• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your math doesn't work unless you are going to remove minimum salaries as well.

You cant have a 126 mil cap, Give your star 60 million and split the remaining 66 on the other 14 guys without someone playing for free.

Could you imagine guys playing buddy ball, signing for 50k, just to get a ring?

Sure, this would totally benefit big market teams because guys can make the money back on endorsements.

Teams like Minny would go under.
well, you could...and what it would do is prevent the big markets from being able to buy 2 stars. Well, at least 3.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't have to pay him.

They stupidly chose to.

In your scenario, they'd slit their throats further by being allowed to give him 40 mil, instead of the sub 30 they are paying him now.
I think in his scenario they'd pay him closer to what he's worth..or another team would.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and what I'm saying it's a pipe dream to pass that in the CBA. The Players Association would have to approve this as well, and they wouldn't because this only benefits ownership. It doesn't benefit the players overall at all.
Or it might benefit the elite players, as well.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like the way he approaches it. He plays possum until its playoff time, in the meanwhile it could potentially hurt the team for playoff positioning by the end of the season.

As it stands right now, they'd face off against the Rockets in the 1st round. With the way they're built they should have the number 1 or 2 seed. And I know i'm very biased against the clippers, but i'm not so sure they're guaranteed to make it through to the next round of the playoffs if they play the Rox in Round 1
Maybe.....but they might know what's best more than anyone outside their team.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or it might benefit the elite players, as well.

Well yeah, Elite players obviously benefit from this. But that's probably 15 players tops. After that you'd see organizations spend way too much on guys 15-30, which may actually end up crippling their organizations.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not that they can't beat them, of course they can. It's that it would be, at the least, a minor upset if they did.

The Clippers, without Kawhi and PG are a playoff team. They showed that last year.

The Lakers, without Lebron and AD are a 30-35 win team at best and that's assuming that everyone played the way they have been most of the season. '

The Lakers have the better starting 5, imo, but in the playoffs, depth often decides a series and the Clips have more of it.

Having said that, the difference in depth is looking like it may not be as pronounced as we all have thought.

Pelinka did a nice job recovering from not getting Kawhi, but he did it by taking some calculated risks that, so far, are working out for him. Danny Green has been very good, Dwight is playing much better than expected, KCP seems to have finally settled into a role that fits him and is playing well. When healthy, Avery Bradley has been a little better than expected.

If they keep playing like they have and no other changes are made, they would have a solid shot, but I think the Clippers still win. But, if they can add Collison, Iggy, or someone like them, they can make things much more even and possibly have the advantage if everyone continues to play well.

I sure as hell hope they don't have a lot of growing up and maturing to do. They are a veteran team with a lot of playoff and championship experience. Not together, obviously, but guys like Lebron, Danny Green, Rondo and even Javale have won titles. Dwight has a lot of playoff experience and has played in the finals and AD has a little playoff experience.
Clearly, there is more to it with Kawhi.

The guy has not played back to backs since he was a Spur.

If he's not healthy, fine.

But, if he is and just wants to be a part-time player, I find that distasteful.

With that being said, I laugh my ass off every time a Lakers fan or player talks Shit about Kawhi's status.

Most of y'all wanted him, thought you had as good a chance as anyone else to get him and knew he was going to load manage on any team he signed with.

It's only a problem now that he rejected the purple and gold.

Obviously, I'm not referring to you. You have always been a realist about this situation.

But, LeBron with his passive aggressive statements and posters like @Shaqdaddy11 on this site, lol

Not starting Shit, @Shaqdaddy11 . But, you bring it up more than anyone.

Again: I find it distasteful. But, I'm very happy to have him and they'd be a okay with what he's doing had he chosen the Lakers.

Last edited:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not that they can't beat them, of course they can. It's that it would be, at the least, a minor upset if they did.

The Clippers, without Kawhi and PG are a playoff team. They showed that last year.

The Lakers, without Lebron and AD are a 30-35 win team at best and that's assuming that everyone played the way they have been most of the season. '

The Lakers have the better starting 5, imo, but in the playoffs, depth often decides a series and the Clips have more of it.

Having said that, the difference in depth is looking like it may not be as pronounced as we all have thought.

Pelinka did a nice job recovering from not getting Kawhi, but he did it by taking some calculated risks that, so far, are working out for him. Danny Green has been very good, Dwight is playing much better than expected, KCP seems to have finally settled into a role that fits him and is playing well. When healthy, Avery Bradley has been a little better than expected.

If they keep playing like they have and no other changes are made, they would have a solid shot, but I think the Clippers still win. But, if they can add Collison, Iggy, or someone like them, they can make things much more even and possibly have the advantage if everyone continues to play well.

I sure as hell hope they don't have a lot of growing up and maturing to do. They are a veteran team with a lot of playoff and championship experience. Not together, obviously, but guys like Lebron, Danny Green, Rondo and even Javale have won titles. Dwight has a lot of playoff experience and has played in the finals and AD has a little playoff experience.
I looked at the stats for both teams and granted that stats on paper can be deceiving, i still believe the Lakers have the potential to be deeper and better if they work at it

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly, there is more to it with Kawhi.

The guy has not played back to backs since he was a Spur.

If he's not healthy, fine.

But, if he is and just wants to be a part-time player, I find that distasteful.

