• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020-21 NHL Season Thread

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So..... Do the Kings make an offer for Seth Jones? It'll be a pricy though. I'm thinking a roster player, prospect or two and a 1st round pick.

6'4" 210+ pound 26 year old right shooting top pairing D who can put up points while also good in his on end. Only thing is that he's a right shooting D and the kings could really use a left shooting D instead. Still though if the price is right and Jones is resigned after next season it would be a fine fit.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So..... Do the Kings make an offer for Seth Jones? It'll be a pricy though. I'm thinking a roster player, prospect or two and a 1st round pick.

6'4" 210+ pound 26 year old right shooting top pairing D who can put up points while also good in his on end. Only thing is that he's a right shooting D and the kings could really use a left shooting D instead. Still though if the price is right and Jones is resigned after next season it would be a fine fit.
If he is resigned then yes. If the contract isn’t extended then his value goes down.
there will be some middle level players available this summer. Teams need to get under the cap. Seattle will take a few cap dumps for picks but they can only float so much. They have seen Vegas success and there may be pressure to repeat that.

Kings are not a Seth Jones away yet but they need to sell tickets now so a big name may help that.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While i do like jones, kings do not need another big salary. They need prospects that can play and become stars with dd and kopitar guiding them....then you fill out with fa's to plug holes.

Ive said it multiple times, teams just dont seem to win when their top stars reach max contracts....you need to win as those guys are still earning those deals. I picked 10m as an arbitrary # like 10 seasons ago and so far no team with a 10m+ player has hoisted the cup and looking at remaining teams after just 1 rnd....Montreal is the only team that can break my streak on that magical 10m.....i doubt they win.

I know theres been higher % of cap on guys but i picked 10m and until a team wins with a 10m guy....nobody has

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My two cents. I'd be no on Eichel like I said in previous thread about Blake. Neck injury, asking price, and cap are the main reasons. Others alluded to it, but there is something about guys who lose perpetually. I do, however, like Seth Jones a ton. Do I like him at an extension in the $10mil/year range? Not as much. The factors would obviously be asking price, if he resigns, and for how much/how long. Having cap space and immediately blowing it is not the move. I read a lot of other places about Seth Jones and his underwhelming analytics, but every time I see him play, he's a true #1. He plays with enough of edge, and he'd solidify the defense for sure. I like him more than Eichel by a lot.

Def agree that I do not know if McLellan is the guy. I'm actually not sure there is "The guy". I felt like much of the Kings championship teams were built by Terry Murray, and then Daryll Suter was the guy who could take them to the next level and could fill in the gaps. But if Daryll had come in 5 years earlier, I am not sure he'd have developed Kopitar and Brown et al. quite as well. It's almost like there are two parts to all this.

The smarter choice is to just sign some vets in free agency and use the home-grown guys. Push them into camp and make guys sink or swim to see what we have. If Kopitar could have a slightly upgraded winger, I think that alone would do a lot. Say a Ryan Nugent-Hopkins or someone else who's a Free Agent this summer. With how the cap works, I'd like to see LA overpay for a guy or three for reduced length. 3 year deals for more money to elevate the play of the younger guys. Montreal sort of did that right now. Got some old timers, but they've empowered their young guys.

Kings just got slotted at the #8 pick, so nothing crazy there. We'll see how the ED goes with Kraken. I think it's insane Vegas is exempt from the ED, and it's equally insane that Kraken get the #2 pick to go along with all of the players they are about to get. Saw someone mention some good wingers around the #8 spot, and even a goaltending prospect. Would actually be a fan of the Kings getting a goaltending stud that Ranford could work his magic on over the next few years with no pressure to enter the league until he was ready.

Overall, I am up for waiting one more year to see what happens this summer. Next summer if we don't have anything to be excited about, then I am all about wholesale changes to coaching and/or management.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Side note. I always thought this site was "Sports SportsHoopla", but the url is like "SportsHoop.LA". Like what is that?

