• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 NBA Playoffs thread

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been totally glued to these NBA playoffs...

... then the NFL draft happened last night, and I'm totally thinking about football...

... gonna have to find my focus again for this Sunday. :D

This is a great time of year, though. Sports bliss.

Football season is sooner than we think.

NBA season finishes in June followed by NBA draft/free agency then BAM training camp opens a few weeks later

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not unfair though. Even going back to Jim, she's always said she has the final say. Well you can't have both. You can't have the final say while also staying out of it. There's owners in this league that do stay out of it. They hire their people and do whatever they decide. If its not working, they fire those people. That's staying out of it. But Jeanie has been saying she wants to stay out of it, people come to her with stuff or she's like "Ok, we'll do that" and then "No. I don't like that". That's not being hands off. It might not be Mark Cuban level of investment, but you're still making basketball decisions. You can't be a hands off owner if you're going to be making decisions like that.

Fair points. Seems like a lot of owners have this problem.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not unfair though. Even going back to Jim, she's always said she has the final say. Well you can't have both. You can't have the final say while also staying out of it. There's owners in this league that do stay out of it.

I disagree to a point. The Dr. Buss formula was to hire the best people he could get and let them do their jobs.

But, he always had final say, especially on hirings, firings and contracts/FA negotiations.

I think that's what Jeanie is trying to do. Imo, the problem is that she seems to just be sticking with people that she already knows and trusts rather than actually going out and getting the true best person for the job.

If someone she already knows and trusts is the best person for the job, that's fine. But right now, it doesn't look like those that she knows and trusts are the best for the job.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree to a point. The Dr. Buss formula was to hire the best people he could get and let them do their jobs.

But, he always had final say, especially on hirings, firings and contracts/FA negotiations.

I think that's what Jeanie is trying to do. Imo, the problem is that she seems to just be sticking with people that she already knows and trusts rather than actually going out and getting the true best person for the job.

If someone she already knows and trusts is the best person for the job, that's fine. But right now, it doesn't look like those that she knows and trusts are the best for the job.
The format now that seems to be what Jeanie is going with appears to be let Pelinka be the general Manager the way Jerry West was GM - back then the Lakers did not have a Vice-Pres of Op's. Obviously Jeanie had to get her brother out of there and Magic Johnson was a good fit. Common sense, however should have told her that he would not stick with it long which he didn't and that's fine. My biggest concern is I keep hearing that Rob Pelinka is not well liked in the NBA and that could lead to failure by the Lakers getting free agents. In the search for a new coach, Jeanie Buss, her other brother Joey Buss, Kurt Rambis are all getting involved in the process and if they continue to do that, I think they have a really good choice in making their next move.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

they need to bring in someone with some credibility

if there management team what it currently is- Jeanie Buss, Linda Ramsey and Pelinka- shit is not gonna go well.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The format now that seems to be what Jeanie is going with appears to be let Pelinka be the general Manager the way Jerry West was GM - back then the Lakers did not have a Vice-Pres of Op's. Obviously Jeanie had to get her brother out of there and Magic Johnson was a good fit. Common sense, however should have told her that he would not stick with it long which he didn't and that's fine. My biggest concern is I keep hearing that Rob Pelinka is not well liked in the NBA and that could lead to failure by the Lakers getting free agents. In the search for a new coach, Jeanie Buss, her other brother Joey Buss, Kurt Rambis are all getting involved in the process and if they continue to do that, I think they have a really good choice in making their next move.
Kurt Rambis? you wish....

LINDA RAMBIS! lol.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kurt Rambis is not interviewing for head coach job - He is working in the front office with Joey Buss, Jeanie Buss, Rob Pelinka and Tim Harris

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rambis returned to the Lakers franchise as a senior basketball advisor last September. His wife Linda is a special projects manager for the Lakers and a close confidant of team owner Jeanie Buss.

As the Lakers are set to meet with Williams for a second time, Jeanie and Pelinka are expected to be joined by brothers Joey and Jesse Buss, the Rambis couple, and Lakers chief operating officer Tim Harris, per Bill Oram of The Athletic:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they need to bring in someone with some credibility

if there management team what it currently is- Jeanie Buss, Linda Ramsey and Pelinka- shit is not gonna go well.

Yeah, that's why I'm hoping that the report that they already know who the President is gonna be is true.

One thing that is potentially encouraging was Lebron's response to the ESPN report that he was upset at what's going on.

