• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 FA thread

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a surprise. Good coaches coach the talent they have, in positions, places and moments where that talent can excel. The Lions don't usually hire those coaches.

Marinelli maybe. But he didn't have talent to work with.

Not that difficult to realize what a player is good at and to find as many ways as possible to exploit those attributes. "Doesn't fit the system" is code for "im not that good at coaching".

Didn't they trade up for this guy as well? So the GM moves up for a player that the coach probably tells the GM. I have no idea where to play him? Hard to believe that people in positions that high in NFL organizations are that short sighted.
Oh wait, it's the Lions. All you have to do to get hired there is to tell Martha you love your F-150 and it's an instant hire with 5 year extensions.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We only have so much money. Cant spend big at every position. I am not sold on him either so maybe safety comes in the draft if we dont spend big on one.

I thought we just got
Ziggy-15 million
Levy-5 million
Quin-6 million
off the books?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't they trade up for this guy as well? So the GM moves up for a player that the coach probably tells the GM. I have no idea where to play him? Hard to believe that people in positions that high in NFL organizations are that short sighted.
Oh wait, it's the Lions. All you have to do to get hired there is to tell Martha you love your F-150 and it's an instant hire with 5 year extensions.
Yep, with Seattle.

Had the best run defense in football his rookie year. Suh...

35.5 mil in cap space right now. Most in the division.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew would be our GM if he'd figured out how to resign NS.

No doubt in my mind.

Fuck him.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Landon Collins is the only vet I'd like to see money spent on in the secondary.

Signing Collins should be easily doable, imo, while also attempting to sign Flowers which I still question if it can/will be done and if he would even consider the Lions.

They'd have to make some cuts in order to get those two together above signed but it could be relatively easy.

You stated Collins is the only vet you'd like to see money spent on in the secondary, so I'm assuming you're okay with keeping Lawson for his last year and as a boundary CB ?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just assumed that having Walker coming off his rookie campaign and not sure if he can handle coverage as single high safety they would bring in a vet who has a stronger suit to coverage in single high than in run support to keep mentoring him as he grows into the role.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Landon Collins is the only vet I'd like to see money spent on in the secondary.

I assume you would be opposed to bringing in CB Kareem Jackson as a boundary on a short 2-3 year contract that you could get out of next year with little dead money involved ?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assume you would be opposed to bringing in CB Kareem Jackson as a boundary on a short 2-3 year contract that you could get out of next year with little dead money involved ?
We need safeties.

I don't know Jackson so well.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signing Collins should be easily doable, imo, while also attempting to sign Flowers which I still question if it can/will be done and if he would even consider the Lions.

They'd have to make some cuts in order to get those two together above signed but it could be relatively easy.

You stated Collins is the only vet you'd like to see money spent on in the secondary, so I'm assuming you're okay with keeping Lawson for his last year and as a boundary CB ?
Im cool with drafting a corner. Corners that don't suck are expensive in FA. Playing limited action, nickel and dime stuff and special teams is good adjustment for rookies.

Lawson was third in snaps on defense.

Tabor doesn't need to be around.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know Jackson so well.

I'll never forget the two TD's he personally was responsible for giving up in the 2009 Sugar Bowl against the Utes and QB Brian Johnson and the WR (can't recall who that was). Bama was down 21-0 before mid-way 2nd qtr.

He's better than Lawson and mirroring but not as physical to re-direct routes. Jackson started out having penalty issues his first couple of years but I believe he's been pretty good at not getting called for many the last few years. He's turning 31 this upcoming season and would probably cost a similar contract that ex-falcon CB Robert Alford just received from AZ (3-year, 22.5M and 8.95M in guaranteed $$$).

I posted something in here about Jackson that was from PFF. I'll see if I can find it. I don't/haven't watched the Texans a lot but he did fare well in Texans vs. Indy.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collins would really help in making Davis' overall unimpressiveness less important imo.

100% agree here.

I think I mentioned in the Glover Quin posts that Collins would be great as in box safety and one who could be used in blitz and nickel LB action kind of like a Viper/Star position. A piece you could move around. I just don't believe he belongs in deep shell 2 coverage other than on occasion. imo.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll never forget the two TD's he personally was responsible for giving up in the 2009 Sugar Bowl against the Utes and QB Brian Johnson and the WR (can't recall who that was). Bama was down 21-0 before mid-way 2nd qtr.

He's better than Lawson and mirroring but not as physical to re-direct routes. Jackson started out having penalty issues his first couple of years but I believe he's been pretty good at not getting called for many the last few years. He's turning 31 this upcoming season and would probably cost a similar contract that ex-falcon CB Robert Alford just received from AZ (3-year, 22.5M and 8.95M in guaranteed $$$).

