• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is it takes luck for most franchises...And a lot of times doesn't even work out...So a lot of franchises with rings got theirs from luck of the draft...and the ones who don't have championships didn't draft well and get lucky
And one who "only got 1" had some bad luck facing the same team every time....and an all time great team.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magic was possibly one of the most selfless players in NBA history when you consider his talent and yet his willingness to defer and distribute

Yeah, not just on the court either.

There could have been a Kareem/Magic feud similar to the Shaq/Kobe one.

But Magic wouldn't let it happen. He continued to call Kareem "Cap" and refer to the Lakers as "Cap's team" even after everyone else (including Kareem) knew that the Lakers had become Magic's team.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is dumb, almost all franchises have gotten "lucky". How many championships the Bulls win without Jordan? How shit of a franchise would the Warriors be if the Twolves didn't draft two PG's back to back, not named Curry? How would the Celtics have faired if they didn't get to draft Bird. Lakers without Magic or Kobe.

This is so, so dumb.
and why it's silly for so many to rip the Cavs for their awul production the years Lebron was away the first time and now.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cold weather builds character lol

Can't stand snow though. That shit could be gone forever for all I care
No doubt....could also live without heat. 50-55 and overcast or a little sun every day would work for me.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, not just on the court either.

There could have been a Kareem/Magic feud similar to the Shaq/Kobe one.

But Magic wouldn't let it happen. He continued to call Kareem "Cap" and refer to the Lakers as "Cap's team" even after everyone else (including Kareem) knew that the Lakers had become Magic's team.

Definitely. He obviously valued winning over ego

Which is kind of odd that you hear all.this negative stuff about him as an executive

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well sure you need good players. But there's luck in every single championship. All of them. For example, you guys needed the luck of having a generational talent born in Akron. That won't happen again so that's why you won't ever win another.

Then there's the injury luck. Toronto had it, you guys had it, the Ws had it too (Chris Paul, etc)

Tbh
This gets said a lot, and while it might be true, I don't think it's certain. The guy knew he was going back to his old team who had a star in Kyrie and the assets to add another in Love. Also an owner who would spend whatever it took to win. Not sure there were many other options where he could get a max and have the same success.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magic was possibly one of the most selfless players in NBA history when you consider his talent and yet his willingness to defer and distribute
Totally agree.

That's the thing most similar about him and LeBron.

Both those guys could have put up astronomical numbers nightly.

But, they put the team first.

I DESPISE the Lakers.

But, Magic is my favorite player of all time because of his style of play, that big ass smile and his philanthropy off the court.

His recent megalomania has rubbed me the wrong way...a little bit.

But, I just shrug it off as Magic being Magic....lol

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and arguably their best player - Billups - not drafted by them either.

The only key player they drafted was Prince.

Dumars struck gold with trades multiple times. Moving his best player twice (Stack and Hill..granted they were not getting Hill back anyway)

He completely tanked the Darko pick (which was a robbery of Memphis anyway for Otis Thorpe) and him going at odds with Brown was a huge mistake.

When he was hot he was hot and was he wasn't he was awful

No in between lol

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And one who "only got 1" had some bad luck facing the same team every time....and an all time great team.

It's interesting to think about some of the teams that could have been champions (or had more championships) if not for their "window" happening at the wrong time.

The Cavs may well have gotten at least 1 more title (if not more) had the Warriors not emerged.

Teams like the Knicks, Heat, Jazz, Sonics or Suns may have gotten at least 1 without MJ and the Bulls.

Heck, even teams that got multiple titles...maybe the Shaq/Kobe Lakers or the Spurs have more titles if they weren't having to try to get past each other?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think they'll hire McDaniels?
Honestly, still don't know. If I had to guess I'd say yes.

Usual complainers are complaining about the process and cry about anything that happens. while I'd be fine with McDaniels, it's not like he is a sure thing.

Many lost their shit when Mccarthy went to Dallas. I am certain same people would have complained if we hired him saying (correctly) we did not do a complete search.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree.

That's the thing most similar about him and LeBron.

Both those guys could have put up astronomical numbers nightly.

But, they put the team first.

I DESPISE the Lakers.

But, Magic is my favorite player of all time because of his style of play, that big ass smile and his philanthropy off the court.

