• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 NBA Playoffs thread

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Oram‏Verified account @billoram
The Lakers are sending a big contingent to Philadelphia today for Monty Williams' second interview, sources tell @sam_amick and me. Rob Pelinka and Jeanie Buss leading a group that also includes Joey Buss, Jesse Buss, Kurt and Linda Rambis, and COO Tim Harris.

Sam Amico‏Verified account @AmicoHoops 4h4 hours ago
Sam Amico Retweeted Bill Oram

And we wonder why they often seem like they don’t know what they’re doing.

Disappointed that you can't post tweets correctly. I thought that was only a DJ thing

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thought Cleveland was dysfunctional with their front office, and Lebron managing to win a title them was ridiculously good on so many levels. But I'll give it up to the Cavs, Lakers say hold my beer.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Linda Rambis is basically running the Lakers all because she's Jeanie's best friend. Neither have a clue what the fuck they are doing. Any success is because they stumbled ass backwards into it

Remember when everyone rejoiced when Jeannie took over the Lakers from Jim Buss? The latter may have actually had been the better option. At least Jim had Mitch Kupchak in charge from a GM standpoint, who's an actual GM and a quality one.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought Cleveland was dysfunctional with their front office, and Lebron managing to win a title them was ridiculously good on so many levels. But I'll give it up to the Cavs, Lakers say hold my beer.
Cavs dysfunctional because a nutjob wanted to be traded because he didn't want to play with a passive aggressive drama queen?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when everyone rejoiced when Jeannie took over the Lakers from Jim Buss? The latter may have actually had been the better option. At least Jim had Mitch Kupchak in charge from a GM standpoint, who's an actual GM and a quality one.
its why Pelinka is still there-

apparently Linda Rambis is a huge ally of his.

wtf is Linda Rambis and Jeanie Buss doing running an NBA franchise with a former agent as the GM?

why cant they learn from their mistkaes and bring in someone with some credibility?

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cavs dysfunctional because a nutjob wanted to be traded because he didn't want to play with a passive aggressive drama queen?

More with Gilbert in terms of how he handled Lebron leaving, his constant revolving door of GMs, etc...

Having said that, I think it's safe to say that the Cavs issues are merely minor and although they're not the Spurs/Warriors, they're not anywhere near the worst ran franchise in the league. That title may go to the Lakers.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, that is a weakness

If you're using a desktop, go to twitter and find the tweet you want to post>click drop down arrow>copy link to tweet>go to SportsHoopla and paste link.

Simple lol. On the phone it is just as easy.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only two series went 6 games?? Yikes

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its why Pelinka is still there-

apparently Linda Rambis is a huge ally of his.

wtf is Linda Rambis and Jeanie Buss doing running an NBA franchise with a former agent as the GM?

why cant they learn from their mistkaes and bring in someone with some credibility?

If I'm a Lakers fan, that's what gives me the most concern. It's the saying "keep doing the same things over and over and expecting different results...". Every national media outlet is telling the Lakers what to do - throw cash at a guy like Sam Presti or Masai Ujiri, even a deep analytics guy. But having ties to family/friends/former players of the Lakers is not a winning recipe.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More with Gilbert in terms of how he handled Lebron leaving, his constant revolving door of GMs, etc...

Having said that, I think it's safe to say that the Cavs issues are merely minor and although they're not the Spurs/Warriors, they're not anywhere near the worst ran franchise in the league. That title may go to the Lakers.
Fair points, but a little overblown I think. Yeah, shouldn't have hit send on the letter (but the fans liked it at the time), but that was almost a decade ago.

I think ALL GMs have been hired from within. 2 of the coaches hired from within, and another brought back who he had previously hired (yeah, got rid of him pretty quickly).

I do get he comes across as a guy who is unlikeable.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm a Lakers fan, that's what gives me the most concern. It's the saying "keep doing the same things over and over and expecting different results...". Every national media outlet is telling the Lakers what to do - throw cash at a guy like Sam Presti or Masai Ujiri, even a deep analytics guy. But having ties to family/friends/former players of the Lakers is not a winning recipe.

I'm hopeful that the fact that nothing that's being reported seems to be coming from the Lakers is a good thing. So far, it seems to be speculation and unnamed sources.

When Dr. Buss was alive, the Lakers used to not say anything about what they were doing. There were times when it appeared to Lakers fans and the media that they weren't doing anything. Or that they had made a big mistake only to find out within a few days or after the season, that what appeared to be a mistake, was actually the beginning of a big move.

For example, Del Harris seemed to be doing a good job of bringing along the Shaq/Kobe Lakers. Then he was fired 12 games into the season and replaced by Kurt Rambis. Many folks were surprised by all of that and were very critical of them until the off-season when they hired Phil.

Some of the same things that are being said now, were being said then. We just didn't have Instagram or Twitter.

Lakers' Coach Fired as Team's Turmoil Continues

When Jeanie took over she said that she wanted to run the team like her Dad.

As a Lakers fan, my hope is that the report that they already have their next President and his team is in the playoffs is true and the Lakers aren't saying anything because they can't/won't.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Lakers only shot is Lebron Inc convincing others to come play with him on his own (which is possible). Jeanie has no idea what she's doing and never really has if you've listened to any of her interviews over the years. But what she does have is friends in the media like Ramona Shelburne so spent years feeding them info to make it seem like Jim Buss was the worst thing ever. Her go to move is to just hire people around her. That's not how successful executives operate. It's what the prime example of why folks are suspect of nepotism because that's what nepotism executives do; hire people that's been around an organization because they haven't been paying attention themselves

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers only shot is Lebron Inc convincing others to come play with him on his own (which is possible). Jeanie has no idea what she's doing and never really has if you've listened to any of her interviews over the years. But what she does have is friends in the media like Ramona Shelburne so spent years feeding them info to make it seem like Jim Buss was the worst thing ever. Her go to move is to just hire people around her. That's not how successful executives operate. It's what the prime example of why folks are suspect of nepotism because that's what nepotism executives do; hire people that's been around an organization because they haven't been paying attention themselves

I think this is a bit unfair to Jeanie. It seems to me that she hired Magic/Pelinka to run the basketball operations and stay out of the day to day. Now she can be criticized for believing in Pelinka because of Kobe and not doing the due diligence to find out the downside of hiring a guy who has burned bridges in his prior job and also buying into Magic's commitment to the team. But she tried to do the right thing.

She DOES deserve criticism for not punting Pelinka and going big game hunting for Myers or one of the other big name GMs.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is a bit unfair to Jeanie. It seems to me that she hired Magic/Pelinka to run the basketball operations and stay out of the day to day. Now she can be criticized for believing in Pelinka because of Kobe and not doing the due diligence to find out the downside of hiring a guy who has burned bridges in his prior job and also buying into Magic's commitment to the team. But she tried to do the right thing.

She DOES deserve criticism for not punting Pelinka and going big game hunting for Myers or one of the other big name GMs.

It's not unfair though. Even going back to Jim, she's always said she has the final say. Well you can't have both. You can't have the final say while also staying out of it. There's owners in this league that do stay out of it. They hire their people and do whatever they decide. If its not working, they fire those people. That's staying out of it. But Jeanie has been saying she wants to stay out of it, people come to her with stuff or she's like "Ok, we'll do that" and then "No. I don't like that". That's not being hands off. It might not be Mark Cuban level of investment, but you're still making basketball decisions. You can't be a hands off owner if you're going to be making decisions like that.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been totally glued to these NBA playoffs...

... then the NFL draft happened last night, and I'm totally thinking about football...

... gonna have to find my focus again for this Sunday. :D

This is a great time of year, though. Sports bliss.