• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 NBA Playoffs thread

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you go to college? If so, did you go with a full football schedule to deal with, and possibly a limited high school education as a result of athletic ability and need to stay eligible? Most of the major college football scholarships are not given to kids that are pursuing any college degree worth much in today's world. Of course there are always exceptions, but how many of these kids are in strong degree programs?
Yes, I went to college and graduated. And I'm sure I didn't have the time constraints they do. some, even with the constraints, graduate in less than 4 years. They are given a 5th year. Even with the constraints, not crazy to think they could complete a strong degree program in 5 years if they want to (and many non NFL players under same time constraints do).

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I went to college and graduated. And I'm sure I didn't have the time constraints they do. some, even with the constraints, graduate in less than 4 years. They are given a 5th year. Even with the constraints, not crazy to think they could complete a strong degree program in 5 years if they want to (and many non NFL players under same time constraints do).

Some, but far from all, and in what degree program that will get them a career these days? Remember, we're often talking about kids from bad city schools or rural areas that sneak through high school on the strength of their athletic abilities, not their school work.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some, but far from all, and in what degree program that will get them a career these days? Remember, we're often talking about kids from bad city schools or rural areas that sneak through high school on the strength of their athletic abilities, not their school work.
So it is the fault of NFL owners a kid didn't have the ability to make it in the NFL nor were smart enough to pursue a legit degree when one was offered?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it is the fault of NFL owners a kid didn't have the ability to make it in the NFL nor were smart enough to pursue a legit degree when one was offered?

No, we're talking your backing of non-guaranteed contracts (which harm minimum contract players in the league more often than the superstar contracts). You claimed these kids should already have degrees behind them to allow them to pursue other careers if cut, which in a perfect world would be the case. It's just not realistic for many, and at least getting that money they signed a contract for would go a long way.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, we're talking your backing of non-guaranteed contracts (which harm minimum contract players in the league more often than the superstar contracts). You claimed these kids should already have degrees behind them to allow them to pursue other careers if cut, which in a perfect world would be the case. It's just not realistic for many, and at least getting that money they signed a contract for would go a long way.
so you just want football players to get better benefits than actual college grads? I claimed it's a little absurd you think it's a no-brainer guys must be paid who are not cut out for the job or do not perform up to value. You are completely unwilling to see things from the other side.

You ignore these guys are paid a ton yet don't care if a young guy in the real world would lose his job (where he never was paid 500K to help him get by) because his position is not needed or he is not earning his keep.....who has a "real degree".

You also ignore that in at least 40+ years they have never lowered rosters.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but the rumor was he needed to get past the Raptors to save his job. Ridiculous if true, especially if you lose your job over a shot that bounces 4 times on the rim as time expires.
No question..like Kawhi making that shot should make Nurse a better coach and Brown a lesser one?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so you just want football players to get better benefits than actual college grads? I claimed it's a little absurd you think it's a no-brainer guys must be paid who are not cut out for the job or do not perform up to value. You are completely unwilling to see things from the other side.

You ignore these guys are paid a ton yet don't care if a young guy in the real world would lose his job (where he never was paid 500K to help him get by) because his position is not needed or he is not earning his keep.....who has a "real degree".

You also ignore that in at least 40+ years they have never lowered rosters.

Why are you trying to read things into my posts that have nothing to do with them? I want NFL contracts guaranteed, like they are in the other major sports. Anyone who signs a contract for a specific time frame with a company is not cut without compensation, unless they break the terms of that contract.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like they do a better job, don't they, compared to the 70s and 80s? (or earlier)?

Far better. In the 70's and 80's as soon as the cobwebs cleared a little, you went back in and if you could clear them without leaving the game, you didn't.

I remember a game in high school where one of my teammates got seriously de-cleated to the point that he didn't know where he was. He went to the sidelines and was back in the game about 2 series later...and that was high school. In the NFL, he probably doesn't miss a play. lol

There just wasn't the knowledge about concussions that there is today. So you just kept playing. Didn't want to risk getting replaced.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never had anything guaranteed in my career field but some folks here think pro athletes deserve it.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never had anything guaranteed in my career field but some folks here think pro athletes deserve it.

Did you sign a contract with your firm for employment over a specified time period? Guessing not.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you sign a contract with your firm for employment over a specified time period? Guessing not.
All pro contracts should be one year deals with an option. Too many athletes get multi-year contracts and their performance drops.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are you trying to read things into my posts that have nothing to do with them? I want NFL contracts guaranteed, like they are in the other major sports. Anyone who signs a contract for a specific time frame with a company is not cut without compensation, unless they break the terms of that contract.
Just my opinion but I think NFL has it right with only the signing bonus being guaranteed. You'd want a player to be given all his money even if he is garbage. I like the teams have some recourse if a player does not live up to his deal (but he still gets his bonus). Wish NBA and MLB did the same.

Reactions: GNG

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't think he would have if he was told they might let him go before that time is up, but he can have 500K guaranteed to sign?