• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My younger days have been in the rear view mirror for years. Did you know I secretly hate the Cavs because they ended Larry Legend's career? :heh: I was at that game in '92.
Was that Game 7? Going by memory, cavs won 122-104 and I think Nance was on fire from outside?

Really is a shame no one convinced Larry of the positives of load management.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I can't really think of any reason why they would need to be. Maid service would need to make sure the room is unoccupied. Food can be delivered and left at the door.

I would expect that the Disney personnel have been warned about trying to get themselves into position where they could interact with NBA personnel and that precautions have been taken. Just no idea what they are.

I'm not as concerned about it as @tlance seems to be, because I trust that precautions are being taken. But he's definitely right in that it is a potential wildcard.

Assuming the Disney employees are being kept away...it would be really cool if after this was all over, the league got a bunch of players, went back out there and did something cool for those folks.
Not sure physically staying away is enough, though, if they are infected and, say, cleaned their rooms.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only thing that I'd change is that I think AD will get DPOY.

Interestingly, from what I've heard in various interviews, if players had a vote, Lebron would be MVP. But the writers seem to prefer Giannis. The writers logic seems to be that Lebron doesn't really play both ends of the floor anymore.

I heard an interesting stat that would indicate how valuable Lebron is to the Lakers...

When Lebron is in the game, the Lakers have the #2 offense in the league. When he's out, they drop to 28th. I could be wrong, but I doubt there's another player in the league that even comes close to that.
what about Kyrie?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comparing Romeo Travis to Steph, McCollum, Morant and Siakam? :pound: That would make sense. If Travis got to the NBA. So playing overseas for 13 years in somehow equal to playing in the NBA?

He had a decent college career. But that's about it. I went to Akron U. I watched him play. He shouldn't be compared to the players you mentioned.

Wow. Obviously, wasn't comparing them as players. Just the fact they were all under-recruited and went to mid/low majors. So your assertion that just because you don't get recruited to a power school somehow means you aren't a good player, is an incorrect one.

He was a good college player, played professionally overseas. He didn't play in the NBA, but he was still pretty good for not making the NBA. If you're good enough to make it overseas for 13 years, you're better than 90% of the world at basketball.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was that Game 7? Going by memory, cavs won 122-104 and I think Nance was on fire from outside?

Really is a shame no one convinced Larry of the positives of load management.

Yep it was a game 7. Was at all those games in Richfield that year. But I don't remember the score.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For anyone watching the Pacers/Blazers game what's with the IU stuff?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Obviously, wasn't comparing them as players. Just the fact they were all under-recruited and went to mid/low majors. So your assertion that just because you don't get recruited to a power school somehow means you aren't a good player, is an incorrect one.

He was a good college player, played professionally overseas. He didn't play in the NBA, but he was still pretty good for not making the NBA. If you're good enough to make it overseas for 13 years, you're better than 90% of the world at basketball.

If you weren't comparing them then what is this? Comment # 24265

"I wouldn't necessarly hold it against him because bigger schools didn't offer him. Steph went to Davidson, Dame went to Weber St, McCullom went to Lehigh, Ja went to Murray StWindler went to Belmont, Siakam went to NMSU"

Seems like a compariosn to me. Either way it doesn't make a difference. If he would have been good enough for the NBA he would have gotten there. But I agree it's impressive to play professionally for that long.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looked like playoffs Iggy last night

Playoff Iggy is real. He's a 16 game player not an 82, especially at this stage of his career. He definitely has the on/off switch.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was pretty good though. I wouldn't necessarily hold it against him because bigger schools didn't offer him. Steph went to Davidson, Dame went Weber St, McCollum went to Lehigh, Ja went to Murray St, Windler went to Belmont, Siakam went to NMSU etc... A bunch of guys were under-recruited out of high school. Plus if you're the best player on a top 50 team, you're pretty good. Plus he's played overseas for the last 13 years.

Steph wasn’t under recruited though.

I saw him with my own eyes when he was in high school. He was a skinny 6’1” shooting guard. He didn’t stand out in a gym full of D3 prospects. Only reason I knew who he was because he was Dell’s son. Playing in the AAU circuit summer before his senior year, he played poorly against superior athletes.

Bob McKillop tells the story of recruiting Steph. And the reason he offered him a scholarship was because while he was watching Steph play horribly (like double digit TOs, 1/10 shooting) he never showed frustration and never changed his demeanor or stopped working hard.

