• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 Denver Broncos Offseason Discusion

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word on the street is Watson may asked to be traded from the Texans. Wouldn’t mind it if we made a run at him. Instant, massive upgrade at QB.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen that rumor and I really highly doubt he gets traded. But I can see why he would want to be.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word on the street is Watson may asked to be traded from the Texans. Wouldn’t mind it if we made a run at him. Instant, massive upgrade at QB.
Texans put out a statement that Watson will not be traded.

sometimes I‘m suspicious that a statement like that is an invitation to make an offer. In this case, I think they are serious and he won’t be traded.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't imagine them willing to trade one of the better young QB's in the NFL. It would have to be a fantastic deal. The Texans have made enough dumb moves under Bill O'Brien. If he was still there I would say it might be possible. ;) But now... no... They have hopefully learned.

I know Tunsil is all pro now, but just think... They traded the #3 pick and a very high 2nd rounder this year and the #26 pick to get him. They could have had Sewell. Now I get it. At the time they were a playoff team with a huge void at LT, but when you combine trading Hopkins for a 4th rounder and David Johnson and then trading a 2nd rounder for Brandin Cooks, it becomes a huge head scratcher.

Yeah- I think they learned.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean I’d be OK giving up a 1st to the Texans this year and next for Watson. And considering they don’t have a 1st round pick this year and we have a top 10 pick they could be more inclined because they’d get an instant top tier potential talent.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't give up your franchise QB who has proven himself for that, IMO. There is a big risk you could be looking for your next DeShaun Watson for years and years and year. You have a top QB in the NFL who is still young, he is untradable, IMO. The deal better be insane. "Poential talent" vs "young and proven" QB hmmmm.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally love DeShaun Watson. He is probably my favorite QB in the NFL. (Not saying he is the best QB in the NFL, but he is my favorite)

He led the NFL in passing yards this year which is pretty crazy considering his lack of weapons with injuries at TE, Will Fuller suspended the last 6 week and not much depth at WR where the last 6 weeks outside Brandin Cooks his top WR's were Chad Hansen and Keke Coutee. It helps when your Defense sucks so you pass the ball a lot, but still...

at the end of the day DeShaun Watson led my DCFFL team to a fantasy championship! I love the guy! ;) I would be all for it. But aint happening.

megalodon30

Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texans put out a statement that Watson will not be traded.

sometimes I‘m suspicious that a statement like that is an invitation to make an offer. In this case, I think they are serious and he won’t be traded.

That’s nice, but unfortunately for Houston, Watson has all the leverage. If he demands a trade and says he’ll refuse to play for them, they’ll have to trade him. And there are a long list of teams willing to make an offer for him, I’m sure. This situation depends on what Watson wants, not the Texans.

megalodon30

Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s nice, but unfortunately for Houston, Watson has all the leverage. If he demands a trade and says he’ll refuse to play for them, they’ll have to trade him. And there are a long list of teams willing to make an offer for him, I’m sure. This situation depends on what Watson wants, not the Texans.

Just saying’...

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I’m wrong, it certainly won’t be the first time!

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would give up multiple firsts for Watson, much like mi amigo DC, Watson is one of my favorite players to watch

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't give up your franchise QB who has proven himself for that, IMO. There is a big risk you could be looking for your next DeShaun Watson for years and years and year. You have a top QB in the NFL who is still young, he is untradable, IMO. The deal better be insane. "Poential talent" vs "young and proven" QB hmmmm.

Maybe we throw in Lock too, make it worth it because at least then they get a QB in the meantime.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No QB should be involved in the hiring of a GM, just saying.
That being said the Texans shouldn't tell him he will be then not involve him either.

The Texans are a mess, but good for them with Watson at QB they can clean up the mess quickly. I do remember earlier in the year there were trade rumors involving Will Fuller. Watson mentioned if they traded Fuller that he was done with them... That would have been Hopkins and Fuller. You know that Hopkins trade could not go well for any QB. That being said. The Texans did sign Watson to an extension before his rookie contract was up so he won't hit free agency until 2026 but I believe that is an opt out after the 2023 season. The Texans have a lot of power with him though with the extension they signed. If he does ask for a trade they don't need to be in any rush to trade him. At the end of the day I find it hard they will trade him but sometimes a marriage is just broken and it ends up being a nasty divorce.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took a look at his contract just for the heck of it. Look at the breakdown? Funny how in 2021 his base salary is 10 mil and then the rest of the years in the 30-37 m range.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I think we can start doing a little roster evaluation which is what the Broncos are doing and will be doing for the next few weeks. I can only really give an opinion on the starters.
QB:
- Drew Lock - I think Lock is going to be given every opportunity to be the starting QB again next year. He has shown some improvement, but more is needed. Hoping with a more normal offseason and more time in Shurmur's offense that we will see better performance.
- Brett Rypien - I think he should enough to be our backup QB if Lock becomes the guy. He is not going to push Lock, but can step in and do some things to give you a chance to win. He probably ends up being QB3 in 2021. I do think we bring a vet to push Lock and be able to step in if Lock doesn't prove he is the guy going forward.
- Jeff Driskel - No future here, he should be cut in the next month or so.

