• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 NBA regular season thread

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So whats the difference between him and PG? Granted i don't believe you were arguing that PG shouldn't get a max contract but both played below their standards in the playoffs all the time. Harden is a top 5 player typically in the regular season and PG is usually borderline top 10.

It was more of an independent statement than in reference to the ongoing convo, which I was not up to date on.

Harden is a dynamic enough player that you can build a team around him and create a contender. I'm not so sure it would be the case with PG. I think PG is better overall than say Klay, but I put them in the same type of category in that they're better as a #2. Harden is a clear alpha on the basketball court. But by my own definition there are only truly about 8-9 players "worthy" of a max deal.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was more of an independent statement than in reference to the ongoing convo, which I was not up to date on.

Harden is a dynamic enough player that you can build a team around him and create a contender. I'm not so sure it would be the case with PG. I think PG is better overall than say Klay, but I put them in the same type of category in that they're better as a #2. Harden is a clear alpha on the basketball court. But by my own definition there are only truly about 8-9 players "worthy" of a max deal.

I agree with basically all of this. There are only 8-9 real worthy max players but usually the top 20-25 players end up with a max contract. A category that Paul George falls in.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A minute in but Cousins and Wall looks good

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where he would have been ranked this time last year is irrelevant.

The Clippers didn't sign him to that contract this time last year. They did it now, after he's shown he's not worth that kind of money.

It is relevant to the point I made.

People here tend to greatly overreact to a player’s most recent contributions.

And again, when Khris Middleton and Klay Thompson with a torn ACL are getting those deals, PG is worth it too.

From a standpoint that no non-superstar should get paid that much, I agree. But that isn’t the reality of the NBA economy. And in that system, guys like Paul George make max contracts.

Then 2 years later the signing team regrets it terribly and is willing to ship other assets to move the contract to another team.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,821.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Klay is better than PG. Much more clutch in the playoffs, a better shooter and defender.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is relevant to the point I made.

Not really. It's not this time last year. If they had signed him to that contract this time last year, people would say he was worth it at the time he was signed. But they didn't.

People here tend to greatly overreact to a player’s most recent contributions.

This is nonsense. No one is overreacting to anything. He has failed repeatedly in the playoffs. Not just this past season.
And again, when Khris Middleton and Klay Thompson with a torn ACL are getting those deals, PG is worth it too.

Thompson has proven he's worth that kind of money. PG has proven he isn't.

From a standpoint that no non-superstar should get paid that much, I agree. But that isn’t the reality of the NBA economy. And in that system, guys like Paul George make max contracts.

Then 2 years later the signing team regrets it terribly and is willing to ship other assets to move the contract to another team.

Him getting that kind of money doesn't make him worth that kind of money. Hell, Tristan Thompson was more worth the contract he got that everyone complained about when he got it than PG is this one.

But, as you said, that's the economy in the NBA right now.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,821.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Typical Friday.....TJ12 vs Lance in an over the top rope battle royale....LOL.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m really not sure how Wall, Harden and Cousins is going to pan out but just think a couple years back...all were All-Star level players. Harden a star, Cousins was a borderline star in SAC. Not sure Cousins will truly ever be the same player but Wall still could have a lot of ball left in him. Could be a fun team to watch with no DAntoni there