wanted to play there. Just like the Cavs when Lebron came back. The Sixers got lucky due to injury. So their young stars had almost not taste of losing(Embiid only played in 1 losing season, Simmons has been in the playoffs every year he has played)

The Suns turned things around because they were able to bring in a Hall of Fame PG who has got all the young guys playing together.

How many more losing seasons will the Cavs players endure before they start to push to get out?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just more evidence my claim (which can never be proven) is correct, that the Cavs will never ever win another title. Never.

They need to get lucky. Just like every other team. They got lucky in 2003. Got luckier that Lebron decided to come back for image rehabilitation.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to get lucky. Just like every other team. They got lucky in 2003. Got luckier that Lebron decided to come back for image rehabilitation.
They need to get far luckier than most teams. All teams need luck to win, but teams like the Lakers don't need as much luck. Cleveland will never win again. Book it.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cavs problem is that they dont have a star, or even potential star on the roster, and the only way they can get a star is through the draft.

The Cavs other problem is that on most nights, when they are actually healthy, they are starting 4 players 22 years old or younger.

I agree that I dont want them to be bad too much longer---- but it really doesnt mean shit until they get a star player. Until then its all just moot anyway.

Sexton was a good get with an 8th overall pick. He has his warts. He is a good NBA player. He is just 22 years old. But hes not a star. He is not a guy that can carry you. With what Sexton is doing at 22 its probable he will make an all star game or two during his career--- but hes not a star franchise guy. He is just not.

Garland I think actually has a higher ceiling than Sexton because he is a real point guard. I think Garland might be able to make a leap and become a guy that makes an all star game or two eventually. I have loved the shooting and passing that I have seen from him this year that he has played mostly at 21 years old.

Okoro who knows? He was the #5 pick in a fairly weak draft. He has great defensive potential but is raw offensively. He started the year at 19 years old. He had 32 points the other night- in the beginning of the year he couldnt buy a bucket. Who knows what he can be- I think he will at least be a serviecable athletic wing- but I HIGHLY doubt he ever becomes a true star.

The only players on the Cavs that matter at this point of the rebuild are Sexton, Okoro, Garland, Allen, and maybe Nance and Hartlestein. Everyone else is either marginal or old. Chances are none of those guys become a franchise player. I think its a coin flip if any can become an elite #2 on a good team.

As i said- it really does not matter until they get a star. Until then- whats the plan beside hope you hit big in the lotto? A big time free agent that has options isnt coming here. The CAvs certainly arent in a position where they have tons of excess assets and are ready to win and to make a trade like Toronto did with Leonard to try and go for it.

Minnesota has been awful forever. Right now they have Edwards, Towns, and have a shot at a top 3 pick in a loaded draft. Right now the Sixers have 2 former #1 overall pciks on their roster, and a ton of other high picks that crapped out.

Cavs were never going to get it done in 3 years with a #5, #5 and an #8. Anyone that expected them to is crazy.

But if they get a little lotto luck, everything can change in a hurry

but none of it matters until they can get a guy who is a star or who can become a star. I think SExton is talented but i dont think he gets there. I like Garland even more than Sexton hes def. not a #1, and if he reaches his full potential lets hope he can be a #2. Okoro is a wild card.
I mean, I could understand being ripped if they missed bad on a pick but it's way too early to say they did with Okoro and I think I agree on where you think sexton/Garland can go and neither is a miss. Now if they took Sexton over SGA AFTER they had Garland that's a bigger gaffe as he's definitely a better fit than Sexton with Garland. But they didn't know Garland would be their next pick. Can also say with hindsight should have taken Porter, but I can understand passing with the injury red flags.

Ripping them for not being able to get anywhere with 20-22 year old short guards as best players is absurd as even they know they still need to add an elite wing and the next draft is probably our last chance. I expect them to be at worse a borderline playoff team no matter where they pick this year so little chance at another high pick....and we know no stud FA is coming here while still rebuilding.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pipe down, ya Celtics fan/Cleveland traitor lol...

You know what's funny? I've probably been to more Cavs games over the years than Cleveland's craziest fan on this site. You know who he is, he thinks Steph's overrated.

Growing up I was about a 30 minutes from where the Cavs played in Richfield. Gave me the opportunity to see all the greats of the 80's and into the 90's.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone really think they were going to beat the Nets or Bucks this season?

