• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 Denver Broncos Offseason Discusion

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would your philosphy be for the offseason?

I will offer something that intrigues me, even if it is not realistic.
Pick up the options for Von Miller and Kareem Jackson
Re-sign Justin Simmons I figure a 4 year $60 Million deal or something like that.
Re-sign Shelby Harris to a 2 year $12 Million deal.
Sign Tim Patrick to a 2nd round tender, let him leave if someone signs him to a contract. Tyree Cleveland is his replacement in 2022 even if he stays, and we can get a 2nd round pick.
Sign Philip Lindsay to an orignal round tender, let me leave if antoher team tries to sign him as he doesn't seem to fit with what Pat Shurmur wants to do. :(
Sign Troy Fumagali to a 2 year team 2 millon dollar deal.
Cut Nick Vannett to save $2.7 Million.
Cut Jeff Driskel to save $2.5 Million.

This will essentially run back the team from this year.

In the Draft trade back from 9 atleast once to acquire 2022 draft pick(s). Maybe trade back in round 2 as well for additional 2022 pick(s)

You might ask why would you have this plan. Here are the reasons why:
  • Gives Paton more of a chance to evaluate the players that are here and determine which ones he wants to bring back to make the right decision. But keep flexibility to let Bouye, Casey, and Miller walk after 2021.
  • With the questions around offseason schedule, it gives a great starting point to have the best chance to succeed in 2021.
  • Trading back allows the team to acquire picks that will allow the Broncos the ability to move up to get their guy, maybe a QB if Lock doesn't prove to the guy. If Lock pans out, then we have extra ammo to add young talent to this team.
I will say this is likely not to happen, but some of these may come true. This a time of year to play arm chair GM, and it is kinda fun.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would your philosphy be for the offseason?

I will offer something that intrigues me, even if it is not realistic.
Pick up the options for Von Miller and Kareem Jackson
Re-sign Justin Simmons I figure a 4 year $60 Million deal or something like that.
Re-sign Shelby Harris to a 2 year $12 Million deal.
Sign Tim Patrick to a 2nd round tender, let him leave if someone signs him to a contract. Tyree Cleveland is his replacement in 2022 even if he stays, and we can get a 2nd round pick.
Sign Philip Lindsay to an orignal round tender, let me leave if antoher team tries to sign him as he doesn't seem to fit with what Pat Shurmur wants to do. :(
Sign Troy Fumagali to a 2 year team 2 millon dollar deal.
Cut Nick Vannett to save $2.7 Million.
Cut Jeff Driskel to save $2.5 Million.

This will essentially run back the team from this year.

In the Draft trade back from 9 atleast once to acquire 2022 draft pick(s). Maybe trade back in round 2 as well for additional 2022 pick(s)

You might ask why would you have this plan. Here are the reasons why:
  • Gives Paton more of a chance to evaluate the players that are here and determine which ones he wants to bring back to make the right decision. But keep flexibility to let Bouye, Casey, and Miller walk after 2021.
  • With the questions around offseason schedule, it gives a great starting point to have the best chance to succeed in 2021.
  • Trading back allows the team to acquire picks that will allow the Broncos the ability to move up to get their guy, maybe a QB if Lock doesn't prove to the guy. If Lock pans out, then we have extra ammo to add young talent to this team.
I will say this is likely not to happen, but some of these may come true. This a time of year to play arm chair GM, and it is kinda fun.
Lindsay was a UDFA. I don't think we can give him an original round tender. I could be wrong, though. Not 100% on how that works.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lindsay was a UDFA. I don't think we can give him an original round tender. I could be wrong, though. Not 100% on how that works.
Lindsay is an RFA this year.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lindsay is an RFA this year.
Yes, but I think the original round tender means that if we sign him to an offer sheet, we would get the chance to either match another team's offer or receive a pick from the team that signs him. That pick would be whatever round we drafted him in and since he was not drafted, I don't think we would be able to get a pick. We would have to sign him to a 1st or 2nd round tender to get any compensation.

Like I said, I am not positive about how that works, so maybe someone else can clarify that.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Any interest in Stafford? I think it would be a great situation for us. He still has a couple of years left in the tank and would be an improvement over Lock, while still allowing Lock to develop underneath him and take over when Stafford is done. I'm just not sure how much I would want to give up to get him. I don't think I do it if it involves the #9 pick. Not sure about a 2nd rounder still. I also think there are a lot of teams who could use him, so there may be a bit of a bidding war going on for him.

I also think Matt Ryan would be available for something similar to this, so maybe that would not allow the price to get driven up out of our range.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but I think the original round tender means that if we sign him to an offer sheet, we would get the chance to either match another team's offer or receive a pick from the team that signs him. That pick would be whatever round we drafted him in and since he was not drafted, I don't think we would be able to get a pick. We would have to sign him to a 1st or 2nd round tender to get any compensation.