He could have just been "saying what he needs to say" but I would assume that the Lakers are at least keeping him the loop in what they're doing. So, I'm hoping that it means he knows something the rest of us don't.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize that Kurt Rambis is an executive in the office and he is working with Jeanie Buss and the others don't you? That's what was reported on Lakersnation.com

Lakers Coaching Rumors: Joey Buss, Jesse Buss, Tim Harris, Kurt Rambis Among Group Joining Jeanie Buss, Rob Pelinka For 2nd Meeting With Monty Williams
Immediately after Johnson resigned, it was reported that Pelinka “will stay in his job and, if anything, his power will grow.”

However, it was unclear how the Lakers would proceed after the initial dust had settled since the Lakers had an enviable opportunity to conduct a league-wide search for a seasoned, top NBA executive to take over as Lakers president of basketball operations.

Instead, reports later came out that the Lakers brass “really, really want to keep” Pelinka and that he “has earned the favor of the people at the highest part of the organization, including Jeanie, regardless of what his reputation and what the reporting’s been over the last couple of days of what the outsiders of the league think of him.”

Many speculated as to who exactly, other than Jeanie Buss, consisted of the actual decision-makers within the Lakers organization now. Who is advising Jeanie now that Magic had quit? Who is backing Rob Pelinka?

o-host, John Ireland, the voice of the Los Angeles Lakers, then offered his observation:

“I will say this: I think Jeanie trusts Linda more than any other person there. I think she trusts Kurt (Rambis). I think Kurt is going to be involved in whatever new hire…he gets involved.”

Mason and Ireland later joked that Linda Rambis is to Jeanie Buss what HBO’s Game of Thrones’ Tyrion Lannister is to Daenerys Targaryen: Rambis is Jeanie’s “Hand of the Queen.”

Linda Rambis is the Manager of Special Projects for the Los Angeles Lakers. On March 20, Bill Oram of The Athletic previously alluded to the extent of Rambis’ influence:

Without Magic Johnson in the picture, Linda Rambis appears to be the most important voice in the Lakers organization next to Jeanie Buss.

Four4Four

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This maybe the most fascinating semifinals I can remember. Other than Denver/Spurs, I can see the remaining teams winning it all. Each series will be must see tv...

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Immediately after Johnson resigned, it was reported that Pelinka “will stay in his job and, if anything, his power will grow.”

However, it was unclear how the Lakers would proceed after the initial dust had settled since the Lakers had an enviable opportunity to conduct a league-wide search for a seasoned, top NBA executive to take over as Lakers president of basketball operations.

Instead, reports later came out that the Lakers brass “really, really want to keep” Pelinka and that he “has earned the favor of the people at the highest part of the organization, including Jeanie, regardless of what his reputation and what the reporting’s been over the last couple of days of what the outsiders of the league think of him.”

Many speculated as to who exactly, other than Jeanie Buss, consisted of the actual decision-makers within the Lakers organization now. Who is advising Jeanie now that Magic had quit? Who is backing Rob Pelinka?

o-host, John Ireland, the voice of the Los Angeles Lakers, then offered his observation:

“I will say this: I think Jeanie trusts Linda more than any other person there. I think she trusts Kurt (Rambis). I think Kurt is going to be involved in whatever new hire…he gets involved.”

Mason and Ireland later joked that Linda Rambis is to Jeanie Buss what HBO’s Game of Thrones’ Tyrion Lannister is to Daenerys Targaryen: Rambis is Jeanie’s “Hand of the Queen.”

Linda Rambis is the Manager of Special Projects for the Los Angeles Lakers. On March 20, Bill Oram of The Athletic previously alluded to the extent of Rambis’ influence:

Without Magic Johnson in the picture, Linda Rambis appears to be the most important voice in the Lakers organization next to Jeanie Buss.

Dude, I don't know why you posted all of this bullshit. Everyone knows that Jeanie Buss and Linda Rambis are close friends and Linda has worked for the Lakers for the longest time. This is nothing new. Kurt Rambis, however returned to the Lakers last September and your previous statement makes it obvious that you did not know this.

At this time Jeanie Buss with her brothers Jessie and Joey, Kurt Rambis and Rob Pelinka are running the front office and we will have to see if they can do any better then Magic Johnson.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been totally glued to these NBA playoffs...

... then the NFL draft happened last night, and I'm totally thinking about football...

... gonna have to find my focus again for this Sunday. :D

This is a great time of year, though. Sports bliss.
agree, but I do miss my bball team being relevant. Loved that NFL camp opened only a couple weeks after the Cavs were done.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avengers Endgame > NBA playoffs

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better not spoil either one of 'em for me

Game 5 of Warriors/Rockets gets really sad when suddenly Steph, Draymond, CP3, and PJ Tucker turn to dust

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game 5 of Warriors/Rockets gets really sad when suddenly Steph, Draymond, CP3, and PJ Tucker turn to dust

If those are the guys each team loses, we know Thanos is a Rockets fan