McKillop correctly identified a killer work ethic and saw great potential with it. So he took a chance and offered a scholarship when nobody else was willing. But trust me when I say he was probably closer to being a reach prospect for Davidson than he was to being under-recruited out of high school. This was not a case of not being seen by coaches. Steph worked his tail off and improved more than anybody could possibly predict, even McKillop.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you weren't comparing them then what is this? Comment # 24265

"I wouldn't necessarly hold it against him because bigger schools didn't offer him. Steph went to Davidson, Dame went to Weber St, McCullom went to Lehigh, Ja went to Murray StWindler went to Belmont, Siakam went to NMSU"

Seems like a compariosn to me. Either way it doesn't make a difference. If he would have been good enough for the NBA he would have gotten there. But I agree it's impressive to play professionally for that long.

I was comparing the SCHOOLS they played for, not the players. You made the assertion that he wasn't that good because he went to Akron and didn't get recruited by Ohio State. So I went ahead and listed a half dozen players, who are obviously great, that didn't get recruited by P5 programs. Do you understand that?

If you can earn a paycheck playing basketball for over a decade your a pretty damn good basketball player.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was comparing the SCHOOLS they played for, not the players. You made the assertion that he wasn't that good because he went to Akron and didn't get recruited by Ohio State. So I went ahead and listed a half dozen players, who are obviously great, that didn't get recruited by P5 programs. Do you understand that?

If you can earn a paycheck playing basketball for over a decade your a pretty damn good basketball player.

That I agree with.

Hell, if you play D3 college ball you are really good.

And the easiest players to overlook are the guards. There are literally thousands of highly skilled high school guards. Pretty easy for 1 to fall through the cracks and get under recruited.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The IU sign on the basket. And the IU sign winding around the baseline behind the bucket.

Whoever is the designated home team, they have the normal stuff you would see in their home arenas

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steph wasn’t under recruited though.

I saw him with my own eyes when he was in high school. He was a skinny 6’1” shooting guard. He didn’t stand out in a gym full of D3 prospects. Only reason I knew who he was because he was Dell’s son. Playing in the AAU circuit summer before his senior year, he played poorly against superior athletes.

Bob McKillop tells the story of recruiting Steph. And the reason he offered him a scholarship was because while he was watching Steph play horribly (like double digit TOs, 1/10 shooting) he never showed frustration and never changed his demeanor or stopped working hard.

McKillop correctly identified a killer work ethic and saw great potential with it. So he took a chance and offered a scholarship when nobody else was willing. But trust me when I say he was probably closer to being a reach prospect for Davidson than he was to being under-recruited out of high school. This was not a case of not being seen by coaches. Steph worked his tail off and improved more than anybody could possibly predict, even McKillop.

When I said under-recruited, I meant that, or simply not being recruited at all by the power programs. My point was he wasn't getting looked at by any big time schools. Obviously, guys have different trajectories, and can physically change at that age(not saying Steph did), but overall a bunch of great players can get overlooked and end up being great collegiately and professionally.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I already said it was impressive that he played professionally for all those years. You seemed to have missed that.

And the problem with the players you mentioned is Romeo Travis was never on their level. Something else you seem to be ignoring. But continue your rant.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoever is the designated home team, they have the normal stuff you would see in their home arenas

Oh okay. Thanks for the answer. Was wondering what was up with all the Pacers and IU stuff.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I said under-recruited, I meant that, or simply not being recruited at all by the power programs. My point was he wasn't getting looked at by any big time schools. Obviously, guys have different trajectories, and can physically change at that age(not saying Steph did), but overall a bunch of great players can get overlooked and end up being great collegiately and professionally.

Sure, I get your point and it is a good one.

Just doesn’t really apply to Steph. Coaches saw him and knew who he was as the son of an NBA player. They gave him much longer looks than hey would a regular 6’1” guard because of his pedigree and pretty much all decided he wasn’t good enough. At the time I agreed with that assessment.

I heard the story from McKillop because I used to work the Davidson basketball camp every summer and I was there while Steph was. The transformation he made between the summer of his junior year and the summer before his freshman year of college was incredible. Did not resemble the same player. Then he just took off even more while at Davidson.

His story is one to tell any young athlete who maybe isn’t the biggest, fastest or strongest.

And also why I hated some of the criticism he got from fans when the Warriors were dominating the league. Dude is definitely good people.