• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Define not effecting the player. A guy is fouled, but is strong enough to complete the play and scores. It didn't effect him scoring, but he gets a free throw anyway.
I guess you'd have to go to @Shanemansj13 with that question... he's the one who used the phrase first. Hence my quotes in that response.

For my part: the fact that physical freaks like LeBron are less or unaffected by contact is not an irrelevant consideration... (which, frankly, seems to be the unspoken implication here: that all contact of the same type should be called a foul regardless of any other consideration).

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...unless that fouled player is on your team, of course. A foul is a foul; whether or not it is called should not be dependent on the outcome of the play (or injury caused, in more severe cases).
You're jumping in out-of-context and not really speaking to the issue @Shanemansj13 opened the door to.

Again: if contact "doesn't affect" the player contacted, should it always be called a foul regardless?

I disagree with that assertion.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're jumping in out-of-context and not really speaking to the issue @Shanemansj13 opened the door to.

Again: if contact "doesn't affect" the player contacted, should it always be called a foul regardless?

I disagree with that assertion.

Doesn't affect how? That's extremely vague.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you'd have to go to @Shanemansj13 with that question... he's the one who used the phrase first. Hence my quotes in that response.

For my part: the fact that physical freaks like LeBron are less or unaffected by contact is not an irrelevant consideration... (which, frankly, seems to be the unspoken implication here: that all contact of the same type should be called a foul regardless of any other consideration).

Ideally, a foul is a foul...period.

However, as I said earlier, there really isn't a truly fair way to officiate guys like Shaq and Lebron. So they just have to try to find a happy medium and some crews are better at it than others.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A foul is a foul. Just because a player is stronger doesn't mean you can change NBA rules.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A foul is a foul. Just because a player is stronger doesn't mean you can change NBA rules.
No one is talking about changing the rules of the NBA.

In a game where there is considerable contact allowed, I'm quite certain that what constitutes a foul is at least partially dependent on whether or not said contact actually has an impact on an opposing player.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one is talking about changing the rules of the NBA.

In a game where there is considerable contact allowed, I'm quite certain that what constitutes a foul is at least partially dependent on whether or not said contact actually has an impact on an opposing player.

What i'm trying to say is that if the exact same foul was committed on Lebron and then the same foul was made on Isaiah Thomas (only using him as an example because he's the smallest player in the league), the outcomes are most likely completely different but that doesn't change the fact that the same foul was made.

You can't judge or punish (bit of a strong word but i'll use it anyway) a bigger or stronger player for that.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lebron also took 9 threes last night. Missed calls happens as you said. Going as far as sending a tape to the league office because the refs had a bad game is hilarious. This is the same team that had a player get 20 ft attempts in a quarter this year

And that has what to do with whether or not a different standard is used on some players?

Lebron took 27 shots against Memphis, most of them inside and didn't get to the line once.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, you're just talking about calling the game differenly based on who was foulex.
Based on whether or not the person contacted was affected or not, sure.

To continue using Isaiah Thomas as an example... it's well within the realm of possibility that the exact same contact might heavily influence IT and have negligible to no effect on LeBron... that's just physics.

Based on the logic going around in this thread, it would be positively wrong for an official to call a foul in the one case but not in the other case.

I question that... (but not being an NBA rules expert, I do no more than question it)

I suspect that the rules of the NBA are written in such a way that impact on the opposing player is at least a partial determinant in whether or not a particular action is a foul.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on whether or not the person contacted was affected or not, sure.

To continue using Isaiah Thomas as an example... it's well within the realm of possibility that the exact same contact might heavily influence IT and have negligible to no effect on LeBron... that's just physics.

Based on the logic going around in this thread, it would be positively wrong for an official to call a foul in the one case but not in the other case.

I question that... (but not being an NBA rules expert, I do no more than question it)

I suspect that the rules of the NBA are written in such a way that impact on the opposing player is at least a partial determinant in whether or not a particular action is a foul.

Yes but a foul is still a foul regardless who it's done by or to.

It would be like saying certain players can stay in the key more than 3 seconds because they're fatter and take longer to move.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be like saying certain players can stay in the key more than 3 seconds because they're fatter and take longer to move.
Not a good analogy, IMO... we're talking contact here.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a good analogy, IMO... we're talking contact here.

I get what you're saying but a foul is a foul regardless. Whether its a lane violation or a blocking foul. The rules have to be consistent.

But like you said, i'm not an expert in the rules either. The NBA will probably just politely tell the Lakers to fuck off and deal with it.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you're saying but a foul is a foul regardless. Whether its a lane violation or a blocking foul. The rules have to be consistent.
I'm not necessarily advocating for inconsistency, IMO.

Rather, the general rule could be stated thus:

'A FOUL is the amount of contact it takes to materially impact an opposing player, the exact force of which depends on a case-by-case basis because different sized players are affected differently by the same level force.'

So the general rule is the level of force necessary to produce the same result in different sized players, which is necessarily variable based on size.

That's messy, but something like that.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not necessarily advocating for inconsistency, IMO.

Rather, the general rule could be stated thus:

'A FOUL is the amount of contact it takes to materially impact an opposing player, the exact force of which depends on a case-by-case basis because different sized players are affected differently by the same level force.'

So the general rule is the level of force necessary to produce the same result in different sized players, which is necessarily variable based on size.

That's messy, but something like that.

This would basically make it open season on bigs in the NBA.

A foul is a foul. The refs will judge the severity of foul and part of that judgment is how much impact it had.