With that being said, I laugh my ass off every time a Lakers fan or player talks Shit about Kawhi's status.

Most of y'all wanted him, thought you had as good a chance as anyone else to get him and knew he was going to load manage on any team he signed with.

It's only a problem now that he rejected the purple and gold.

Obviously, I'm not referring to you. You have always been a realist about this situation.

But, LeBron with his passive aggressive statements and posters like @Shaqdaddy11 on this site, lol

Again: I find it distasteful. But, I'm very happy to have him and they'd be a okay with what he's doing had he chosen the Lakers.

Yeah, that's why I don't say a lot about it. I think there's more to it than "rest".

If it's about rest, there are plenty of ways to get to the playoffs rested without taking a bunch of games off and sitting out part of back to backs.

Sitting out the 4th quarters of blowouts, sitting out games at the end of the season when playoff seeding is set...heck, even sit out a game here and there with a minor injury (the old "if it were a playoff game, he'd play" thing). Even pick a few games where his minutes will be restricted regardless of how the game is going.

Plus, as you point out, I wouldn't be complaining much if he was on the Lakers and doing this. So I can't really complain much about it with him not a Laker.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's why I don't say a lot about it. I think there's more to it than "rest".

If it's about rest, there are plenty of ways to get to the playoffs rested without taking a bunch of games off and sitting out part of back to backs.

Sitting out the 4th quarters of blowouts, sitting out games at the end of the season when playoff seeding is set...heck, even sit out a game here and there with a minor injury (the old "if it were a playoff game, he'd play" thing). Even pick a few games where his minutes will be restricted regardless of how the game is going.

Plus, as you point out, I wouldn't be complaining much if he was on the Lakers and doing this. So I can't really complain much about it with him not a Laker.

In fairness, hard to sit out the 4th quarter of blowouts when you're the team down 20.

IDGAF about George being injured, Kawhi being injured for parts of the Season.

There is no excuse to be down Damn near 30 to the Grizz in the first quarter.

Shameful Shit...lol

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I looked at the stats for both teams and granted that stats on paper can be deceiving, i still believe the Lakers have the potential to be deeper and better if they work at it
Rondo is washed.

Bradley is cooked.

Dudley is WASHED and COOKED.

Daniels, Cook's asses are glued to the bench.

That leaves you Kuz, Caruso, Howard vs. Lou, Trezl, Jamychal Green, Shamet, Mcgruder.

I'm pretty confident your bench is inferior.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The problem with stats is there are a lot of other factors that aren't included.

For example: Did you look at strength of schedule? If one team has played more games vs. bad teams than the other...their stats are likely to be better.

Did you look at how many games have been missed by star players? Both PG and Kawhi have sat out more games individually than Lebron and AD have missed combined. I'm betting that if Kawhi and PG had played the same number of games as Lebron and PG, the stats would reflect that as well.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've brought it up maybe twice?!? How is that more than anyone?

Maybe i'm more critical of him now that he is a Clipper, but a top 3 player in the league picking and choosing what games he plays is a kick in the face for NBA fans.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fairness, hard to sit out the 4th quarter of blowouts when you're the team down 20.

Not necessarily. Phil and Pop, to name a couple, have done it fair bit. It's an 82 game season, teams that are true contenders, can afford to let a game go here and there.

The hardest part is likely convincing the players because they always think they can come back. lol

On convincing the players, the amount of "juice" a coach has would have a good bit to do with it. Doc has the juice to tell Kawhi and PG they aren't going back in.

But, even though he's doing a good job and Lebron seems to like him, I'm not sure Vogel would have the juice to be able to tell Lebron he's not going back in.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe.....but they might know what's best more than anyone outside their team.

What is best?

If he's injured, sit him out till he's healed. But one day he's playing 38 minutes, then he sits a game and then he's back at 35+ minutes.

Clippers have already been fined for bullshitting about it

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with stats is there are a lot of other factors that aren't included.

For example: Did you look at strength of schedule? If one team has played more games vs. bad teams than the other...their stats are likely to be better.

Did you look at how many games have been missed by star players? Both PG and Kawhi have sat out more games individually than Lebron and AD have missed combined. I'm betting that if Kawhi and PG had played the same number of games as Lebron and PG, the stats would reflect that as well.
All true.

Devil's advocate...

Hidden in some of our wins, George has been hot, buttered GARBAGE.

He had a stint of shooting like 28% from the field.

Clippers have been winning despite him sometimes.

Also, my comments are based on the two teams facing each other.

Clippers just have the right combination of guys to be considered the favorite over the Lakers in a series.

But, I have to admit that there is some truth to the things you suggested a week ago.

Clippers get up for the battle of LA. But, they put little to no effort into the War of the regular Season.

As constructed, I think we'd win in a series against you.

Problem is, we might not actually make it to a round where that could happen because we can't beat anyone else.

It's so fucking ridiculous.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is best?

If he's injured, sit him out till he's healed. But one day he's playing 38 minutes, then he sits a game and then he's back at 35+ minutes.

Clippers have already been fined for bullshitting about it
No, they weren't fined for that.

The NBA is aware of his injuries. Clippers were fined because they publicly stated that he wasn't hurt.

If his issue is degenerative, there is no amount of time that he could sit out to fix it.

All they can do is try to minimize further damage.