• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What exactly did the Lakers front office do wrong?

There was the whole 'Magic quitting' incident but later that was proven because Magic just didn't want the workload that was forced upon him rather than it being completely Rob Pelinkas fault.

Then Pelinka got criticized for waiting too long for Kawhis decision, which literally every single GM in the league would do under the circumstances.

Then came the news they wouldn't offer Ty Lue a 5 year contract and refused the option of letting him pick his own assistants. Worked out ok for everyone. Frank Vogel is doing a fantastic job so far and as far as I can tell everyone only has good things to say about him.

So where exactly was the mess?

Boston could also have EASILY gotten AD but just didn't want to give up the assets. Forcing a trade to the Lakers is a bit of a strong phrase to use when ultimately the Pelicans and David Griffin had the final say.

When your agent lets team's know that AD's a 1-year rental outside of the Lakers, Boston wasn't going to give up a load of assets for a 1-year rental. That's basically forcing a trade. In terms of Lakers management wrongdoings, having a GM in Magic who wouldn't even show up to his job is pretty bad. The contract negotiations with Ty Lue was pretty bad. The initial roster management in Lebron's first year was gross in so many ways.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When your agent lets team's know that AD's a 1-year rental outside of the Lakers, Boston wasn't going to give up a load of assets for a 1-year rental. That's basically forcing a trade. In terms of Lakers management wrongdoings, having a GM in Magic who wouldn't even show up to his job is pretty bad. The contract negotiations with Ty Lue was pretty bad. The initial roster management in Lebron's first year was gross in so many ways.

Things weren't perfect in Year One for Lebron in LA but injuries have a lot to play in that. Without injures they would probably be a first or second round exit in the playoffs and everyone would say its a great step in the right direction given the 5 years before that.

Can't blame injuries on the front office though.

It all came down to Magic not being ready (or willing) to take on the amount of responsibility of a President of Basketball Operations. He's a lot happier now and the Lakers are dominating again. Win-win.

As for the Ty Lue contract negotiations, that's all on Lue. He came in demanding more than the Lakers were willing to offer and got shut down. Lakers offered him a 3 year contract in order to prove himself and wanted Jason Kidd as his top assistant. Lue wanted 5 years guaranteed and refused to take on Kidd.
And where is he now? An assistant with the Clippers while Vogel just won Coach of the Month.
Looks like the Lakers front office did know what they were doing after all.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things weren't perfect in Year One for Lebron in LA but injuries have a lot to play in that. Without injures they would probably be a first or second round exit in the playoffs and everyone would say its a great step in the right direction given the 5 years before that.

It all came down to Magic not being ready (or willing) to take on the amount of responsibility of a President of Basketball Operations. He's a lot happier now and the Lakers are dominating again. Win-win.

As for the Ty Lue contract negotiations, that's all on Lue. He came in demanding more than the Lakers were willing to offer and got shut down. Lakers offered him a 3 year contract in order to prove himself and wanted Jason Kidd as his top assistant. Lue wanted 5 years guaranteed and refused to take on Kidd.
And where is he now? An assistant with the Clippers while Vogel just won Coach of the Month.

As far as Lue didn't the Lakers insist they pick his assistant coaches? Can't remember an organization ever doing something like that before.

And last year? Well in honor of wiggy I'm gonna go all batshit crazy & define LeBron's entire career on his inability to carry the Purple 'n Gold to the playoffs last year.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as Lue didn't the Lakers insist they pick his assistant coaches? Can't remember an organization ever doing something like that before.

And last year? Well in honor of wiggy I'm gonna go all batshit crazy & define LeBron's entire career on his inability to carry the Purple 'n Gold to the playoffs last year.

As far as I can remember, the Lakers only wanted Kidd to be his top assistant and everyone else would be negotiable. In fact I also believe it was Vogel that actually advocated for and hired Lionel Hollins. They wanted Kidd in place just in case it didn't work out with Lue so the transition would be seamless.