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Side note. I always thought this site was "Sports SportsHoopla", but the url is like "SportsHoop.LA". Like what is that?
(Dot)LA sites were intended for the country of Laos but most are used by companies in Los Angeles. Cheaper than (dot) com

LAKINGSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My two cents. I'd be no on Eichel like I said in previous thread about Blake. Neck injury, asking price, and cap are the main reasons. Others alluded to it, but there is something about guys who lose perpetually. I do, however, like Seth Jones a ton. Do I like him at an extension in the $10mil/year range? Not as much. The factors would obviously be asking price, if he resigns, and for how much/how long. Having cap space and immediately blowing it is not the move. I read a lot of other places about Seth Jones and his underwhelming analytics, but every time I see him play, he's a true #1. He plays with enough of edge, and he'd solidify the defense for sure. I like him more than Eichel by a lot.

Def agree that I do not know if McLellan is the guy. I'm actually not sure there is "The guy". I felt like much of the Kings championship teams were built by Terry Murray, and then Daryll Suter was the guy who could take them to the next level and could fill in the gaps. But if Daryll had come in 5 years earlier, I am not sure he'd have developed Kopitar and Brown et al. quite as well. It's almost like there are two parts to all this.

The smarter choice is to just sign some vets in free agency and use the home-grown guys. Push them into camp and make guys sink or swim to see what we have. If Kopitar could have a slightly upgraded winger, I think that alone would do a lot. Say a Ryan Nugent-Hopkins or someone else who's a Free Agent this summer. With how the cap works, I'd like to see LA overpay for a guy or three for reduced length. 3 year deals for more money to elevate the play of the younger guys. Montreal sort of did that right now. Got some old timers, but they've empowered their young guys.

Kings just got slotted at the #8 pick, so nothing crazy there. We'll see how the ED goes with Kraken. I think it's insane Vegas is exempt from the ED, and it's equally insane that Kraken get the #2 pick to go along with all of the players they are about to get. Saw someone mention some good wingers around the #8 spot, and even a goaltending prospect. Would actually be a fan of the Kings getting a goaltending stud that Ranford could work his magic on over the next few years with no pressure to enter the league until he was ready.

Overall, I am up for waiting one more year to see what happens this summer. Next summer if we don't have anything to be excited about, then I am all about wholesale changes to coaching and/or management.
They Kings need to get Defensemen. Get all they can and get back to a strong D first mentality. This whole speed no matter what doesnt seem to be working. At least with a strong D mentality you are in most games no matter what. They simply dont have the skill level to try to out skate and outscore the other elite teams. I wouldnt be mad at the goalie prospect either. Cant ever have too many.

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah pretty much agree.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure this needed its own chain, but Staples will be at 100% capacity Friday for Clippers/Jazz Game 6. I also received emails about Sofi Stadium and Rams are selling seats as if they will also be at 100% for football season.

I think it's so crazy that Montreal is in Vegas, with Vegas at 100% capacity, and then for Games 3&4, Montreal will go home to basically an empty arena.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Total off any topic here.
my wife was just remembering years ago a bunch of us went to a Kings Ducks game in Anaheim. 2010 ish
Visnosky had recently become a Duck
Here is her train of thought
She was eating Pancakes and thought of Penner, who played for both teams, that reminded her of Cookies for Lubo
And that reminded her that every time they announced Visnoskys name which ever one of was seated next to her would say “miss you Lubo”
We were in the club level at the end
I don’t even remember who won the game
Just know my wife thought that was cute

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh got to cheer on Tampa because can’t let Habs win

This is one of those where I just wish they wouldn't announce a winner. In no other year would you have two EC teams playing for a Cup, not to mention the Habs (and Canada) have not paid off their karma for the bullshit they pulled in 1993 in this fan's eyes and Tampa's cap shenanigans.

Tampa is $18 million over the cap fielding this team - yes I know it's within the rules, they aren't doing anything "wrong" per se, but it's completely diminishing the spirit of the rules, just like Chicago did in 2015 with Kane. That loophole needs to be closed, and the easiest solution is the cap continues throughout the playoffs. So effing suspicious that Kucherov is in full flight miraculously by Game 1 of the ECQFs after not playing the entire season.