Like I said, I am not positive about how that works, so maybe someone else can clarify that.
If we sign Lindsay to an original round tend, we get the chance to match any contract offered, and if we do not match the offer, then Lindsay leaves with no compensation.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Any interest in Stafford? I think it would be a great situation for us. He still has a couple of years left in the tank and would be an improvement over Lock, while still allowing Lock to develop underneath him and take over when Stafford is done. I'm just not sure how much I would want to give up to get him. I don't think I do it if it involves the #9 pick. Not sure about a 2nd rounder still. I also think there are a lot of teams who could use him, so there may be a bit of a bidding war going on for him.

I also think Matt Ryan would be available for something similar to this, so maybe that would not allow the price to get driven up out of our range.
I think Stafford will bring more then we want to spend, and I would rather roll with Lock one more season. Not sure he is the answer, but not sure moving him to the bench is the right move either. The other part would be that Stafford and Lock would hit free agency after the 2022 season.

Benjamin Albright tweeted something like what Jamal Adams trade from the Jets to Seahawks.
Benjamin Allbright

@AllbrightNFL

·
1h

Try this again: Jamal Adams (and a 4th) cost two 1sts a 3rd and McDougald. So the Stafford framework starts around there. QB has a longer shelf life, age isn't as big a concern.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would definitely be interested in Stafford, who I think would absolutely shine in our offense, but not for our first rounder

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am expecting the 9ers to go hard after Stafford.

I could see Jimmy G back on the Patriots in 2021.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford to Colts might make some sense too.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brissett could be another to go back to the Patriots.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are talking about trading for Stafford, so lets compare Lock and Stafford from last season:
Stafford:
Completions: 339
Attempts: 528
Completion Percentage: 64.2%
Yards: 4084
Average Yards: 7.7
TDs: 26
Interceptions: 10

Lock:
Completions: 254
Attempts: 443
Completion Percentage: 57.3%
Yards: 4084
Average Yards: 6.6
TDs: 16
Interceptions: 15

Is it unreasonable to think that Lock can improve enough in over the offseason and training camp to reach these types of statics?

So now lets look at Lock's last 6 games where he showed some improvement:
Completions: 123
Attempts: 205
Completion Percentage: 60.9%
Yards: 1436
Average Yards: 7.1
TDs: 9
Interceptions: 5

So if Lock can replicate that for an entire season his stats would look like:
Completions: 328
Attempts: 546.7
Completion Percentage: 60.9%
Yards: 3829.3
Average Yards: 7.1
TDs: 24
Interceptions: 13.3

I will agree that the last 6 games projected over a full 16 game season need to improve. To me the questions that the team need determine is:
  • Have you given up on Lock, or do you have faith that Lock can improve to be equal to or better then Stafford?
  • Is the team be better with Stafford with ~$9 Million per year less salary cap with the draft picks/players that will need to go to Detriot to acquire him, or with Lock and ~$9 Million per year more salary cap with those picks/players?
  • How do Stafford and Lock compare in the system that Shurmur wants to run?
To me I believe Lock will be at least as good as Stafford next year, and I think this team needs to be able to help the defense with resigning current players, or bringing in additions with some youth that can help maintain this Defense next year and beyond. I do think it will be more reasonable to trade for Stafford then Watson.

I believe Lock is at worst a younger version of Stafford, but time will tell.

Remember Paton's philosophy is to build through the draft and acquire draft capital to allow the flexibility to move up the draft as desired.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford to Colts might make some sense too.

Yes I could see this. 9ers/Colts would be the top two, IMO. I would say Bears but Lions are going to have to have a crazy offer from a division opponent to send him there, so not likely.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would you rather for Denver to backup/push Lock? Andy Dalton or CJ Beathard?

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would you rather for Denver to backup/push Lock? Andy Dalton or CJ Beathard?
Player wise I would rather have Dalton over Beathard, but the cost might give me pause there. I think Beathard will be cheaper then Dalton.

It is not out of the realm of possibilities that Dalton is signed by a team to start for a few games until a rookie QB is ready to take over.

Who do you prefer?

Last edited:

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dalton may make a little more sense in our situation with more experience. Beathard will be cheaper like you said, and is younger and I think can start in the NFL, but probably never anyone's long term solution. Dalton really wasn't that good in Dallas this year although he got better as the season went on. I wouldn't pay a ton for Dalton. He is simply a stop gap solution for if Lock struggles again next year. That being said... I would almost rather sign Beathard. Beathard has starting experience and is still young and will be cheaper.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any guesses on cap space if we move on from everyone except Jackson and we cut James post June 1st? 20 million.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any guesses on cap space if we move on from everyone except Jackson and we cut James post June 1st? 20 million.
If anyone wants to play with the salary cap you can to go the link below and cut and sign players and see how it affects the cap:

So based on your request above I have cut A.J. Bouye and Jurrell Casey and that moves our cap to $35 Million available space.

If you don't pick up Miller's option you move the available cap to $53 Million.

Cutting Ja'Waun James as a post June 1st cut would add $3.5 Million. Cutting James this year is more that we moved on, and not a good cap move.

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i would love this start to the draft. I probably pluck a OT or more secondary help in the 3rd, but the Baja OG is a stud.