• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 NBA regular season thread

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People have been complaining about refs since there have been refs. Basketball is arguably the most difficult sport to referee. When you have athletes that are as big, fast and athletic as NBA players, playing in space that small, it's virtually impossible to officiate. I'd argue that NBA refs do a remarkably good job given the difficulty.
I'd say its close with the NFL (obviously, baseball not in discussion). I have no doubt it's true they could call a hold on every play as many tell us. also a number of huge players in a small space, most very athletic.

Toughest to me are those deep sideline routes. One ref needs to see if receiver caught the ball, are feet in bounds, maintained control of ball through catch AND did the defender interfere.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People have been complaining about refs since there have been refs. Basketball is arguably the most difficult sport to referee. When you have athletes that are as big, fast and athletic as NBA players, playing in space that small, it's virtually impossible to officiate. I'd argue that NBA refs do a remarkably good job given the difficulty.
Short of every single play getting reviewed, Nothing.

NBA basketball is insanely difficult to officiate.

A lot easier when you have the slow-mo reply from the perfect angle.

The problem is, refs are coming to bad conclusions even after reviews with the technology we have today.

I have the utmost respect for referees in any sport. But they're making fuck ups despite the help they have from video reviews.

Plus their emotions are getting the best of them. In the last couple of days both Booker and Mitchell have been ejected from games for BS reasons and last night Montrezl Harrell got a T for simply shouting "and-1" after a basket. What the hell is that all about?

Also in the Lakers v Kings game last night replays showed Hield had a foot on the line on a 3-pointer in the second quarter, but the play never got overturned. Vogel said the officials told him that by the time the play was reviewed it was determined to be too long after the play to change the call. This drastically changed the outcome of the game. Now from what I gather, there isn't a specific time limit when it comes to reviewing a call like that.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a good look from utah in my opinion. I get they are upset but it’s a regular season game in Philly. Act like you belong and move on knowing you can address it in the postseason.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus their emotions are getting the best of them. In the last couple of days both Booker and Mitchell have been ejected from games for BS reasons and last night Montrezl Harrell got a T for simply shouting "and-1" after a basket. What the hell is that all about?

How would you know whether Mitchell's T's were bogus or not? He clearly said something on the first one that he shouldn't have because Embiid immediately giving the T sign. And given how visibly angry he was when he left the arena, I'm guessing his 2nd T was for inappropriate outburst as well

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a good look from utah in my opinion. I get they are upset but it’s a regular season game in Philly. Act like you belong and move on knowing you can address it in the postseason.

They have the best record in basketball and they want to claim that the refs are out to get them? GTFOH!

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say its close with the NFL (obviously, baseball not in discussion). I have no doubt it's true they could call a hold on every play as many tell us. also a number of huge players in a small space, most very athletic.

Toughest to me are those deep sideline routes. One ref needs to see if receiver caught the ball, are feet in bounds, maintained control of ball through catch AND did the defender interfere.

Football is definitely not easy to officiate.

However, I happen to know 2 people well who officiate both sports.

A friend of mine used to ref college and high school basketball and high school football. My wife’s uncle did college football and high school basketball.

Both said that basketball is significantly harder.

Reason being that the way the jobs are split in football, certain officials are looking for specific plays/actions in their areas. Whereas in basketball it is a lot more free flowing.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Football is definitely not easy to officiate.

However, I happen to know 2 people well who officiate both sports.

A friend of mine used to ref college and high school basketball and high school football. My wife’s uncle did college football and high school basketball.

Both said that basketball is significantly harder.

Reason being that the way the jobs are split in football, certain officials are looking for specific plays/actions in their areas. Whereas in basketball it is a lot more free flowing.
agreed.....only thing that makes it tough in football (compared to bball), IMO, is what to call and what not. So many penalties they let go or there would be one or more on every play.

also would say what makes football easier could argue maybe makes it harder. In charge of a lot of people/space on your own. In bball, any of the refs could call anything on any player or help in any area (smaller space overall).

One thing I think we can agree on (not that we really disagree on this) is compared to the others, baseball is incredibly easy.....and they still mess up.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would you know whether Mitchell's T's were bogus or not? He clearly said something on the first one that he shouldn't have because Embiid immediately giving the T sign. And given how visibly angry he was when he left the arena, I'm guessing his 2nd T was for inappropriate outburst as well

So an emotional outburst for a bogus call should be handled by ejecting the player?

Sure, give them a technical for any sort of profanity but come on! Are players such pussies that they can't handle a few course words during a tight OT game?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So an emotional outburst for a bogus call should be handled by ejecting the player?

Sure, give them a technical for any sort of profanity but come on! Are players such pussies that they can't handle a few course words during a tight OT game?

He got ejected because he got 2 Ts. When he got his 1st T he should have realized he was on thin ice and either subbed out for a play or got control of himself and keep his mouth shut. Instead he obviously said something to one of the officials.

He wasn't even involved in the play that he lost his shit on.

This has nothing with any of the players being upset. You curse at a ref and you are going to get T'd up. Every player knows that.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got ejected because he got 2 Ts. When he got his 1st T he should have realized he was on thin ice and either subbed out for a play or got control of himself and keep his mouth shut. Instead he obviously said something to one of the officials.

