• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Boise State quarterbacks

Bronco754

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QUARTERBACKS

# 10 – Chase Cord – RS SO – 6-2 – 206 lbs – Played in 4 games before suffering an ACL injury
PASSING STATS 6 of 9 passes for 67 yds – 1 TD – 1 INT -143.64 QB Rating
RUSHING STATS 8 carries for 109 yds – 13.6 yd avg. - 1 TD – long of 44 yds

# 9 - Jaylon Henderson – RS SR – 6-1 – 211 lbs – Played in 3 games
PASSING STATS - 1 of 1 for 14 yds - 217.60 QB Rating
RUSHING STATS – 8 carries for 54 yds – 6.8 yd avg – 0 TD – Long of 14

# 3 – Riley Smith – RS FR – 6-4- 206 lbs

# 17 – Zach Matlock – RS FR – 6-0 – 193 lbs (Walk-on)

__ - Hank Bachmeier – True FR – 6-2 – 200 lbs

__ - Kaiden Bennett – True FR – 6-0 – 175 lbs

LOSSES – Brett Rypien – 4 year starter - Graduate

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the toughest situation we've had in years at QB

Cord looked like he could be an exciting new starter for us but that ACL tear really sets him back. We'll be lucky if he's even ready to play week 1 and even then he's missing a lot of practice time.

miah

Well Hung Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Bachmeier lights it up in camp, go with the kid.
Theres a duel threat kid coming from Cali, hopefully we can throw a few wrinkles in with him.

Bronco754

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't see much of a possibility of a true freshman coming to Boise State and starting at QB. Chase Cord is the likely successor to Brett Rypien - provided he is ready to go next fall. If not Cord then it will be between Jaylon Henderson and Riley Smith.

The reason why I don't see a true freshman QB as a starter at Boise State is because of the complex offense that Boise State uses here. It definitely helps that Kaiden Bennett and Hank Bachmeier are both enrolled at Boise State right now. But I just don't see that happening.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theres a duel threat kid coming from Cali, hopefully we can throw a few wrinkles in with him.

I think he threw 30 TDs and only 1 INT his senior year and had a bunch of TDs on the ground. He's not very tall. I think he's only like 6' but he ended up being a second team All-American.

BSUSeahawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't see much of a possibility of a true freshman coming to Boise State and starting at QB. Chase Cord is the likely successor to Brett Rypien - provided he is ready to go next fall. If not Cord then it will be between Jaylon Henderson and Riley Smith.

The reason why I don't see a true freshman QB as a starter at Boise State is because of the complex offense that Boise State uses here. It definitely helps that Kaiden Bennett and Hank Bachmeier are both enrolled at Boise State right now. But I just don't see that happening.

I would tend to agree that it's not *ideal*, but it's not like it's unheard of. Rypien started as a TR Freshman after all - and beat out a far more established QB than anyone on the current roster in Finley.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would tend to agree that it's not *ideal*, but it's not like it's unheard of. Rypien started as a TR Freshman after all - and beat out a far more established QB than anyone on the current roster in Finley.

Kellen Moore also started as a redshirt freshman. Spring practice is going to be very much worth monitoring this year.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To be fair I personally thought Finley sucked during his time in Boise.

Bronco754

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rypien started as a True Freshman only out of necessity after Finley was injured and was going to be out for the rest of that season. Also Finley was chosen to be the starter that year - over Rypien - because, as even Rypien admitted, he was not familiar enough (as a True Freshman) with the Boise State offense whereas Finley had one full year of experience with it at that point.

BSUSeahawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rypien started as a True Freshman only out of necessity after Finley was injured and was going to be out for the rest of that season. Also Finley was chosen to be the starter that year - over Rypien - because, as even Rypien admitted, he was not familiar enough (as a True Freshman) with the Boise State offense whereas Finley had one full year of experience with it at that point.

That's fair, I forgot he was injured. Truth be told, I think Rypien was going to catch him that year anyways.

I don't think teams fear starting TR Freshmen the way they may have used to. If Hank gives BSU the best chance to win in Jacksonville, I am willing to bet he gets the nod.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fair, I forgot he was injured. Truth be told, I think Rypien was going to catch him that year anyways.

I don't think teams fear starting TR Freshmen the way they may have used to. If Hank gives BSU the best chance to win in Jacksonville, I am willing to bet he gets the nod.

1000%.

Bronco754

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not a case of "fear". It's a matter of common sense. The QB is - most will agree - the single most important player on every football team. The ONLY reasons to start a true FR at QB is IF that true freshman QB is head and shoulders the clear choice among the available QB's on a team OR there simply is no other choice. Common sense says the team is going to go with a more experienced player and allow the true freshman to use his first year to become familiar with that team's offense - ESPECIALLY at Boise State considering Boise State's complicated offense.

If Cord heals up (and I see no reason why he wouldn't as an ACL injury recovery time is 4 to 6 months these days) he WILL very likely be the starter next fall. And in the unlikely event that Cord isn't healthy by next August then my GUESS would be they will go with RS Freshman Riley Smith or Jaylon Henderson (or both)

BSUSeahawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a case of "fear". It's a matter of common sense. The QB is - most will agree - the single most important player on every football team. The ONLY reasons to start a true FR at QB is IF that true freshman QB is head and shoulders the clear choice among the available QB's on a team OR there simply is no other choice. Common sense says the team is going to go with a more experienced player and allow the true freshman to use his first year to become familiar with that team's offense - ESPECIALLY at Boise State considering Boise State's complicated offense.

If Cord heals up (and I see no reason why he wouldn't as an ACL injury recovery time is 4 to 6 months these days) he WILL very likely be the starter next fall. And in the unlikely event that Cord isn't healthy by next August then my GUESS would be they will go with RS Freshman Riley Smith or Jaylon Henderson (or both)

I don't disagree that Cord is the favorite, but Hank is more than likely the most talented QB on the team. If he shows that he's the best guy, they'll go with him. True Freshmen start all the time nowadays. Heck, even Coach Pete did it with Browning.

If I was handicapping it, I would bet Cord gets the job next year, but the second choice is Hank and it's not even close. Riley Smith is a depth guy, and they've already said that Jaylon Henderson's role is a change of pace/Cozart type, and not a full-down starter. It will undoubtedly be Cord and Hank fighting for the starting role.