• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 Denver Broncos Offseason Discusion

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This does make sense, and I am looking at it as if we draft a guy to compete with Bassey is not a bad thing. With Bassey tearing his ACL late in the year he may not be available Week 1. If/when healthy the rookie and Bassey can battle it out. The other part is it provides additional security for if/when there is another injury at CB. A late round CB could go one PS to develop.

At Safety I would would rather go:
Simmons
Jackson
Draft
Draft

Not sure we even offer Parks a contract, and bring in some to compete with Marshall. Could be a guy to go on the PS. A safety could potentially play a role in covering some of the TEs in the AFC West also. Still looking forward to seeing what Strnad will bring to the table.

There are so many intreging CBs and I really like Jabril Cox and Richie Grant. If we trade back in the 1st and pick up an additional 2nd round pick and can get a CB, Cox, and Grant it would be incredible, IMHO.

CB and S are probably the positions with least depth on the Defense.

Fair enough...

Grant is the kind of ball hawk I like as a safety. Would really like him. You only like Cox because he started out at ND State. ;).. Jk... Solid player for sure.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cox could be huge in covering the TEs on the AFC West.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At what point does a team need to be at or under the cap.

to sign someone you need the cap space but a team like New Orleans when do they need to kill that 40 M over the cap?

Depending when, it may be best to wait

feels like you can get healthy in FA settling for deals below market value or a ton of one year deals

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the rumor of Lock playing video games and the suspension fiasco I’m over Lock and intrigued with Mac Jones. I want a QB that eats , breathes and lives football 24/7. Sounds like Jones is a football junkie. Leave that up to the evaluation process to validate.

I would sign Andy Dalton, draft Jones and then trade Lock.

Vic and Shurmur get the vet QB and have this year to validate their coaching chops and Jones can sit a year behind Dalton. If Denver rebounds Vic and Shurmur get new contracts and 2022 Jones may be ready to take over

and we still have plenty of drafts picks for other positions.

Some in the organization may have FOMO over Lock but the GM gets paid to make these tough decision that could alter the future of the Denver Broncos

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the rumor of Lock playing video games and the suspension fiasco I’m over Lock and intrigued with Mac Jones. I want a QB that eats , breathes and lives football 24/7. Sounds like Jones is a football junkie. Leave that up to the evaluation process to validate.

I would sign Andy Dalton, draft Jones and then trade Lock.

Vic and Shurmur get the vet QB and have this year to validate their coaching chops and Jones can sit a year behind Dalton. If Denver rebounds Vic and Shurmur get new contracts and 2022 Jones may be ready to take over

and we still have plenty of drafts picks for other positions.

Some in the organization may have FOMO over Lock but the GM gets paid to make these tough decision that could alter the future of the Denver Broncos
Interesting take. I’m not sure about Jones, don’t really know a lot about him, especially at 9. I want a competitor in the Tom Brady, Payton Manning mold. A guy whose will is impossible to break. I don’t see that in Lock.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That being said, I’ve heard pundits say Jones would be the 2 nd Qb taken after Lawrence

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about Lock playing video games as was said here. I have not heard that anywhere else, that doesn't mean it isn't true.

As for Mac Jones, I have heard in multiple places he is the most pro ready QB in this draft, but his ceiling is not as high. I have actually heard him compared to Dalton. I am afraid that even if Jones lives and breaths football he may not be the elite QB that is desired in Denver.

If you draft Jones and Prescot is a free agent next year do you try to sign him? What if Watson is not available for trade until this time next year?

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AJ Bouye visited the Raiders.

I’ve been told Drew Lock is a football junkie. Teammates really like him. Unfortunately, that doesn’t always mean he is a great QB but I am willing to give him a full offseason and another year to grow before I give up on him. I like him much better then our other post Manning QB’s but he really needs to step it up this year and become more consistent. From a personal standpoint I really like him as a person. That being said if we are offered a chance at a proven (non stop gap) QB we have to entertain it over someone who isn’t proven yet. I also feel we need a stop gap option to push Lock and be ready to go if we do give up on Lock early. This is obviously a huge year for Lock. We need to do better then Driskel and Rypien behind him. He needs serious competition barring us working out a Watson trade then we really don’t care about his development because that is for another team to worry about. ;)

Definitely like some things I have seen with him though. Just needs to put it all together and have a great offseason. Last year was tough to expect big growth for him although it would have been nice to see more consistency. A healthier team will hopefully help him along the way.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with DC for the most part. I am torn on bringing in the veteran hedge though. If Lock flops in 2021, and we end up with a top 5 pick then t could give us an advantage if we decide that Watson is the guy we are going all in for. Now if we bring a veteran hedge it give Fangio and the other veteran players a fail back plan to be competitive/good if Lock doesn't work out.

Either way rooting for Lock to succeed is the best option for the Broncos.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At what point does a team need to be at or under the cap.

to sign someone you need the cap space but a team like New Orleans when do they need to kill that 40 M over the cap?

Depending when, it may be best to wait

feels like you can get healthy in FA settling for deals below market value or a ton of one year deals

Teams will need to be under the cap before the start of the new league year. So this year that would be March 17th.

And I do agree this year is worth playing a bit of the waiting game. Teams are going to have to cut players like crazy over the next week or so. I think this is why the Broncos are waiting a bit on signing Harris because as great as he played this year his market just might not be what he hopes again. I think he is going in a bit more realistic than last time, but we shall see what he ends up getting. Only a few players will get the top end money and many of the rest will settle for the 1-2 year prove it deals hoping for a better market next season.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AJ Bouye visited the Raiders.

