• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 NBA Playoffs thread

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure I see them as people. Both the guy losing his job and the one getting a job.

As has been said, stronger union and/or weaker owners in the other sports. Owners would love to dump or lessen the guaranteed deals in their sports. It's not because they are nice.

Year one (and other money) is guaranteed in most deals. And it doesn't help the guy who got cut, but helps the guy who gets his job.....like every business.

Of course, in many businesses owners cut jobs/positions. I note you didn't answer if you've ever seen this done in the NFL. Been watching 40+ years and can't say I have.
NFL is not like other businesses, it's not even like other sports in terms of injury risks

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL is not like other businesses, it's not even like other sports in terms of injury risks
Agreed.....they also pay a bit more than other businesses as well.

You do get no one is forced to try and play in the NFL, right? That even though the NCAA (not owners) takes advantage of players they could at least take advantage of the education offered to them.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Other than guys like Brady, Roethlisberger, etc. NFL players are the lowest paid, have the shortest window of time to make their money, the negative effects of playing are worse and sometimes don't show up until several years after they are done playing.
Maybe they should have realized this before they made a decision to pursue a career in football.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.....they also pay a bit more than other businesses as well.

You do get no one is forced to try and play in the NFL, right? That even though the NCAA (not owners) takes advantage of players they could at least take advantage of the education offered to them.
You do get no one is forced to own a team don't you?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, I do. But they do own the team and they set up a CBA with the players...then honor the CBA.

So I answered your question, will you now answer.....you get they are not forced to play in the NFL, and could take advantage of the free education they receive, correct?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they should have realized this before they made a decision to pursue a career in football.

Maybe. Maybe the NFL shouldn't have denied and lied when there started to be evidence of the long term effects of playing on both the body and the brain. This resulted in folks not being able to make fully informed decisions.

A big part of the problem though is that much of the information we have now is relatively new. So, for decades, players were playing under the impression that the game was relatively safe. That part isn't the fault of anyone, the technology to study such things didn't exist. For example, we now know that what we used to call "getting your bell rung" was actually a concussion.

But, when there started to be evidence that there were, in fact, long term effects that could be debilitating...the NFL hid and denied those reports. It's really only been about 10 years (if that) where folks have been able to make fully informed decisions re: playing football and the toll it can take.

Now, we are starting to see participation in football drop at the lower levels because more parents aren't allowing their sons to play.

So, while it's easy to say "they should have thought of that", you have to consider that maybe they would have if they had all of the information?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe. Maybe the NFL shouldn't have denied and lied when there started to be evidence of the long term effects of playing on both the body and the brain. This resulted in folks not being able to make fully informed decisions.

A big part of the problem though is that much of the information we have now is relatively new. So, for decades, players were playing under the impression that the game was relatively safe. That part isn't the fault of anyone, the technology to study such things didn't exist. For example, we now know that what we used to call "getting your bell rung" was actually a concussion.

But, when there started to be evidence that there were, in fact, long term effects that could be debilitating...the NFL hid and denied those reports. It's really only been about 10 years (if that) where folks have been able to make fully informed decisions re: playing football and the toll it can take.

Now, we are starting to see participation in football drop at the lower levels because more parents aren't allowing their sons to play.

So, while it's easy to say "they should have thought of that", you have to consider that maybe they would have if they had all of the information?
No disagreement, but we are talking about the now and players still know the risks and choose to play.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No disagreement, but we are talking about the now and players still know the risks and choose to play.

An awful lot of those players are viewing that chance as a lottery ticket out of a bad situation growing up, and that same bleak future moving forward.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True, but the info is also new enough that there still some who didn't have all of the info.

I think that may be why we are starting to see some guys retire earlier than they used to. They may not have had all of the information when they started, but they have it now and are choosing to get out before any more damage is done.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is plenty of information available now yet these athletes are still okay with pursuing a career in football.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An awful lot of those players are viewing that chance as a lottery ticket out of a bad situation growing up, and that same bleak future moving forward.
Maybe they should take advantage of college and pursue a different career field.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK...but that's not the owner's fault. Even with that "bad situation/bleak future" they had a chance to graduate from college. Maybe someone should have told them not to piss it away?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but the info is also new enough that there still some who didn't have all of the info.

I think that may be why we are starting to see some guys retire earlier than they used to. They may not have had all of the information when they started, but they have it now and are choosing to get out before any more damage is done.
Oh, no doubt about that....some retire earlier (even far earlier) and less might play, but that's not the fault of the NFL owners if they do choose to play and cannot make a go of it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is plenty of information available now yet these athletes are still okay with pursuing a career in football.

See post #509 and also post #508.

I'm not saying they don't make a choice. Heck, I started playing when I was 8 and all I needed was the first day in full pads to realize that you can get hurt playing football. lol

But, that doesn't change the fact that having all of the info is a relatively new thing or that the NFL does need to do a better job taking care of the players. Especially post career.

In fact, I'd say that now that there is a lot of information, it would be smart of the NFL to that. If the numbers of players at the lower levels keep dropping, it could eventually start to effect the NFL negatively.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not saying they don't make a choice. Heck, I started playing when I was 8 and all I needed was the first day in full pads to realize that you can get hurt playing football. lol

But, that doesn't change the fact that having all of the info is a relatively new thing or that the NFL does need to do a better job taking care of the players. Especially post career.

In fact, I'd say that now that there is a lot of information, it would be smart of the NFL to that. If the numbers of players at the lower levels keep dropping, it could eventually start to effect the NFL negatively.
I was a QB in high school and dislocated my shoulder. That was a wakeup call.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a QB in high school and dislocated my shoulder. That was a wakeup call.
Not saying ban the game or change the rules of play. Just guarantee contracts and take better care of the players medically. The owners can afford it and it's the right thing to do.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seems like they do a better job, don't they, compared to the 70s and 80s? (or earlier)?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK...but that's not the owner's fault. Even with that "bad situation/bleak future" they had a chance to graduate from college. Maybe someone should have told them not to piss it away?

Did you go to college? If so, did you go with a full football schedule to deal with, and possibly a limited high school education as a result of athletic ability and need to stay eligible? Most of the major college football scholarships are not given to kids that are pursuing any college degree worth much in today's world. Of course there are always exceptions, but how many of these kids are in strong degree programs?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying ban the game or change the rules of play. Just guarantee contracts and take better care of the players medically. The owners can afford it and it's the right thing to do.
Are they not taking care of them medically? Many owners of many huge corporations could afford to pay employees more and guarantee salaries (or guarantee them longer), but don't.

And they don't start them at 500K minimum, nor do they get a free education before joining their business.