I posted something in here about Jackson that was from PFF. I'll see if I can find it. I don't/haven't watched the Texans a lot but he did fare well in Texans vs. Indy.
Is he a safety or corner? Or both, like Quin used to be?

31 is older than I'd be targeting. Best is in the past by then.

Collins is 25.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@broncosmitty ,,, here's the post
2019 Free Agency Profile: Kareem Jackson | NFL Analysis | Pro Football Focus

Kareem Jackson finished the 2018 season with an overall grade of 85.7, ranking fifth out of 131 cornerbacks. As he approaches his 31st birthday, Jackson still has plenty left in the tank. As good as he is in coverage, he’s probably better in run support, as his 91.1 run-defense grade ranked second among cornerbacks this past season. Jackson is a do-it-all corner who isn’t afraid to roll up his sleeves and get to work.

Jackson finished this past season with a coverage grade of 80.5, ranking 14th among cornerbacks. He allowed a passer rating of 75.2 into his coverage, ranking 16th. However, where Jackson shines most is against the run, as he recorded 20 run stops on 327 run-defense snaps last season, good for the third-best run-stop percentage (6.1%) among cornerbacks. Wherever Jackson ends up, he’ll make an immediate impact as one of the most complete corners in the game.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% agree here.

I think I mentioned in the Glover Quin posts that Collins would be great as in box safety and one who could be used in blitz and nickel LB action kind of like a Viper/Star position. A piece you could move around. I just don't believe he belongs in deep shell 2 coverage other than on occasion. imo.
Yeah, I remember that.

I thought Diggs played solid football last year. But maybe I gave him credit for responsibilities he wasn't responsible for.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@broncosmitty ,,, here's the post
2019 Free Agency Profile: Kareem Jackson | NFL Analysis | Pro Football Focus

Kareem Jackson finished the 2018 season with an overall grade of 85.7, ranking fifth out of 131 cornerbacks. As he approaches his 31st birthday, Jackson still has plenty left in the tank. As good as he is in coverage, he’s probably better in run support, as his 91.1 run-defense grade ranked second among cornerbacks this past season. Jackson is a do-it-all corner who isn’t afraid to roll up his sleeves and get to work.

Jackson finished this past season with a coverage grade of 80.5, ranking 14th among cornerbacks. He allowed a passer rating of 75.2 into his coverage, ranking 16th. However, where Jackson shines most is against the run, as he recorded 20 run stops on 327 run-defense snaps last season, good for the third-best run-stop percentage (6.1%) among cornerbacks. Wherever Jackson ends up, he’ll make an immediate impact as one of the most complete corners in the game.
All sounds good to me.

I would not be against adding that. But it'd have to be short term.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@broncosmitty I was under the assumption that BQ/MP might go more so in this direction as a FA signing just due to Walkers lack of instincts coming out of CFB and may want to protect him by having a vet like Boston for deep single coverage. However, the more I've thought about the in-the-box type like Collins makes more sense and now you making the distinction of Collins helps out J. Davis in shallow zone to L.O.S. by Collins tackling ability makes even more sense.

Highlighting the top-10 safeties expected to enter free agency | NFL Analysis | Pro Football Focus

7. Tre Boston
Boston is likely the most underrated safety on this list. He’s yet to earn a grade below 70.0 in his five seasons with three teams. And the longest pass he gave up all year was 22 yards — which is quite impressive given how often safeties are burned deep.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is he a safety or corner? Or both, like Quin used to be?

31 is older than I'd be targeting. Best is in the past by then.

Collins is 25.

He's an outside CB but this year they slid him around from boundary to nickel throughout games against certain personnel.

I know he's considered old but he's still a quality CB up to this point. IMO, He's better than Lawson and it's only for two years at most so long as they draft a CB this year that they can bring along accordingly.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I remember that.

I thought Diggs played solid football last year. But maybe I gave him credit for responsibilities he wasn't responsible for.

Diggs is better off in coverage over slot/nickel type RB/TE than a two deep shell, imo, but he's not horrible in deep shell. You'd never want to leave him as single deep though. He's too tight to flip his hips and his instincts are that great for deep zones, imo. Which is why I hesitated when you mentioned Collins.

You can take Diggs, Killibrew and Tavon Wilson and combine all three of them and you still can't come up with them matching up to Collins, imo.

I was merely looking at Collins as redundancy to Diggs but when I took time to mull it over it isn't that.