His recent megalomania has rubbed me the wrong way...a little bit.

But, I just shrug it off as Magic being Magic....lol

I loved watching Magic play. Too bad he played for the Lakers. :heh: But to this day he's still my second favorite player ever.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's interesting to think about some of the teams that could have been champions (or had more championships) if not for their "window" happening at the wrong time.

The Cavs may well have gotten at least 1 more title (if not more) had the Warriors not emerged.

Teams like the Knicks, Heat, Jazz, Sonics or Suns may have gotten at least 1 without MJ and the Bulls.

Heck, even teams that got multiple titles...maybe the Shaq/Kobe Lakers or the Spurs have more titles if they weren't having to try to get past each other?
Add the cavs teams to those stopped by MJ......so wish that team got a title over the one that did.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This gets said a lot, and while it might be true, I don't think it's certain. The guy knew he was going back to his old team who had a star in Kyrie and the assets to add another in Love. Also an owner who would spend whatever it took to win. Not sure there were many other options where he could get a max and have the same success.
Off topic.

Did you happen to see what Gilbert Arenas chimed in with re: the Perkins/Durant feud?

I really want to know a Cavs fans response to your franchise being labeled cheap.

It's a whole ass novel....lol

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Speaking of windows for teams being at the wrong time the Cavs of the late 80's/ early 90's were very talented. Magic himself said they could become the team of the 90's. But His Airness & injuries (specifically to Brad Daugherty) ended what could have been special in NE Ohio.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely. He obviously valued winning over ego

Which is kind of odd that you hear all.this negative stuff about him as an executive

The problem with Magic as an executive is that he's well....Magic.

When you look at the top executives in the league, they are all quiet, basketball junkies who love getting into all of the minutiae involved in analyzing players, scouting and building a team, etc. (which is probably why they all also always look tired). They have to be, because they are trying to keep other top executives from knowing what they're doing or trying to do. Magic can't keep his mouth shut. lol

He probably said it best himself when he said that in that role, he didn't feel like he could be himself and do what he does.

He's the closer. The guy you bring in when you're trying to land a big name free agent or have a big announcement to make. He's not the guy you want building the team.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are too quick to generalize everything anymore. I assume we are talking about Beilein here and it's a pretty big mix up and he rightly apologized. By no means do I think he meant ill intention but yes it is offensive because of the way a lot of people have now branded that word. In my opinion anyway
I guess....but to me was more of it just being a slow newsday.

Should have been a non-story. Or at least a far lesser story than it was IMO.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only key player they drafted was Prince.

Dumars struck gold with trades multiple times. Moving his best player twice (Stack and Hill..granted they were not getting Hill back anyway)

He completely tanked the Darko pick (which was a robbery of Memphis anyway for Otis Thorpe) and him going at odds with Brown was a huge mistake.

When he was hot he was hot and was he wasn't he was awful

No in between lol
Question: Do you think the Pistons would have still won the chip had they drafted Melo instead?

Would they have still made the Rasheed trade?

Would Melo had gotten all of Tayshaun's minutes?

I think it was the perfect storm of " No Superstars" egos, good defense and catching the Lakers flat-footed that probably wouldn't have worked out the same way had they done anything different.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree.

When I think of the word Thug, there is no race attached.

I just think criminal.

Unfortunately, because of the way people dress or even if they have multiple tats, they get that description attached to them.

Nowadays, the heavily tatted person in line behind you in the Supermarket could be a Doctor, Nurse, Teacher or Cop.

So, you have to be careful about judging a book by its cover.
agree in your description of thug and why I believed Beilein's excuse if anyone wants to call it that. Cavs issues were far more because they played like slugs than thugs....and he was complementing them because they showed some energy and were not playing so slow (like a slug).

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, still don't know. If I had to guess I'd say yes.

Usual complainers are complaining about the process and cry about anything that happens. while I'd be fine with McDaniels, it's not like he is a sure thing.

Many lost their shit when Mccarthy went to Dallas. I am certain same people would have complained if we hired him saying (correctly) we did not do a complete search.

I know some don't want McDaniels but he's my choice. After that Id want Roman because the work he's done with Lamar is genius. He literally built that offense specifically for Lamar.