• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 NBA regular season thread

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Short of every single play getting reviewed, Nothing.

NBA basketball is insanely difficult to officiate.

A lot easier when you have the slow-mo reply from the perfect angle.

Yeah I know nothing can be done. But it' still frustrating. There weren't ref issues like this back in the 80's or 90's. What changed? Todays refs don't seem as competent as refs back in the day.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesterday was a really bad loss for the Warriors. They caught the Blazers who were a bit flat and couldn't capitalize on the front end of a back to back. Wiggins and Paschall needed to step up as scorers and both didn't do enough. But I think at the end of the game, Steph has to attempt a shot when you're down 2 and under 15 seconds left in the game. He made the right play, but on a night where the offense in general was struggling, he has to try to do it himself. He made the right play and the right pass. Draymond ended up with a wide open drive to the basket and Dame made a good play in taking the charge. I don't always encourage hero ball, but this is one time I would have liked to see him just go for it, win or lose.

This is a game where I don't get why Kerr didn't try to play Wiseman more. They drafted him because of his scoring ability and was 3-4 in the game with a couple lobs and a mid range jumper in 11 minutes. This loss isn't on Kerr though, the team just struggled scoring outside of Curry's 35. But at some point you have to be willing to change some things up and take some chances.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if Wiseman and Poole don't get 25 minutes each tonight I'm going to be super pissed...

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I know nothing can be done. But it' still frustrating. There weren't ref issues like this back in the 80's or 90's. What changed? Todays refs don't seem as competent as refs back in the day.

Perception.

More camera angles and better resolution today to spot bad calls.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember Schroder taking a 3 point shot in this game and turning his body 90 degrees to the left so that the Warriors defender would land on his right leg, and Schroder successfully drew a foul call. Also, I don't remember seeing this, but someone on another site pointed out that Schroder tried the same movement as Curry on another play, but he didn't make contact because the Warriors defender moved to the side.

I didn't see the entire game, and regardless of who gets those calls, I'm not a fan.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

^^^This^^^

I'd also add that when your team shoots more 3's than any other team in the NBA, you aren't going to be getting as many calls as teams that attack the paint more.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ah yes the glory days where anything short of armed robbery was allowed on the court.

Every game is scrutinized by a jillion people now from 8 different angles in high-res slow mo. How many times do you watch a game and either think there was a foul when there wasn't or think there wasn't a foul when there was?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Trade wasn't straight up. Unfortunately for the Hawks, they used their extra 1st rounder from Dallas on Cam Reddish, who hasn't amounted to much yet (if he ever will?). If they had picked Tyler Herro instead?

Career averages:
Young: 24.1 ppg (42.8/35/85.5%), 8.8 ast, 4.0 reb, .9 stl
Doncic: 25.5 ppg (47.8/35.7/75.7%). 9.0 ast, 8.4 reb, 1.0 stl, 0.7 blk, 0.2 blk

Doncic's advantages are expected as the result of being a bigger player (6", 50 lbs) and not as perimeter-reliant. He also landed on the far better franchise. Atlanta has amassed what seems to be a pretty solid roster, talent-wise, but it just hasn't gelled. Third year for the coach and they're still not to .500, not surprised he's gone really.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah yes the glory days where anything short of armed robbery was allowed on the court.

Every game is scrutinized by a jillion people now from 8 different angles in high-res slow mo. How many times do you watch a game and either think there was a foul when there wasn't or think there wasn't a foul when there was?

If you really want to get angry about officiating, watch NCAA basketball. So many calls are based on anticipation of contact it could drive you crazy.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes there were. It's why we have 3 refs on the court now.

Exactly right. Our tolerance levels for bad calls back then were much higher because we didn't have every play analyzed.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People have been complaining about refs since there have been refs. Basketball is arguably the most difficult sport to referee. When you have athletes that are as big, fast and athletic as NBA players, playing in space that small, it's virtually impossible to officiate. I'd argue that NBA refs do a remarkably good job given the difficulty.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad someone spoke up, I don’t think it has to do with Utah being a small market team but the refs are getting worse every game. Everytime I am watching a game there is at least a couple calls where I am like wtf that is an awful call, not a call that is a judgment call—a terrible, blown call. Why are these refs so awful? It’s get hard to watch games bc they blow a whistle every 30 seconds but it’s not just that, they continue to make atrocious call and make them when the game is on the line. Refs are taking over this league, it’s getting sickening. I’m not saying it is an easy gig but some of these calls should be easy for any ref let alone veteran refs. Very, very wildly inconsistent and it isn’t getting better anytime soon.

This is nothing new. People have been complaining about the refs since the beginning of officiated sports.

Gobert and Mitchell are just whining and they should be fined.

You know how the Jazz could have won that game? By having Donovan Mitchell shoot better than 13 for 34.

I don't care what sport you are playing that has refs. If you don't want refs to influence the outcome of the game, don't let the game come down to 1 or 2 plays.

IMO, I think the refs need to stop calling fouls on these ridiculous foul seekers. Would Trae Young be considered good if he didn't get 4 or 5 ridiculous foul calls when he jumps sideways or kicks out his legs?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Embiid hits a highly contested 3 to send game to overtime. Without an injury the mvp race is over.
Nikola Jokic would like a word with you. Lebron would, but is too tied up with stupid "footballers", lol.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you really want to get angry about officiating, watch NCAA basketball. So many calls are based on anticipation of contact it could drive you crazy.

Honestly, I don't much care for college hoops. Way too much of that game is about fouls and free throws.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cavs killing the Pacers but weird stat. TJ Mcconnell got 9 steals in the 1st half, a NBA record in one half
game could not have gone better - other than Garland injury and TOs. Played well against a tough team. Close. Youngsters played very well. But lost.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

People just don't get this. same for the NFL. Baseball pretty easy, though (other than close balls/strikes).

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can recall many ref complaints back then....no replay reviews, though.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People have been complaining about refs since there have been refs. Basketball is arguably the most difficult sport to referee. When you have athletes that are as big, fast and athletic as NBA players, playing in space that small, it's virtually impossible to officiate. I'd argue that NBA refs do a remarkably good job given the difficulty.

I guess so. Just want them to not give t's for a player saying "and one"