• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 NBA regular season thread

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said. Never. Ever.
so i guess what you're saying is...

Michael Gaston No GIF by ABC Network

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,806.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cavs problem is that they dont have a star, or even potential star on the roster, and the only way they can get a star is through the draft.

The Cavs other problem is that on most nights, when they are actually healthy, they are starting 4 players 22 years old or younger.

I agree that I dont want them to be bad too much longer---- but it really doesnt mean shit until they get a star player. Until then its all just moot anyway.

Sexton was a good get with an 8th overall pick. He has his warts. He is a good NBA player. He is just 22 years old. But hes not a star. He is not a guy that can carry you. With what Sexton is doing at 22 its probable he will make an all star game or two during his career--- but hes not a star franchise guy. He is just not.

Garland I think actually has a higher ceiling than Sexton because he is a real point guard. I think Garland might be able to make a leap and become a guy that makes an all star game or two eventually. I have loved the shooting and passing that I have seen from him this year that he has played mostly at 21 years old.

Okoro who knows? He was the #5 pick in a fairly weak draft. He has great defensive potential but is raw offensively. He started the year at 19 years old. He had 32 points the other night- in the beginning of the year he couldnt buy a bucket. Who knows what he can be- I think he will at least be a serviecable athletic wing- but I HIGHLY doubt he ever becomes a true star.

The only players on the Cavs that matter at this point of the rebuild are Sexton, Okoro, Garland, Allen, and maybe Nance and Hartlestein. Everyone else is either marginal or old. Chances are none of those guys become a franchise player. I think its a coin flip if any can become an elite #2 on a good team.

As i said- it really does not matter until they get a star. Until then- whats the plan beside hope you hit big in the lotto? A big time free agent that has options isnt coming here. The CAvs certainly arent in a position where they have tons of excess assets and are ready to win and to make a trade like Toronto did with Leonard to try and go for it.

Minnesota has been awful forever. Right now they have Edwards, Towns, and have a shot at a top 3 pick in a loaded draft. Right now the Sixers have 2 former #1 overall pciks on their roster, and a ton of other high picks that crapped out.

Cavs were never going to get it done in 3 years with a #5, #5 and an #8. Anyone that expected them to is crazy.

But if they get a little lotto luck, everything can change in a hurry

but none of it matters until they can get a guy who is a star or who can become a star. I think SExton is talented but i dont think he gets there. I like Garland even more than Sexton hes def. not a #1, and if he reaches his full potential lets hope he can be a #2. Okoro is a wild card.
The novel reply.

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol Nah, you missed my nerve by about a parsecs(you probably don't know what that is. Don't strain your brain lol)...

I mean, YOU were the one crying about my comments, so don't try flipping the script, Bud...

Oh, and keep one more thing in mind. With the comedy you provide in here with some of the trash you post it ain't you can strike ANYBODY'S nerves...
What someone considers trash is another’s treasure

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And since he arrived they were 2-2 when he did not play (and all those games were with no Lebron/AD) but are 5-11 when he sits, even with Lebron and/or AD playing some of those games.

Such a difference maker.

• Facepalm
Reactions: DJ

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL.

How many games were with James and AD? I'll wait.
They are 2-2 since his arrival even without Lebron/AD in all those games, but 5-11 when he sits and Lebron and/or AD did play in some of the latter.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe but the Celtics have had consistent success under him and have often outproduced the talent on the court.
seems like they did at first...but then when expected to compete to get out of East they have underproduced.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoa. Whoa whoa, did I hit a nerve ?

what is with you people , you throw schitt and it can’t be thrown back?

ohhhh here we go, pasta will be next to be banned... lol
he'll just get me again...don't worry.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all seriousness, I wonder when amico and Jason Lloyd became "that guy" when they will make baseless comments knowing their are fans (and even others in the media) who will believe everything they say that fits their own agenda/narrative. so easy to be a reporter these days.

They will even believe the reply by the player (nameless, of course) as gospel. say what you will about Gilbert, but to say he does not have the desire to win is beyond absurd.

In Lloyd's recent hit piece he made baseless comments and some were even just factually incorrect. Went with the "I know they could have gotten more for Kyrie" narrative. More like Bledsoe and PG13? Ok.....but that was Griff who turned that deal down. Not a "report" but Griff himself said as much. He also said because he heard he was being rumored in deals THAT is when Kyrie started thinking he wanted to be traded. He ripped Gilbert for not paying Griff....even though Griff said he would never resign and his implication was because he didn't want to build a team around Lebron (was not because of Gilbert) Will say Griff was excellent as an analyst and he was always candid (even if it did not put himself in a good light).

He talks about Sexton as though he is only scoring because he takes a ton of shots. I mean, the guy was as or more efficient in his year 3 than Kyrie was here (and more than Booker in Phoenix). was having as good a season as Mitchell this year. They act like this kid is making 40% of his shots and taking 25 shots/game. Every time these guys talk up Garland they also seem to make sure they rip Sexton and say he needs to come off the bench. I mean, if we sign an elite SG, sure, bring Sexton off the bench. But if they found a PG with size maybe Garland should come off the bench......never mind they seem to love Garland (as long as they can rip sexton) and ignore Altman - who they think is bad at his job - drafted Garland.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair to the Cavs, it's not like FA's are lining up to sign with them. So a quick rebuild was never in the cards. Gilbert has shown that he will spend if he has a contender. So it's not like they're owned by Donald Sterling.

Having said that, if that's what's going on, that's not good. It could mean literally having to re-start their rebuild from square 1. Might be time for the GM and coach to have a "come to Jesus" meeting with the players to find out who wants to be there...or is at least willing to stick around and be a part of building something. Then start releasing and shipping guys out for picks and expirings.
I mean, is this possible some guys might want out because of all the losing? Sure. But could all the losing be because they are in a rebuild and the core pieces are 4 guys who were young enough to play in the NCAA Tourney (along with Nance)? This is year 3 of the rebuild. Many of the teams who have finally turned things around took far longer. This is year 7 for the Suns and they were gifted a #1 pick along the way. NY is in year 8 now since they last made the playoffs and were also given at least one top 3 pick (and passed on SGA for Kevin Knox). LA's rebuild took 7 years to make the playoffs (multiple top 3 picks). Philly took 6 years (picks 1, 1 and 3). Cavs picked 8th, 5th and 5th....and seem like they did well with those picks.

I don't say this to rip the other teams, but to rip a team in year 3 of a rebuild with no cap room nor any top 3 picks sees a bit unfair. Now if KPJ turns into a star who can stay on the court or if they get a top pick in next draft and blow it? Rip away.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seems like they did at first...but then when expected to compete to get out of East they have underproduced.

Did anyone really think they were going to beat the Nets or Bucks this season?

They had, by far, the most man games lost due to Covid this season. And Walker has been wildly inconsistent.

Not sure how much the coach can change either of those things.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just more evidence my claim (which can never be proven) is correct, that the Cavs will never ever win another title. Never.
Added to mine that I'm glad we even saw one I'll live.......I guess also added to GS will also never win another title never ever ever.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd maybe temper that comment to "not for the foreseeable future " but hey, that's me...
Never seems like a long time, but my lifetime doesn't seem too farfetched. But I'd say the same of a number of teams...including the one he cheers for.

Our only hope is next draft lives up to the hype and the Cavs pick in top 3 (1 even better).