He wasn't even involved in the play that he lost his shit on.

This has nothing with any of the players being upset. You curse at a ref and you are going to get T'd up. Every player knows that.

Two T's for a bit of harsh language? Come on, even you can't agree with that.

He wasn't physically violent and I very much doubt he said something that bad to warrant 2 T's and an ejection.

Like I said, are players that soft that they can't take an F-bomb any more?

Somehow something tells me if the roles were reversed and Embiid got ejected, you'd have a completely different opinion on the matter.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It was two separate incidents. Stemming from the same play. Like I said, he clearly something he shouldn't have said because Embiid knew he was going to get T'd up immediately.

Like it or not, the refs have rules for the players when they talk to or about the refs. If you break them you get T'd up. Every player knows this including Mitchell.

He wasn't physically violent and I very much doubt he said something that bad to warrant 2 T's and an ejection.

Somehow something tells me if the roles were reversed and Embiid got ejected, you'd have a completely different opinion on the matter.

I don't understand why you keep bringing up players not being able to take F-bombs. That isn't what gets you a T. Embiid was laughing when he did the T sign. Mitchell was obviously angry at the refs, and said something he shouldn't have. Not being satisfied with the 1 T he decided to give some more unsolicited opinion to the refs which got him the 2nd T.

I'm sure I would be angry if Embiid got ejected. Embiid, however, is smart enough to know not to go after the refs. Nothing good comes from that.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not just harsh language. A player isn't getting T'd up just for cursing. But, there are "magic words" that every player and coach knows will get them T'd up. Remember the "Crash must have called him a cocksucker" scene from Bull Durham?

Also, we don't know what has been said throughout the game as well. Sometimes it's a bunch little things that eventually add up.

General rule, you can blame a ref being overly sensitive for a 1st tech. But, a 2nd tech is on the player because, as @flyerhawk pointed out, the player knows he's on thin ice and needs to stfu.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not just harsh language. A player isn't getting T'd up just for cursing. But, there are "magic words" that every player and coach knows will get them T'd up. Remember the "Crash must have called him a cocksucker" scene from Bull Durham?

Also, we don't know what has been said throughout the game as well. Sometimes it's a bunch little things that eventually add up.

General rule, you can blame a ref being overly sensitive for a 1st tech. But, a 2nd tech is on the player because, as @flyerhawk pointed out, the player knows he's on thin ice and needs to stfu.
It was two separate incidents. Stemming from the same play. Like I said, he clearly something he shouldn't have said because Embiid knew he was going to get T'd up immediately.

Like it or not, the refs have rules for the players when they talk to or about the refs. If you break them you get T'd up. Every player knows this including Mitchell.

I don't understand why you keep bringing up players not being able to take F-bombs. That isn't what gets you a T. Embiid was laughing when he did the T sign. Mitchell was obviously angry at the refs, and said something he shouldn't have. Not being satisfied with the 1 T he decided to give some more unsolicited opinion to the refs which got him the 2nd T.

I'm sure I would be angry if Embiid got ejected. Embiid, however, is smart enough to know not to go after the refs. Nothing good comes from that.

Come on now, both the Booker and Mitchell incidents were soft ejections at best.

I'm completely for giving a player a T for something inappropriate said to a referee, but unless the player physically and aggressively gets in the refs face, that is where it should stop.

Hell, give the player a huge fine for their behavior, but don't potentially change the outcome of a game just because you're butthurt.

Maybe it's just a personal opinion. That's all I got to say about the matter.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on now, both the Booker and Mitchell incidents were soft ejections at best.

I'm completely for giving a player a T for something inappropriate said to a referee, but unless the player physically and aggressively gets in the refs face, that is where it should stop.

Hell, give the player a huge fine for their behavior, but don't potentially change the outcome of a game just because you're butthurt.

Maybe it's just a personal opinion. That's all I got to say about the matter.
Maybe?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed.....only thing that makes it tough in football (compared to bball), IMO, is what to call and what not. So many penalties they let go or there would be one or more on every play.

also would say what makes football easier could argue maybe makes it harder. In charge of a lot of people/space on your own. In bball, any of the refs could call anything on any player or help in any area (smaller space overall).

One thing I think we can agree on (not that we really disagree on this) is compared to the others, baseball is incredibly easy.....and they still mess up.

Same is true for basketball. There is contact on every play. There could be a foul called on most plays.

AD2022MVP

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to agree with Shaqdaddy, I highly doubt anything was said to warrant a T during an OT. It’s the fans that suffer because the refs bad judgment.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team LeBron

Giannis, Steph, Luka, Jokic, Lillard, Simmons, Paul, Brown, George, Sabonis, Gobert

Team KD

Irving, Embiid, Leonard, Beal, Tatum, Harden, Booker, Zion, LaVine, Vucevic, Mitchell

Like LeBron's team better. Irving already put out a statement saying KD's a better leader than LeBron. Expect the score to be something like 158-150. Very litte D, as usual. And a bunch of dunks. Just another glorified practice. But I'll be watching anyway.