Another way would be you have to play at least 5 games during the regular season within a 20 game window from the end of the season so say the Boltards don't dress him in game 82 and then he is qualified to play in the postseason. This way they have to manage the cap which means some games near the stretch end you may not be able to field a full team (Vegas had to do this during the season, they played games short skaters because they would not have been cap compliant). Better hope you aren't a capped out team fighting for a PO spot the last 20 games.

They pulled this shit with Stamkos last year, I believe he only played 1 game in the SCF to get his name on the Cup, it has to be stopped.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one of those where I just wish they wouldn't announce a winner. In no other year would you have two EC teams playing for a Cup, not to mention the Habs (and Canada) have not paid off their karma for the bullshit they pulled in 1993 in this fan's eyes.

Tampa is $18 million over the cap fielding this team - yes I know it's within the rules, they aren't doing anything "wrong" per se, but it's completely diminishing the spirit of the rules, just like Chicago did in 2015 with Kane. That loophole needs to be closed, and the easiest solution is the cap continues throughout the playoffs. So effing suspicious that Kucherov is in full flight miraculously by Game 1 of the ECQFs after not playing the entire season.

Another way would be you have to play at least 5 games during the regular season within a 20 game window from the end of the season so say the Boltards don't dress him in game 82 and then he is qualified to play in the postseason. This way they have to manage the cap which means some games near the stretch end you may not be able to field a full team (Vegas had to do this during the season, they played games short skaters because they would not have been cap compliant). Better hope you aren't a capped out team fighting for a PO spot the last 20 games.

They pulled this shit with Stamkos last year, I believe he only played 1 game in the SCF to get his name on the Cup, it has to be stopped.
I say get rid of the LTIR credit. If a guy gets hurt, his cap hit still counts. I know it would hurt some teams but it would apply evenly. Also it would stop the LTIR retirement loophole.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LA Kings trade for Viktor Arvidsson is done. Two draft picks going back to the Preds, a 2021 second rounder and a third round pick in 2022.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't seen arvidsson last few seasons...but he was a decently skilled player as i recall, good deal i think

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't seen arvidsson last few seasons...but he was a decently skilled player as i recall, good deal i think
Scored a career high 34 goals a few years ago bur has been injured a lot, I think missing 42 games over the last 2 seasons. Went for 16 and 10 goals the last 2 seasons.

Another smaller player (5'9"/180) but skilled, team first guy and crashes the net. Would like to see Bowlby address this size issue, just seems like the Kings are getting smaller and smaller. I just don't get it, both SCF teams are a mix of small and big with both T4 defenders on each team having some size and snarl. These are the teams that make it to the Cup, not a team.of fast skilled munchkins (Colorado).

Has term left (I believe 2 or 3 years at $4.2 million) so he is definitely a bridge player (28). I think he easily becomes the Kings best winger in terms of production but that injury history concerns me.

Poile was going to have to expose him so the Kings got him relatively cheap, he's a T6 winger for sure if he can stay healthy. Also means he will be protected so I think Euthanasia will be now exposed and signed afterwards if Seattle doesn't claim him.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The kings didn’t give up any prospects or #1 picks. The 3 years at 4.xx is not horrid. Buys some time for the younger guys to mature. Put him on the second line with a young center to take the hits and grind the corners. If the Kings get another expansion vulnerable team to trade a similar player , maybe defense, I will not spit when I say Blake’s name until February

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets hope the Arvidsson trade works out like the Justin Williams trade from 08/09. Williams was also a 30 goal scorer whos production had gone down due to injuries. We all know how that turned out.

Other than that I like the player. Not afraid to go to the hard areas and can play on both the PP and the PK. He's actually pretty dangerous in the PK. Having said that I agree with Puck that team size is becoming and issue especially on on D.

Overall all this was a no brainer trade.