They had, by far, the most man games lost due to Covid this season. And Walker has been wildly inconsistent.

Not sure how much the coach can change either of those things.
I'm not Blame the Coach Guy so I agree 100% with that.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cavs problem is that they dont have a star, or even potential star on the roster, and the only way they can get a star is through the draft.

The Cavs other problem is that on most nights, when they are actually healthy, they are starting 4 players 22 years old or younger.

I agree that I dont want them to be bad too much longer---- but it really doesnt mean shit until they get a star player. Until then its all just moot anyway.

Sexton was a good get with an 8th overall pick. He has his warts. He is a good NBA player. He is just 22 years old. But hes not a star. He is not a guy that can carry you. With what Sexton is doing at 22 its probable he will make an all star game or two during his career--- but hes not a star franchise guy. He is just not.

Garland I think actually has a higher ceiling than Sexton because he is a real point guard. I think Garland might be able to make a leap and become a guy that makes an all star game or two eventually. I have loved the shooting and passing that I have seen from him this year that he has played mostly at 21 years old.

Okoro who knows? He was the #5 pick in a fairly weak draft. He has great defensive potential but is raw offensively. He started the year at 19 years old. He had 32 points the other night- in the beginning of the year he couldnt buy a bucket. Who knows what he can be- I think he will at least be a serviecable athletic wing- but I HIGHLY doubt he ever becomes a true star.

The only players on the Cavs that matter at this point of the rebuild are Sexton, Okoro, Garland, Allen, and maybe Nance and Hartlestein. Everyone else is either marginal or old. Chances are none of those guys become a franchise player. I think its a coin flip if any can become an elite #2 on a good team.

As i said- it really does not matter until they get a star. Until then- whats the plan beside hope you hit big in the lotto? A big time free agent that has options isnt coming here. The CAvs certainly arent in a position where they have tons of excess assets and are ready to win and to make a trade like Toronto did with Leonard to try and go for it.

Minnesota has been awful forever. Right now they have Edwards, Towns, and have a shot at a top 3 pick in a loaded draft. Right now the Sixers have 2 former #1 overall pciks on their roster, and a ton of other high picks that crapped out.

Cavs were never going to get it done in 3 years with a #5, #5 and an #8. Anyone that expected them to is crazy.

But if they get a little lotto luck, everything can change in a hurry

but none of it matters until they can get a guy who is a star or who can become a star. I think SExton is talented but i dont think he gets there. I like Garland even more than Sexton hes def. not a #1, and if he reaches his full potential lets hope he can be a #2. Okoro is a wild card.

Pretty much agree with this. The NBA is all about getting stars on your roster. Most teams have to rely on the draft because the stars don't want to go to their team.

Most teams get stuck in the mediocrity loop because they are never able to get that star. The Nuggets have been in that loop forever but seem to have broken out of his because of Joker.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The city of Seattle will win an NBA championship before the Cavs.
The city of New Earth on Mars will also. Because Cleveland never will.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Kings are in year 10 of their rebuild. The Bulls are in year 5. The Wolves are on year 15.

The problem with rebuilding in the NBA is that you need to get really lucky and get 2 quality players in a relatively short period of time. Otherwise you start losing those star players.

The Lakers turned it around because Lebron wanted to play there. Just like the Cavs when Lebron came back. The Sixers got lucky due to injury. So their young stars had almost not taste of losing(Embiid only played in 1 losing season, Simmons has been in the playoffs every year he has played)

The Suns turned things around because they were able to bring in a Hall of Fame PG who has got all the young guys playing together.

How many more losing seasons will the Cavs players endure before they start to push to get out?
As to the Q at end, other than Love, not sure what vet is gonna push to get out that they'd even care if they lost. Prince only has a year left anyway. Nance's family is here. As for the young guys who are the core....if they are losing, aren't they a main reason they are losing? Even if the young guys want to go I cannot say I can think of many (any?) players who demanded a trade and had their wish granted while still in their rookie contract.

All that said, I suspect with just a little lottery luck, combined with the youngsters continuing to improve they can take a big leap next year. Anywhere from potential top 4-5 seed to playoff contender depending where they pick and who they get.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that they had an owner who had already proven he'd never stop spending if allowed and could help his team win.