I’ve been told Drew Lock is a football junkie. Teammates really like him. Unfortunately, that doesn’t always mean he is a great QB but I am willing to give him a full offseason and another year to grow before I give up on him. I like him much better then our other post Manning QB’s but he really needs to step it up this year and become more consistent. From a personal standpoint I really like him as a person. That being said if we are offered a chance at a proven (non stop gap) QB we have to entertain it over someone who isn’t proven yet. I also feel we need a stop gap option to push Lock and be ready to go if we do give up on Lock early. This is obviously a huge year for Lock. We need to do better then Driskel and Rypien behind him. He needs serious competition barring us working out a Watson trade then we really don’t care about his development because that is for another team to worry about. ;)

Definitely like some things I have seen with him though. Just needs to put it all together and have a great offseason. Last year was tough to expect big growth for him although it would have been nice to see more consistency. A healthier team will hopefully help him along the way.

I guess I should clear up some of the issues from my whole video games during a meeting thing. I don't think it means that he isn't working hard or doesn't love football. There have just been some moments where maturity has been the big question mark with him. There is video of him cussing out fans at one of the games this season. I've seen the video and messaged with the guy that took the video. It was not a good look for Lock and the team had a talk with him about it. The video games during meetings and then sounds like the team had warned him and the other QB's multiple times about how they were not doing well with the masks and they kept messing up anyway. It was part of the reason the NFL did not think it was worth postponing the game because the players had really messed up on a regular basis.

Now that doesn't mean Lock is going to fail by any means and it does sound like he is taking this offseason a lot more serious than the past two. I think he is still learning how to learn because he has never really had someone show him what that looks like in a good way. He was the man almost from the beginning in college and in the NFL he has had Joe Flacco as the big veteran showing him the ropes and Flacco wasn't really willing to take him under his wing.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Lock might have some immaturaty about him, but how many of us had a some (maybe a lot) of immaturaty at 24. I also think if we draft another QB there may be some of those same immaturaty issues with them as well. It is part of growing up.

We will see if Lock grows and and finds a way to cut down on the turnovers and be more efficient. If he does that it will likely mean this team is in the conversation, if not in the playoffs.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dak off the market

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See why we need deeper pocket ownership

This is another reason why trading up for a rookie QB makes a ton of sense this year. By the time a contract would come up the Broncos should have new ownership in place and hopefully some cash flow that makes getting a deal done easier.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is another reason why trading up for a rookie QB makes a ton of sense this year. By the time a contract would come up the Broncos should have new ownership in place and hopefully some cash flow that makes getting a deal done easier.
Are you ready to move on from Lock? If this team does not make the playoffs this year are you ready to move on from Fangio?

I am not sold that Lock will become the franchise QB that we have been looking for since Manning retired. I do think he can be am above average QB.

If we trade up for a QB and he does not pan out, and Lock goes on to be a top 10 QB the Broncos and Paton look dumb.

If we are to trade up Wilson is the guy I like best. If we trade up who do you want to be the bridge QB or would you prefer to start the rookie week 1?

My preference is still to trade back in round 1 and build the war chest to allow greater flexibility on the future.

We will get an idea of where the Broncos are going in the next couple of weeks as they navigate free agency.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you ready to move on from Lock? If this team does not make the playoffs this year are you ready to move on from Fangio?

I am not sold that Lock will become the franchise QB that we have been looking for since Manning retired. I do think he can be am above average QB.

If we trade up for a QB and he does not pan out, and Lock goes on to be a top 10 QB the Broncos and Paton look dumb.

If we are to trade up Wilson is the guy I like best. If we trade up who do you want to be the bridge QB or would you prefer to start the rookie week 1?

My preference is still to trade back in round 1 and build the war chest to allow greater flexibility on the future.

We will get an idea of where the Broncos are going in the next couple of weeks as they navigate free agency.
Good points. I don't get the fascination with college QBs - they don't turn out as good NFL QBs at any kind of reliable rate. The play here is to give Lock his 3rd year to prove himself, but change out next year if he doesn't make it. Unless Watson becomes available - which as you assured me Houston might be too dumb to do. Certainly - as other teams settle their QB situations - Watson's trade value lessens somewhat due to the market for his services shrinking.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Few things here...

1) I do think him being an above average QB is his ceiling. Maybe he makes it to where Derek Carr is right now but in this division even that is not good enough.

Throw in unfortunately in today's NFL teams are ok with sticking with above average QB's and when you have to pay them then you pay them like top QB's. Joe Flacco was an average QB and got paid top money. Right now Jared Goff, Kirk Cousins, Jimmy G, Jacoby Brissett are all making top-12 money in the NFL and I would only put maybe Cousins in that conversation. Do you really want to pay Lock if he turns out to be an average QB?

2) The reverse could happen when you talk about trading up and the guy not working out and Lock going elsewhere to become something. What happens if we pass on a guy this year in the hopes that Lock becomes something and that QB becomes something and the Broncos are still stuck looking for a QB? There is risk both ways in this conversation.

3) I do get the idea of trading back and trying to get some ammo for future years if a trade is possible. Part of me is thinking Watson won't be available to teams before the draft so having some extra 2022 draft capital could put the Broncos as the frontrunners to trade for him. I'm not a big fan of the 2022 QB class especially compared to the top-4 of this class. Their top guy right now would be 5th for me in this class if they were able to come out.