• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've followed this closely from day one here. I can tell you I was mocked for even suggesting we'd be worse than Italy by some

The folks on the low end of expectations for this certainly didn't dream a number like 100k. That's why they're scrambling to disprove the numbers.

But they can't be disproven. Too many total people are dying regardless of what you code it.

But.... It also isn't end of times stuff and if you're otherwise healthy you're extremely likely to be safe from serious consequences.
Definitely seems like there is an agenda by some to make this seem scarier than it was (and, sure, opposite was true as well). Obviously losing anyone is bad but seems like the majority of deaths have been those who are in nursing homes. Of course, that alone is a tragedy.

anyone see this and is there any truth to it? Isn't to say I agree the shutdown was not needed. I think it was.

100522633_2025656024234187_2822712580638769152_o.jpg

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't matter what you 'buy'. That's what happened.
all that we know happened was their numbers were way, way off. I doubt no social distance would have gotten us to those numbers. Doesn't mean it wasn't needed.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i fn reported what I heard him say you dumb mf piece of shit. Go on with your worthless existence.
He was wrong. You agreed with him. But go ahead and have one last Yosemite Sam-like meltdown as the last word on this if you like.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely seems like there is an agenda by some to make this seem scarier than it was (and, sure, opposite was true as well). Obviously losing anyone is bad but seems like the majority of deaths have been those who are in nursing homes. Of course, that alone is a tragedy.

anyone see this and is there any truth to it? Isn't to say I agree the shutdown was not needed. I think it was.

A lot was happening all over the world at lightning speed, fueled by the internet. The fact that there were many different takes on things is not at all a surprise. It's easy to Monday morning QB this, just like we did after the 2008 financial crisis. But in general people did a decent job figuring things out as they exploded.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was wrong. You agreed with him. But go ahead and have one last Yosemite Sam-like meltdown as the last word on this if you like.

fuck you dumbass

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot was happening all over the world at lightning speed, fueled by the internet. The fact that there were many different takes on things is not at all a surprise. It's easy to Monday morning QB this, just like we did after the 2008 financial crisis. But in general people did a decent job figuring things out as they exploded.
agree.....Be great to find more info like that article from the doc I posted a few days ago. Helpful info with no agenda from a credible source. Certainly wont get that on CNN or Fox.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Again I've been a total nerd about the thing so I already knew this was pretty much .5 percent. That's still five times more fatal than the flu.

The prison in Marion that had their outbreak their fatality rate was .65 percent. The other two were like 2-3 percent but those were basically nursing home prisons.

So yes I welcome this becoming standard info everyone should base their decisions on but it is still also a very serious deal because of how contagious it is

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
comparing the last handful of reg. season games after being off a few months in a worldwide pandemic and a 3-1 deficit in the Finals?

Just shows how unimportant what the Cavs did really was. :D

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again I've been a total nerd about the thing so I already knew this was pretty much .5 percent. That's still five times more fatal than the flu.

The prison in Marion that had their outbreak their fatality rate was .65 percent. The other two were like 2-3 percent but those were basically nursing home prisons.

So yes I welcome this becoming standard info everyone should base their decisions on but it is still also a very serious deal because of how contagious it is
The age differences matter too. Every death is tragic but I am very happy to see it is mostly older folks (many with less than a year expected to live) vs kids and young people (like the 1918 pandemic which affected the young more)

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The age differences matter too. Every death is tragic but I am very happy to see it is mostly older folks with less than a year expected to live vs kids and hound people (like the 1918 pandemic which affected the young more)

Yep If it adversely affected kids and spared the older generation Id feel much different. Maybe that's my bias. I think most would feel the same though.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing.

It's new and it spread easily. No one really knew how to react to it and everyone making predictions was wrong to some degree. That was to be expected since everyone was flying by the seat of their pants.

Seemed like every time we heard about something that looked like it was working, we'd soon hear that it wasn't.

What made it really hard to get a grip on was that, while it seems to have been less dangerous than the flu for healthy people, it seems to be significantly more dangerous for folks who are vulnerable.

The way things are looking now. It looks like the complete shutdown was a bit of an overreaction, but there really wasn't any way to know that at the time.

It's also clear, that social distancing, etc. has likely helped protect the more vulnerable folks. So, in hindsight, while the total shutdown probably wasn't necessary...some level of it was.

My guess is that if there is a 2nd wave, there will be more social distancing etc.

But that it will be geared more towards protecting the more vulnerable folks (and them taking responsibility to protect themselves) rather than just shutting everything down.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The low side estimates were clearly and definitely wrong.

The high side estimates were probably wrong too.

BUT, they were based on the assumption of no social distancing, life as normal etc. That isn’t what happened, so those high numbers were probably never going to be realized.

saying the high end was wrong is kind of missing the point of the estimate in the first place. It got people’s attention and hopefully ensured that we don’t get close to those numbers. But without shutting down the economy and all the other steps we took, it is impossible to say how high the death toll would have climbed. Could very well have been well over 1 million people.

