• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 Denver Broncos Offseason Discusion

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a deadline of July 15th once a player is given the franchise tag, but I have never heard when the team can open negotiations again. Is it after the Super Bowl? Is it at the end of the regular season? Just never knew.

I believe we can re-sign him now. The Ravens just re-signed Eric Tomlinson. Washington Taylor Heniecke.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking about if we should look to extend any of the guys coming up for Free Agency in 2022. Some guys I would be interested in extending:
  • Bradley Chubb - I don't think we want to see him go else where.
  • Melvin Gordon - I think we have to let the year play out, and see what a rookie does, if we draft one this year.
  • Courtland Sutton - His value might be lower then it has been or likely will be. Torn ACLs are not career ending any longer.
  • Bryce Callahan - I don't think so. He is injuried too often. If we can re-sign in free agency at a reasonable price, then I am good with that.
I am just looking at maybe spending a little extra now to save in the years to come. If we did take this approach then it would mean the Broncos activity in Free Agency is would be low. We do need at least 1 CB in free agency. but keeping some of our guys may not be a the worst move.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
J.J Watt to Arizona for 2 years $31 million and $23 million guaranteed.

This may be a frame work for what Von's extension to be.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the reports were true ,
Wonder who denver was trying to trade for before the other team pulled out?

then the Von Miller case heated up right afterwards

wonder if Von was part of the trade

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is an interesting article on free agent CBs that I found interesting:

Another name I have seen elsewhere is Chidobe Awuzie.

I think we need to find a guy that is younger as there has to be major questions if Callahan will return in 2022 and having a guy that could play effectively for the next 3 years would be huge.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loved Awuzie at Colorado. I’d be happy to sign him and draft a CB.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s a lot of DB’s to develop on top of two rookies from last year.

Really think we need a vet CB and young CB to go with OJ and Bassey and a young safety learning and helping on special teams.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Really think we need a vet CB and young CB to go with OJ and Bassey and a young safety learning and helping on special teams.
Do my eyes deceive me?! Did Draft Crazy just say we could draft too many DBs?!

Can someone confirm that hell froze over today?

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree but our CB depth needs to be better. We need a safety to sit behind KJack and learn. The addition S would be a depth/special teams guy. How are you feeling at S if Parks leaves? Do you like our S depth behind Simmons and KJack?

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don’t forget Callahan is a free agent after 2021 and no certainty that he will be back.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jess,

I am not offering the conclusion that I am happy with our depth or where we are at overall in the DB field. I am simply saying... I want to resolve the matter between free agency and the NFL Draft. You had suggested we draft a total of 4 DB's in this years draft. I am just pointing out that we do have Ojemudia and Bassey from last years draft who look like they can help us at DB... Throw in two more draft choices this year that is 4 young CB's we are needing to develop. I am well aware of Callahan being a free agent after this season and his injury concerns which is exactly why I suggest we throw a vet into our DB pot this offseason. No, I am not overally happy with out safety depth. Trey Marshall probably makes a good 4th safety but I am not sure I am satisfied with him as our 3rd guy who we can rely on starting if needed. Will Parks has been sort of a fan favorite, but lets face it... He didn't play well the year before he hit free agency and he didn't exactly play great last year when we brought him back (Not saying he played poorly either), and the Eagles cut him for a reason. I 100% agree that like I said in my previous post that we need a young safety who can come in contribute on special teams and grow and learn. If we do released Jackson this year then we probably need to sign a vet safety. My route right now would be just what I previously said... Draft a CB, sign a CB, draft a S... and probably sign a vet S who offers us ore on special teams then our depth S's have given us thus far.

Let me ask you... Are you not a believer of Ojemudia or Bassey?

Callahan
Ojemudia
Bassey
Vet CB
Rd 1/2 CB
Duke Dawson (if we keep 6)

Simmons
Jackson
Draft
Vet/Parks/Marshall

(Keep a 5th S or 6th CB based on special teams)

That is my crystal ball right now... Of course I am not a fan of filling position in a draft, moreso I am a fan of filling BPA/Need combo in the draft. So I am never close minded when it comes to drafting...

Hopefully this makes sense.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus, you have to remember... If we draft 2 CB's and 2's.. It is very unlikely we draft 4 DBs in the first 3 rounds of the draft so are you going to rely on a few day 3 DB's to make the roster or are you going to bring in some experience to challenge them???? I mean we could draft 3 CB's or 3S's on day 3... But I am not going to feel confident that resolves our CB or S depth issue.

Also not saying a CB we sign this offseason has to be a bank breaker, although I won't be surprised if we go after a Desmond King or perhaps a William Jackson or Casey Hayward type. I just think we need some experience at CB in camp this offseason. Minus Callahan we would be going all young CB's if we draft 2 CB's and rely on those guys. Last thing you want to do in the NFL is throw a bunch of rookie and 2nd year CB's on the field especially in a division facing Herbert and Mahomes twice a year.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jess,

I am not offering the conclusion that I am happy with our depth or where we are at overall in the DB field. I am simply saying... I want to resolve the matter between free agency and the NFL Draft. You had suggested we draft a total of 4 DB's in this years draft. I am just pointing out that we do have Ojemudia and Bassey from last years draft who look like they can help us at DB... Throw in two more draft choices this year that is 4 young CB's we are needing to develop. I am well aware of Callahan being a free agent after this season and his injury concerns which is exactly why I suggest we throw a vet into our DB pot this offseason. No, I am not overally happy with out safety depth. Trey Marshall probably makes a good 4th safety but I am not sure I am satisfied with him as our 3rd guy who we can rely on starting if needed. Will Parks has been sort of a fan favorite, but lets face it... He didn't play well the year before he hit free agency and he didn't exactly play great last year when we brought him back (Not saying he played poorly either), and the Eagles cut him for a reason. I 100% agree that like I said in my previous post that we need a young safety who can come in contribute on special teams and grow and learn. If we do released Jackson this year then we probably need to sign a vet safety. My route right now would be just what I previously said... Draft a CB, sign a CB, draft a S... and probably sign a vet S who offers us ore on special teams then our depth S's have given us thus far.

Let me ask you... Are you not a believer of Ojemudia or Bassey?

Callahan
Ojemudia
Bassey
Vet CB
Rd 1/2 CB
Duke Dawson (if we keep 6)

Simmons
Jackson
Draft
Vet/Parks/Marshall

(Keep a 5th S or 6th CB based on special teams)

That is my crystal ball right now... Of course I am not a fan of filling position in a draft, moreso I am a fan of filling BPA/Need combo in the draft. So I am never close minded when it comes to drafting...

Hopefully this makes sense.
This does make sense, and I am looking at it as if we draft a guy to compete with Bassey is not a bad thing. With Bassey tearing his ACL late in the year he may not be available Week 1. If/when healthy the rookie and Bassey can battle it out. The other part is it provides additional security for if/when there is another injury at CB. A late round CB could go one PS to develop.

At Safety I would would rather go:
Simmons
Jackson
Draft
Draft

Not sure we even offer Parks a contract, and bring in some to compete with Marshall. Could be a guy to go on the PS. A safety could potentially play a role in covering some of the TEs in the AFC West also. Still looking forward to seeing what Strnad will bring to the table.

There are so many intreging CBs and I really like Jabril Cox and Richie Grant. If we trade back in the 1st and pick up an additional 2nd round pick and can get a CB, Cox, and Grant it would be incredible, IMHO.

CB and S are probably the positions with least depth on the Defense.