Lue just got butthurt.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as I can remember, the Lakers only wanted Kidd to be his top assistant and everyone else would be negotiable. In fact I also believe it was Vogel that actually advocated for and hired Lionel Hollins. They wanted Kidd in place just in case it didn't work out with Lue so the transition would be seamless.

Lue just got butthurt.

I wouldn't call it butt hurt.

How dare a coach want to select his own coaching staff.

Your top assistant is a pretty important position

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't call it butt hurt.

How dare a coach want to select his own coaching staff.

Your top assistant is a pretty important position

What exactly has Lue proven in the NBA coaching world?

Yes he won a championship with the Cavs but that was more about the players he had rather than his coaching skills.

An unproven, young coach making demands? Yeah thats not going to really work with the Lakers

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What exactly has Lue proven in the NBA coaching world?

Yes he won a championship with the Cavs but that was more about the players he had rather than his coaching skills.

An unproven, young coach making demands? Yeah thats not going to really work with the Lakers

Choosing your assistants has nothing to do what you proven in the NBA coaching world. But since we're on the topic of what guys proven in the NBA, what the hell has Kidd proven as a coach to even be a top assistant?

New hires are allowed to bring in their own assistants ALL THE TIME. This is nothing new.

Go ahead and find me all the times new hires were told they must bring this assistant with them if they want a job.

I have all the time for you to find that list.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Every team has injuries. Being the owner of a franchise and hiring a guy who wasn't willing to take on responsibility of being the President of Basketball Operations is a rather large indictment. Again, Lakers are dominant this year because Lebron's more reseted, they have AD, and they have better shooters around Lebron. Lue won a title with Lebron and has that on his resume, why would he have to prove himself? Also, in what batshit crazy world do you tell a head coach who's going to be on his staff? That doesn't fly in any sport with any organization. How do you then properly evaluate a head coach from a GM perspective, if you saddled him with assistants instead of letting him chose?

And again, you have 2 top 5 NBA players. I'm pretty sure I could go coach the Lakers right now and they'd have a winning record.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bucks went from a mediocre team to title contenders immediately the year after once they fired shitty ass Jason Kidd but yeah Kidd is some great coach that a new hire must bring on as his assistant lmaoo

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choosing your assistants has nothing to do what you proven in the NBA coaching world. But since we're on the topic of what guys proven in the NBA, what the hell has Kidd proven as a coach to even be a top assistant?

New hires are allowed to bring in their own assistants ALL THE TIME. This is nothing new.

Go ahead and find me all the times new hires were told they must bring this assistant with them if they want a job.

Budenholzer literally stepped in for Kidd and the Bucks look dominate. Kidd had that team stuck in neutral prior to Bud's arrival.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bucks went from a mediocre team to title contenders immediately the year after once they fired shitty ass Jason Kidd but yeah Kidd is some great coach that a new hire must bring on as his assistant lmaoo

This is one of those situations where Shaqdaddy should just admit she was wrong and move on. It's okay to admit your front office had/still has problems while your team's still dominating. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, iirc some Lakers fans joined us during Cleveland's run stating how poorly that team was ran when Lebron came back and they still got a title out of it. That's the beauty of basketball, transcendent generational players can overcome shitty management.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Budenholzer literally stepped in for Kidd and the Bucks look dominate. Kidd had that team stuck in neutral prior to Bud's arrival.

Kidd simply get these jobs because of his name. The guy isn't close to being a good coach if we're being honest

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What are you getting so bent out of shape for?

If you apply for a job and they offer you $50k a year and weekend off and you say "No I want $80k a year and I chose what days I have off" what do you think they'll say?

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kidd simply get these jobs because of his name. The guy isn't close to being a good coach if we're being honest

Not a head coach.

Doing pretty good as an assistant.

You don't think Lebron is learning anything from him right now?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buuuuut.........Lue has to prove himself.

If I remember correctly, Kidd was actually never an assistant until this year. He was awarded a HC job based on his name.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a head coach.

Doing pretty good as an assistant.

You don't think Lebron is learning anything from him right now?

I could be doing good as an assistant on the Lakers.

Lebron in reality been a PG his entire career. There's not much for him to learn in year 17 for a guy that's been playing basketball his entire life