And we are also still a long way from being past this.
the "official" confirmed amount of cases in the US is about 1.6 million. There are 340 million people (about) in the US.

Lets say that the real amount of people that have gotten it is 10 times the "official" amount that would mean that less than 5% of the country has had it ----- for shits and giggles lets assume that there are even FIFTY times the official amount for each "official confirmed" case.

even if there has only been 1 "confirmed" test for every 50 people that have had the disease- that still over 75% of people still have not had it (and 50 is a HUGE number- obviousy)

a long long long way away from this being any where close to over.

as someone said on the radio the other day- quoting Churchill

This is not the end. This is not even the beginning of the end, but this may be the end of the beginning.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing.

It's new and it spread easily. No one really knew how to react to it and everyone making predictions was wrong to some degree. That was to be expected since everyone was flying by the seat of their pants.

Seemed like every time we heard about something that looked like it was working, we'd soon hear that it wasn't.

What made it really hard to get a grip on was that, while it seems to have been less dangerous than the flu for healthy people, it seems to be significantly more dangerous for folks who are vulnerable.

The way things are looking now. It looks like the complete shutdown was a bit of an overreaction, but there really wasn't any way to know that at the time.

It's also clear, that social distancing, etc. has likely helped protect the more vulnerable folks. So, in hindsight, while the total shutdown probably wasn't necessary...some level of it was.

My guess is that if there is a 2nd wave, there will be more social distancing etc.

But that it will be geared more towards protecting the more vulnerable folks (and them taking responsibility to protect themselves) rather than just shutting everything down.

Even as things do open back up, life will look a lot different.

Take public schools, for example. There is no cost effective way to make schools safe. There just isn’t.

Law states that public transportation must be available to all. But if kids are only allowed to sit 1 per seat as I have heard being discussed in my county, that means you would need more than twice as many busses and drivers. Since we had a driver shortage to begin with, good luck with that.

Then how about teacher absences? Elementary schools are Petri dishes of germs. While the kids may not get sick or show symptoms, the teachers sure will. An extended 2 week plus absence is always hard to fill. But during a pandemic where you could have multiple lengthy absences at once? Then factor in that teachers will he encouraged to stay home with minor cold like symptoms they would normally work through just to be on the safe side.

Again, good luck.

The public school model is not equipped to handle something like this. Don’t be surprised if your school districts opt to continue with distance learning even after Governors have okayed returns to school.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the "official" confirmed amount of cases in the US is about 1.6 million. There are 340 million people (about) in the US.

Lets say that the real amount of people that have gotten it is 10 times the "official" amount that would mean that less than 5% of the country has had it ----- for shits and giggles lets assume that there are even FIFTY times the official amount for each "official confirmed" case.

even if there has only been 1 "confirmed" test for every 50 people that have had the disease- that still over 75% of people still have not had it (and 50 is a HUGE number- obviousy)

This is not the end. This is not even the beginning of the end, but this may be the end of the beginning.

I agree.

Still a long way to go.

We won’t truly be back to normal until the vaccine is readily available.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even as things do open back up, life will look a lot different.

Take public schools, for example. There is no cost effective way to make schools safe. There just isn’t.

Law states that public transportation must be available to all. But if kids are only allowed to sit 1 per seat as I have heard being discussed in my county, that means you would need more than twice as many busses and drivers. Since we had a driver shortage to begin with, good luck with that.

Then how about teacher absences? Elementary schools are Petri dishes of germs. While the kids may not get sick or show symptoms, the teachers sure will. An extended 2 week plus absence is always hard to fill. But during a pandemic where you could have multiple lengthy absences at once? Then factor in that teachers will he encouraged to stay home with minor cold like symptoms they would normally work through just to be on the safe side.

Again, good luck.

The public school model is not equipped to handle something like this. Don’t be surprised if your school districts opt to continue with distance learning even after Governors have okayed returns to school.
DJ---- sounds like they will be looking for bus drivers again :lol:

oh i kid...its funny but i kid.

( @Mecca )

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Keep on trolling dude. It is definitely moving towards being over. Actually, the scary part is over, the virus is contained. Then we'll get a vaccine and you can find something else to try to get us to panic about.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be willing to bet that's what they'll end up doing, or something very similar.

As much fun as it would be to have something like what the NHL is doing, it just seems like it reaches a point where there are too many moving parts.
I just saw on ESPN that the players need to play a minimum of 7 more regular season games to get their 51% of BRI.

So, I expect to see some games before the playoffs.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just saw on ESPN that the players need to play a minimum of 7 more regular season games to get their 51% of BRI.

So, I expect to see some games before the playoffs.

I'm all for starting the season back up. As long as the Lakers are quarantined.