• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 2019 Texas Rangers Season Opening Series vs. Chicago Cubs March 28-31

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have always been known as a free swinging type of team.

The perfect approach is a balance similar to what the Red Sox and Yankees are known for. If it’s in the strike zone, hit it. If it’s out,take the pitch and put pressure on the pitcher by getting the count in your favor.

Some teams over do it and become too patient like the Oakland A’s.

Hopefully woodward and the coaches are finally getting our team to be more disciplined. I didn’t see any improvements on this while Banny was here.
That type of discipline needs to be taught by coaches at the earliest levels.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice bunt by Schwarber to beat the shift.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or Martin or Hamilton (take your pic) even Borbon
Worst arm I can remember in CF but one of the fastest. Gentry could fly

Just think his arm is barely passable for LF. He has to be better than last year and sure he has worked hard but talent may just not be enough
Or Beniquez.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Choo again.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At least he put a lineup out there that could conceivably win the game.

I’d get so mad at Banny when he would put out what I call the “white flag” lineup. He would rest 4 or 5 good players all at once and severely cripple our chance of winning the game. It would almost always happen on sundays.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I’d get so mad at Banny when he would put out what I call the “white flag” lineup. He would rest 4 or 5 good players all at once and severely cripple our chance of winning the game. It would almost always happen on sundays.
To be fair, let's see how Woodward handles a Sunday when it is the 9th or 10th day in a row of them playing. It is a little easier to play mostly starters when it is the first time to play more than one game in a row.

The number of bench players alone doesn't make it too likely to sit 4 or 5 players at the same time any longer.

Wash used to sit several guys at once on road getaway games.

Last edited:

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, let's see how Woodward handles a Sunday when it is the 9th or 10th day in a row of them playing. It is a little easier to play mostly starters when it is the first time to play more than one game in a row.

The number of bench players alone doesn't make it too likely to sit 4 or 5 players at the same time any longer.

Wash used to sit several guys at once on road getaway games.

Wash did it too, but Banny was the worst culprit I’ve ever seen. For example, If we would win the first 2 games, he would look at it and say “aww shucks let’s rest and give the other team one game”. It happened during home games too. Not just road get aways.

No killer instinct in that guy. We saw that with his record in the playoffs. I understand that your stars can’t play all 162 games, but, this isn’t little league. A manager should try to strike a balance between getting rest and staying competitive in as many games as possible.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is really no one left Woodward could have played off the bench today is there? He has a three man bench and two of them are part of a platoon. That leave Forsythe and he is playing.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What we learned about Rangers manager Chris Woodward on opening day that should come in handy this season

Evan doesn't seem to be very much in agreement with how Banny managed, and that is certainly understandable.

My question is, why didn't Evan bring any of this up before the very end of Banny's tenure here. Either he, inexplicably, didn't have knowledge of the situation, or he didn't have the guts to report it.

I don’t mind it actually.

I thought Brocail was arrogant with his “ the approach is great, we just aren’t getting the results” mantra. It was his way of saying, I’m doing my job just fine, but the pitchers aren’t executing.

Iapoce was terrible at coaching situational hitting. We seemed to have the worst “situational hitting” in the league. We never could get a guy home from 3rd base with less than 2 outs. It seemed like our hitters weren’t adjusting there approach at all to the situation. In that scenario, a fly ball to the outfield or a ground ball to the right side of the infield is great and we hardly ever got them.

We just had wash who was a “players” manager. I thought Banny brought pretty much the same skill set and his in game moves were lackluster at best.

it’s disappointing when the A’s have bob Melvin and the Astros have AJ hinch. We were pretty much getting out coached in over half of our divisional games on a regular basis.