• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 HOF ballot

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First timers in bold.

Bobby Abreu
Josh Beckett
Heath Bell

Barry Bonds
Eric Chávez
Roger Clemens
Adam Dunn
Chone Figgins
Rafael Furcal
Jason Giambi

Todd Helton
Raúl Ibañez
Derek Jeter

Andruw Jones
Jeff Kent
Paul Konerko
Cliff Lee
Carlos Peña
Brad Penny
Andy Pettitte
J.J. Putz
Manny Ramírez
Brian Roberts
Scott Rolen
Curt Schilling
Gary Sheffield
Alfonso Soriano
Sammy Sosa
José Valverde
Omar Vizquel
Billy Wagner
Larry Walker
Konerko is a first timer as well.

Baseballboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The public (in general) has put the "steroid era" in the rear window and rightly so as at the time the rules were not stiff enough or in place and needed to develop over the decades. This allows the baseball world to now focus more on the astonishing achievements of these two greats as opposed to their misuse of steroids during a time without a proper system. IMO Clemens & Bonds are slam dunk HOFer's.

Sosa on the other hand was a truly loved player who was winning over the nation during the home run derby times with McGuire but tarnished his legacy the day he broke that bat and revealed his home run power in the form of a very much cheating corked bat, ending any shot as a creditable player let alone a HOFer.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The public (in general) has put the "steroid era" in the rear window and rightly so as at the time the rules were not stiff enough or in place and needed to develop over the decades. This allows the baseball world to now focus more on the astonishing achievements of these two greats as opposed to their misuse of steroids during a time without a proper system. IMO Clemens & Bonds are slam dunk HOFer's.

Sosa on the other hand was a truly loved player who was winning over the nation during the home run derby times with McGuire but tarnished his legacy the day he broke that bat and revealed his home run power in the form of a very much cheating corked bat, ending any shot as a creditable player let alone a HOFer.
I'm not sure how much they are taking the corked bat into consideration. I think a problem with Sosa is he needed those 5 years of video game numbers to give his overall career borderline HOF credentials. The 609 home runs sticks out, but outside of those 5 or 6 years there are a lot of hollow numbers around his home runs.

And if the current trend with all of the home runs continues I think the voters might start moving the goalposts on those automatic hall of fame numbers on some of the counting stats. Look at the home run leaders of the 60's. Some of those years you'd have like Mays,Aaron and Killebrew, or maybe 2 of those guys with a McCovey mixed in with 40+ hrs, then 7or 8 guys in the 30's. Last year 58 players hit 30+ home runs.

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have a feeling it will be Jeter/Schilling/Walker and Bonds/Clemens fall just short.

Looks like Jeter and Walker are locks.

Interesting comment on Schilling from Thibodaux:

Schilling needs to flip 50-something nos to yesses. Through almost 1/6th of the voting, he has seen 4 voters flip to yes but also lost one. He's net +3. As with every year and almost every candidate, beware early vote %s. They lie! That's why we focus so much on the +1s and -1s.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Jeter and Walker are locks.

Interesting comment on Schilling from Thibodaux:

Schilling needs to flip 50-something nos to yesses. Through almost 1/6th of the voting, he has seen 4 voters flip to yes but also lost one. He's net +3. As with every year and almost every candidate, beware early vote %s. They lie! That's why we focus so much on the +1s and -1s.
It's amazing how much Larry Walker has improved in the last 2 years.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have a feeling it will be Jeter/Schilling/Walker and Bonds/Clemens fall just short.

Jeter and Walker have a lower WAR than "Sweet" Lou Whitaker. Whitaker (who garnered 2.9% of the vote) was part of the most prolific double play combination in the history of Major League Baseball. Why should they be elected to the Hall of Fame?

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeter and Walker have a lower WAR than "Sweet" Lou Whitaker. Whitaker (who garnered 2.9% of the vote) was part of the most prolific double play combination in the history of Major League Baseball. Why should they be elected to the Hall of Fame?

this shtick is getting tiresome. I agree Whitaker should be in, but just because the writers/era committee made a wrong doesn't mean they shouldn't be elected. Besides, Whitaker only had 2.4 more WAR than Walker despite having 1937 more plate appearances. Whitaker had more longevity, but I'd argue that Walker's peak was better.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and if we're going to dwell on superior players getting left out, then no one should be inducted into the HOF until Bonds and Clemens are in.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and if we're going to dwell on superior players getting left out, then no one should be inducted into the HOF until Bonds and Clemens are in.

I agree 100%!!! MLB loved steroids, the massive amount of home runs put baseball back on the map. I'm not even pissed about Jeter, he would be a first ballot for me. All that has nothing to do with Whitaker. I will give him props every time he is ignored by the Hall of Fame. A completely honorable man, and outstanding player. I never even remembering him arguing with an umpire.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did have a pretty tough draw for his first year on the ballot.
2001 Hall of Fame Voting | Baseball-Reference.com

I would have had him on my ballot along with Carter, Winfield, Blyleven, maybe Hernandez

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Through 96 ballots

Jeter 100%

Walker 87.5%

Schilling 81.3%

Bonds 76%

Clemens 76%

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rolen won't make it this year, but at least it looks like he's going to make some serious progress (Thib's HOF tracker currently has him at 49.3% after getting 17.2% last year). It'll probably finish closer to 40% than 50%, but that's still a big jump.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeter is a lock to get in IMO, I think Walker will be close.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today's the day. Projections seem to have Walker falling a few votes short.