• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020-21 NHL Season Thread

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like this trade. I love the price mostly. A second and third next year is fine for what the Kings have stockpiled. Def hear Puck on the size issue. Not just size, but how hard the Kings are to play against (i.e. Not hard. Like Kitten Mittens). Would like to see more size on the backend for sure. Byfield will be a big guy coming in eventually, but I don't know how physical he will be, and that's probably 3 years down the road before we know that much. $4.5mil isn't nothing, but I still like this move.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldnt mind the kings going after savard. He is solid, good 1st pass not afraid to hit or goto corners. Decent size and can skate

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldnt mind the kings going after savard. He is solid, good 1st pass not afraid to hit or goto corners. Decent size and can skate
David Savard? The defenseman?

If so, as much as I agree with you he would be a solid addition he isn't someone the Kings should target IMO. He's 30 and just coming off a contract making $4.25 million and will be looking for a long term (6 years is my guess) deal. The flat cap really.playa an interesting role in all UFAs this summer, limited dollars so I expect players to agree to offers relative quickly so they don't miss out.

He is also a RHD and only plays the right side, where the Kings have Doughty, Walker and Roy pretty much penciled in for the next 3 years.

One of Walker or Roy would need to be moved to make a spot for him, which is another obstacle in itself. From the ED standpoint, Bowlby makes a gentleman's deal with the Krack knowing they take one of them and also has a massive offer for Savard signing him after the ED. That's risky though, they could lose Walker/Roy and say the offer/conditions isn't good enough for Savard and now they have a huge problem on the D pairings and create a hole in an area that needs to be addressed as is.

Second issue, and more important IMO, is his age. He just doesn't make sense to me at this juncture of the rebuild. He is a finishing piece you add, not one in transition. The Kings aren't ready for a Savard. I would be surprised if LA was even on his list considering he just climbed the hill after over a decade of pretty much losing in Columbus ans the Kings are realistically 2-3 years away from being contenders minimum. In fact I'd lose some respect there, reeks of chasing money and not being a pro if he did sign in LA ans by all accounts he is a stand up guy with character.

I do like the guy though, he is a solid SAH, physical defender. Reminds me a lot of when Aaron Miller when he was here including the veteran experience and leadership qualities.

Last edited:

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Suter might be a better option even at 36. 2 year bridge deal on the left side would be an upgrade to anyone currently on the team.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Suter might be a better option even at 36. 2 year bridge deal on the left side would be an upgrade to anyone currently on the team.

I was reading the article on The Athletic and someone posted "Wow! This is as big as when they were signed!" (referring to the buyouts of both Parise and Suter today by the Wild, for those who don't know yet. They both signed identical 13 year/$98 million deals in 2012 under the old CBA) and my reply was "Umm...this played out pretty much as everyone expected it to except you."

Not sure why anyone would be surprised, they never were going to be able to finish out the term on those deals. Since Guerin bought them out though there will not be any cap recapture penalties.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw that yesterday, the irony.

Lightning definitely partying it up. Could have done without Kucherovs classless interview but he gives off that douche vibe anyway.

Might be in the minority, but I think Kucherov is so funny. Montreal did party after their Game 4 OT win like they won the cup. If you're on Instagram and follow hockey pages, you would get a taste of how hard Montreal has been trolling this whole playoff run (And now crying about everything going on a solid week now). Granted, I think it's mostly early 20 something year olds and early 30's on there. Kucherov rocking the "$18 million over the cap" shirt was pretty great too. Dude does not care at all.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading The Athletic Article earlier on actual cost of Seth Jones, and it's sort of all over the map and tons of it is contingent on whether he would sign an extension or not, which it sounds like he is pretty bent on testing free agency in 2022.

Interesting idea from one writer on there:

Portzline: Kekalainen has to at least ask for Byfield. You ask, right? Is there a larger deal to be had here? The Blue Jackets could be open to trading Patrik Laine, too, and they have a goaltender (likely Joonas Korpisalo) to trade this summer. How bold are these two teams willing to get? Tell me the NHL couldn’t use an old-school blockbuster right now.

Cost of going in and getting both Laine and Jones. Would cost all of the things, but interesting idea nonetheless. With Byfield as starting point, you do open up more conversations. I am not advocating for this, just curious since they brought up the idea.

Kopitar and Laine would be pretty nasty for a few years.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard pass on liane

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is lazy, basically acts like soccer as he cant cross mid ice. Funny that a guy who has "crushed it" hasn't had a team do whatever they can to keep him. If his line isnt in the offensive zone, they are basically on a pk

Probably a t5 worst player in his zone...guy can score and look flashy i guess

Last edited:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kings exemption list is out (Unofficially). Arvidsson protected and Grundstrom apparently not. I think it's interesting they're protecting Brown. Not against it, I just thought it was nothing but finding ways to move him the past few years, and now he's supposedly gonna be protected to make sure he doesn't leave.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kings exemption list is out (Unofficially). Arvidsson protected and Grundstrom apparently not. I think it's interesting they're protecting Brown. Not against it, I just thought it was nothing but finding ways to move him the past few years, and now he's supposedly gonna be protected to make sure he doesn't leave.
The official list will come out Sunday.
I understand Brown. Lead the team in goals, Captain of two cup winners, last year of contract, they gave his wife a job with the Kings. Protect Brown of Gundstrom? It doesn’t matter Seattle will take Clague. They will go heavy on defenseman. That’s where the value picks will be.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure grundstroms gone.....if they get bean from canes anyway, i think bean/clague interchangeable

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

no big surprises.
Protecting Brown over someone else is a choice some will question, but I am fine.
Seattle is likely asking if they can give LA a 5th round pick if they don’t have to take a king.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anybody's going to balk at protecting brown....hes done a lot for the franchise and community. Kind of classy more than anything and players take note of that. Plus as you say...."can we give you a pick to not take a king" haha not like we are loosing out much

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear king's might be moving the 8th overall pic for pro help..... Not opposed to it as long as they get something worthwhile that makes sense and actually helps the team....