• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 NBA regular season thread

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That hasn't been the Wizards experience. lol

No doubt lol.

Like I said I think it's an Interesting proposal. Killian Hayes is at best two years from being an impact player. Russ could take him under his wing. More then likely Hayes will continue to suck and be a massive bust. But I don't see Russ as a detriment in that sense.

The Warriors with Blake would go full tank for this year and then with Beal and a top draft choice have the cash to add a third.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With respects to Blake Griffin, I think the Wizard should trade Russ for Griffin straight up.

Russ is obviously the better player at this stage in his career, but Griffin has 1 year less on the deal and if he picks up his option for next season (which he will), he'll be a very valuable trade asset with 39M in free cap space to a potential trade partner.

At worst his deal expires a year early, at which time the Wizards can make a genuine run at free agency to pair a significant star with Beal.

The Pistons can allow Russ to just go crazy and at the very worst he'll likely help to put some fans in the seats (when fans are allowed back).

Think it's win-win for both teams.

Eh....

I need a 1st round pick with Blake.

Russ is a bad contract for sure. But he isn’t that bad.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh....

Russ is undoubtedly the substantially better player. The Pistons aren't giving up a first rounder. Most likely scenario is a buyout for sure. Because Detroit is better off with nothing than with Blake.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh....

Who could you trade Russ for right now? What team is taking him? Shedding 43M for an additional season is worth way more than a 1st tacked on, IMO.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You always draft BPA when you're looking for a franchise changing player. Otherwise you take Marvin Bagley instead of Luka because you have Harrison Barnes already.
Yeah and Cade’s ceiling would be much higher than Sexton’s or Garland’s...bye bye to the one that doesn’t fit but who knows the future of this team right now. So many young players

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who could you trade Russ for right now? What team is taking him? Shedding 43M for an additional season is worth way more than a 1st tacked on, IMO.

Well, I am not the 1 paying the bills,

But getting Russ off the books a year earlier really doesn’t do a whole lot to speed up a full rebuild. Which the Wizards need.

They aren’t ready to use cap space, they just need to trade Beal and suck for awhile.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I am not the 1 paying the bills,

But getting Russ off the books a year earlier really doesn’t do a whole lot to speed up a full rebuild. Which the Wizards need.

They aren’t ready to use cap space, they just need to trade Beal and suck for awhile.

You can find one year deals for slightly above league replacement players if Blake declined his option. I can't think of a better way to tank then to add Blake Griffin.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With respects to Blake Griffin, I think the Wizard should trade Russ for Griffin straight up.

Russ is obviously the better player at this stage in his career, but Griffin has 1 year less on the deal and if he picks up his option for next season (which he will), he'll be a very valuable trade asset with 39M in free cap space to a potential trade partner.

All the salary cap maneuverings is the most confusing thing about the NBA, IMO. So if a team trades for Griffin, they'll create $39M in cap space? Is it just that the team is ridding itself of $39M of salary because they had to match Griffin's salary in the trade and so once Griffin's contract expires, they have all that cap space again? Or is it actually increasing the salary cap ceiling of that team?

I know that teams make trades to get the TPE, but that wouldn't work for Griffin, right? For example, if the Warriors traded for Griffin, I doubt they'd be able to trade him to someone else and create a TPE for themselves.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the salary cap maneuverings is the most confusing thing about the NBA, IMO. So if a team trades for Griffin, they'll create $39M in cap space? Is it just that the team is ridding itself of $39M of salary because they had to match Griffin's salary in the trade and so once Griffin's contract expires, they have all that cap space again? Or is it actually increasing the salary cap ceiling of that team?

I know that teams make trades to get the TPE, but that wouldn't work for Griffin, right? For example, if the Warriors traded for Griffin, I doubt they'd be able to trade him to someone else and create a TPE for themselves.

No the only way a team would create cap space would be if they could simply absorb his contract, but no team in the NBA has that kind of cap room available. I'm talking about when his contract is up and he walks, the team clears 39M off their books. It matters additionally if that team is under the salary cap otherwise they wouldn't get the full 39M to actually spend on another player.

A TPE is only created when the team who absorbs the contract doesn't not send back any salary. Like the Warriors had the TPE because when they traded Iguodala to the Grizzlies, they simply were able to absorb his contract and didn't send anything back. They then used that TPE for Oubre.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No the only way a team would create cap space would be if they could simply absorb his contract, but no team in the NBA has that kind of cap room available. I'm talking about when his contract is up and he walks, the team clears 39M off their books. It matters additionally if that team is under the salary cap otherwise they wouldn't get the full 39M to actually spend on another player.

A TPE is only created when the team who absorbs the contract doesn't not send back any salary. Like the Warriors had the TPE because when they traded Iguodala to the Grizzlies, they simply were able to absorb his contract and didn't send anything back. They then used that TPE for Oubre.

Thanks. I think I have a basic understanding, but the salary cap stuff is confusing. I like the moves that the Warriors have made to create TPE. The Durant sign and trade looks better and better now that Wiggins looks like a useful NBA player and they will get a high draft pick from Minny, but TPE wasn't involved there, right?

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. I think I have a basic understanding, but the salary cap stuff is confusing. I like the moves that the Warriors have made to create TPE. The Durant sign and trade looks better and better now that Wiggins looks like a useful NBA player and they will get a high draft pick from Minny, but TPE wasn't involved there, right?

Well technically it was. The Warriors traded Durant to the Nets for D'Angelo Russell in a sign and trade. But because of some cap constraint, the Warriors had to deal Iguodala before they could complete the trade for D'Lo. So the Warriors traded Iguodala to the Grizzlies (along with future picks) and the Grizzlies sent back a TPE. What that did was basically clear Iguodala's salary off the books, so they could complete the trade for D'Lo.

Consider Durant was leaving anyways, the Warriors effectively traded Iguodala and a future 1st for Andrew Wiggins, Kelly Oubre and Minnesota's 1st.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea why the Thunder aren’t letting in fans, the whole state is open.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zion is funner than hell to watch. Big but really fast.