• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-20 Quest for the cup(The Carter Hart era begins)

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost the weekend boys!

I like the Thornton fit. I think he plays a good two way game, has size and can be difficult to play against because of it (not that he's out there hitting people, but he can posses the puck like Hayes). I was/am still, hoping Patrick can be that kind of player as well. Sounds like Patrick will be 'skating full time with the team' starting Monday. But he's still not cleared for contact. He's got a long way to go, but there is definite progress here. However, if you can add Thornton for a 2nd and a mid-level prospect like Rubtsov or one of the college guys (not Brink/York), I think I would do it, regardless of Patrick's availability. Even if he does come back at some point, I'm not expecting him to be able to be much of an impact. I like him a lot, believe in his talent long term etc. But he hasn't played a game in almost a year and even when he was playing regularly, he only had a 20-25 game stretch in 2018 where he was really an 'impact' player. But I do think he could give a boost to the 4th line, not that it really needs it. But lets see any team in the NHL match up with Couturier, Hayes, Thornton, Patrick down the middle. The size, the two way play, and what the Flyers could bring on the wings (G, Jake, Laughton, TK, etc.). Look out.

To me, any Ghost trade would need to be for something other than a rental. Even as much as he's struggled the past couple of years, he's still got the upside of a 25G-60p defenseman on a good contract. If they do trade him, I want more than a few months of some guy. Plus, I'm with Bacon, I like having 7 NHL dmen to pick from rolling in to the playoffs. In case someone gets hurt, in case someone struggles, in case the matchup, etc.
I believe the Thornton sweepstakes between TB, Boston and us is gonna cost a little more than a 2nd and middling prospect.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NYI lost and CBJ lost in OT.

3rd and 4th lines are driving us.
The whole thing is starting to come together.

With one game of success on the road, do you keep putting Hart back out there?
Or still balance with Elliott?

We have a ton of depth at every position, truly, and both goalies are playing well. Keep rotating them to keep everyone fresh. I don't hesitate to start either of them at this point, home or road.

But yes, utility players like Laughton, Pitlick and Raffl that can do a little bit of everything are playing very well right now and providing a lot of energy.

Several Ahl players have obviously been called up too and it's very difficult to send them back down. Aube-Kubel is a prime example of this.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im gonna go with Couts tomorrow for the first tally.

Have a good three day weekend! :suds:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida has a nice offensive team with a few young stars, but they aren't good enough defensively or in net to make the playoffs. This is where we took advantage of them in the last two meetings. It's a beautiful thing knowing that our young crew is already better in those areas. Big props to guys like Hart, Sanheim and Myers for this.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a side note, it's nice to finally light up Bobrovsky and see that he's fallen off the proverbial cliff considering we traded him away before he won two Vezina trophies and he's dominated us ever since.

Oh well, it's not like he needs any extra "Cup holders" in his vehicle anyway.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay again for the third time today, if one of our Dmen goes down what do we do then? We have no go to with Ghost gone.

Ok - keep Ghost - put a $5MM guy in the press box until someone gets hurt

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess this is kind of more of my thinking. I can see both sides of the argument. I was just thinking that Ghost with a reasonable contract could have good trade value for a good forward which we could use. As for weakening the defenseman call somebody up from the Phantoms. No reason to sit Ghost in the press box.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess this is kind of more of my thinking. I can see both sides of the argument. I was just thinking that Ghost with a reasonable contract could have good trade value for a good forward which we could use. As for weakening the defenseman call somebody up from the Phantoms. No reason to sit Ghost in the press box.
My only question is, after Ghost, who is our depth on Defense. I guess you could roll the dice and hope eternal health.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only question is, after Ghost, who is our depth on Defense. I guess you could roll the dice and hope eternal health.
It's a fair question for sure. I'm glad I don't have to make that call. I thought the Phantoms had some guys that are almost ready to make the jump? I was also thinking that maybe the Flyers were looking at Ottawa's Jean Gabriel Pageu? A trade like that would be for picks would be my guess. In that case Ghost probably stays put, but then we worry about cap space.I

Just looked up Pageu cap. It's only 3.1, think we have enough. Who's our cap expert on this?

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a fair question for sure. I'm glad I don't have to make that call. I thought the Phantoms had some guys that are almost ready to make the jump? I was also thinking that maybe the Flyers were looking at Ottawa's Jean Gabriel Pageu? A trade like that would be for picks would be my guess. In that case Ghost probably stays put, but then we worry about cap space.I

Just looked up Pageu cap. It's only 3.1, think we have enough. Who's our cap expert on this?
There is no one on the Phantoms I know of that has any NHL experience as of now, it's all about who and what is working for me, if you could bring in Thornton or Pageau for a lower trade and maybe a pick I could go for. I just believe Ghost brings more in the off season. His stats this season probably don't make him a huge want.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers would like to add offensive depth at the trade deadline, but it won’t be easy | Sam Carchidi
No one on this list helps us win a cup IMO. Def not worth giving up Ghost for a hope and a prayer. Play with what we have and see how far they go. We kept hearing this big plan coming together and here it is so let's see where it's truly at. Trade Ghost in the off season, he's only gonna bring so much value as he's sucked the last two years.

I agree with all of this

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Anchor shirks any defensive responsibility, heads up ice and it leads to goal number 2 for the Lightning, but yea keep lauding this liability lol.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough game today. Had many chances in the 3rd to make this a game.

Hart seen better games. The 4th goal was a killer

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giroux needs to step it up. Especially on the PP

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course those last 2 posts were when the game was 4-1
2 quick ones for the Flyers including anchor and Giroux

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eng

Frustrating loss we out played them big time in the 3rd.
Showed a lot of fight today.

Gotta regroup.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough game today. Had many chances in the 3rd to make this a game.

Hart seen better games. The 4th goal was a killer
As was the first one, I agree though, loved the push back and getting the Lightning out of their comfort zone.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course those last 2 posts were when the game was 4-1
2 quick ones for the Flyers including anchor and Giroux

Doesn't excuse the lack of effort on the defensive side..... You want to hoist a cup, you play every minute.. offense and defense