RB:
- Melvin Gordon - He finished the year strong and hopefully comes in hungry and performs well.
- Phillip Lindsay - I think when healthy he is a perfect compliment to what Gordon brings.
- Royce Freeman - I like Royce, but I don't know that he is special. He should have a long career, and could be a really good second string RB.

WR:
- Courtland Sutton - Complete stud. Would not be sad if we extended him this year. Might get a bit of a discount if we do.
- Jerry Jeudy - I think the sky is the limit. He will be a fantastic compliment to Sutton. If teams double Sutton, Jeudy will have opportunities at big plays.
- KJ Hamler - Very good. He really developed nicely through the year. He brings the speed to take the top off the defense.
- Tim Patrick - Really like Patrick, a steady WR that can make the plays available. He is also very good on special teams.
- Tyrie Cleveland - My impression is Tyrie is a clone of Patrick with more upside. Great depth WR and special teamer.

TE:
- Noah Fant - He has been underutilized, but is an ascending TE in the NFL.
- Albert Okwuegbunam - He is a great receiving target, but needs to improve his blocking.
- Nick Vannett - He is supposed to be a good blocker (not sure about that) with some receiving threat. I would rather have Troy Fumagalli.
- Troy Fumagalli - Really like Fumagalli and would like to see him be the #3 TE.

OLine:
- Garrett Bolles - Signed to a contract extension, and really reduced his penalties.
- Dalton Risner - I think he will develop into one of the better guards. He is already a leader on this team.
- Lloyd Cushenberry III - I think he learned a lot, and has an offseason where he can add some strength.
- Graham Glasgow - I am not sure about Glasgow. He seemed to finish the season on an upswing. If he struggles next year Netane Muti will be there take his job.
- RT - Do we have one?

I think the offense has the chance to dymanic and very good if Lock can realize his potential.

I will try to find time go over the Defense later.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts on Defense:
Dline:
- Dre'Mont Jones - He is ready to be a starter, and make an impact.
- Mike Purcell - He is a difference maker in the run game, and starting to develop more of a pass rush.
- ??? - Will this spot be filled by Casey, Harris, or Walker? Ideally if Walker returns he would be a rotational guy, IMHO. DeShawn Williams is reasonable, but I prefer him being a rotational guy. We could draft a guy to, but seems unlikely. I have not looked at the free agent DT options.

OLB:
- Bradely Chubb - I think we will see the star that he can be next year. He will have worked his way back from the ACL, and confidence will not be an issue.
- ??? - Von Miller, Malik Reed, or rookie???? Von has been great, and one of our best players. He is a leader of the whole team, not just the defense. His cap number is too high at this point, especially with the the cap dropping to $175 Million. Malik Reed played pretty well, and we could do a lot worse then him at OLB. Does Von play $20+ Million better then Reed? I would say no, and that could be the end of Von in Denver. It will be a sad day if that happens.

ILB:
- Alexander Johnson - He is a restricted free agent, but really no reason that he would not return. He may even be a candidate for a new contract to keep him here for the next few years.
- Josey Jewell - He played better then some thought this year, but I think he could be upgraded too. Might be more of a luxury upgrade depending on what happens at other positions.
- Justin Strnad - He seemed to be potentially be our coverage LB to help with there, but injury sidelined him before his season really got started.

CB:
- Bryce Callahan - He was our best CB last year, but is is often injured. If the team sees him as a CB of the our future beyond next year, we might look to extend him.
- ??? - AJ Bouye, Michael, Ojemudia , free agent, or rookie. Bouye was starting to play better, but then was suspended. Ojemudia was up and down, but finished with a nice game. I have not looked at free agency but that seem less likely the a draft pick as we need to get younger on the Defense side of the ball. The offense is already really young.
- Essang Bassey - He was a nice find and should have a role on the team next year.

S:
- ??? - Who knows what will happen here. Justin Simmons and Kareem Jackson could both be back, neither be back, or one be back. They have both been fantastic and among my favorite players. Simmons would be the one I would want back if only one came back. He is younger and is fantastic in the middle of the defense. One concern here is that there is very little depth at the position. Hopefully they bring Will Parks back to help that.

I would not be surprised if Bouye, Casey, Jackson, and Miller are all not back next year. I would be mildly surprised if Simmons is not back.

Will be interesting to see what moves they make. Honestly I would not be made if they brought back all the guys listed above to see what they can do next year.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this would be a very stressful yet fun time for a new GM to enter the situation. :)