• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-20 Quest for the cup(The Carter Hart era begins)

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well...I was thinking a trade similar to Simmonds last year. Considering Thorton is older and slightly more productive, i think the terms should be similar. I would like a tiered trade a conditional 4th, 3rd if we win a round and 2nd if we make ECF. Or maybe just a 3rd w/ Rubstov or Vorobyev. I guess the demand really will control the price.
I would do a Vorobyev and a third in a heartbeat but im pretty sure his asking price will be higher.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would do a Vorobyev and a third in a heartbeat but im pretty sure his asking price will be higher.
maybe...he is 40. Again price will be determined by other teams and what they are will to give up, not so much SJ.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we know that we stand a better shot at the cup with Thorton you have to figure SJ knows that also and will ask for more than a 2nd round pick. What are you willing to give up for Thornton?

We can give them Braun back....

After all.. Pierre stated on the broadcast last night "you wnat to know what's wrong with San Jose... It's Braun !" He went on to lay out all the reasons Braun has been a stud for the Flyers this year.

Pierre is a putz

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can give them Braun back....

After all.. Pierre stated on the broadcast last night "you wnat to know what's wrong with San Jose... It's Braun !" He went on to lay out all the reasons Braun has been a stud for the Flyers this year.

Pierre is a putz
He was swinging on our nutz last night. :pound::pound:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just reading a couple of rumors and TB as well as Boston is interested in Thorton. It might not be so easy to get him.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just reading a couple of rumors and TB as well as Boston is interested in Thorton. It might not be so easy to get him.
Yeah...never thought it would be easy. I think he is the best fit for our current needs.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going with Teapot on Saturday......

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To Who for what?
I wonder if the Sacred would be willing to trade one of their young forwards for Ghost? They could use a blueprint and I'm pretty sure they will be sellers at this point. I keep thinking of Rhinehart.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the Sacred would be willing to trade one of their young forwards for Ghost? They could use a blueprint and I'm pretty sure they will be sellers at this point. I keep thinking of Rhinehart.
Which team is Sacred?

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if we trade Ghost for offense, what happens if we lose a Dman? Where and who is the fill in? If we add someone I'm good with giving up picks but not Ghost. A trade like that just makes one spot stronger and one spot weaker IMO.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, if you lose a Dman how weak are you there without Ghost?

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. Spell check, ugh! Sabres!

Haha... I was wondering too.....

In the last 17 games (since Jan 1) Flyers are averaging 3.7 goals per game..... Full year league leader is Colorado at 3.6 goals per game.

We either score in bushels or not at all which goofs up my 3.7.. but what are we looking to fix with a top center other than 'better talent' ? And again, what are we willing to give up.

IMO Ghost doesn't fit with this team anymore. In football terms (sort of) he's a nose tackle but we play a 4 / 3 defense scheme... could be a great player at the position, but there's not the optimum role for him to play anymore.

So trade him to a team -- playing out my analogy -- that plays a 3 / 4.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha... I was wondering too.....

In the last 17 games (since Jan 1) Flyers are averaging 3.7 goals per game..... Full year league leader is Colorado at 3.6 goals per game.

We either score in bushels or not at all which goofs up my 3.7.. but what are we looking to fix with a top center other than 'better talent' ? And again, what are we willing to give up.

IMO Ghost doesn't fit with this team anymore. In football terms (sort of) he's a nose tackle but we play a 4 / 3 defense scheme... could be a great player at the position, but there's not the optimum role for him to play anymore.

So trade him to a team -- playing out my analogy -- that plays a 3 / 4.
Okay again for the third time today, if one of our Dmen goes down what do we do then? We have no go to with Ghost gone.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost the weekend boys!

I like the Thornton fit. I think he plays a good two way game, has size and can be difficult to play against because of it (not that he's out there hitting people, but he can posses the puck like Hayes). I was/am still, hoping Patrick can be that kind of player as well. Sounds like Patrick will be 'skating full time with the team' starting Monday. But he's still not cleared for contact. He's got a long way to go, but there is definite progress here. However, if you can add Thornton for a 2nd and a mid-level prospect like Rubtsov or one of the college guys (not Brink/York), I think I would do it, regardless of Patrick's availability. Even if he does come back at some point, I'm not expecting him to be able to be much of an impact. I like him a lot, believe in his talent long term etc. But he hasn't played a game in almost a year and even when he was playing regularly, he only had a 20-25 game stretch in 2018 where he was really an 'impact' player. But I do think he could give a boost to the 4th line, not that it really needs it. But lets see any team in the NHL match up with Couturier, Hayes, Thornton, Patrick down the middle. The size, the two way play, and what the Flyers could bring on the wings (G, Jake, Laughton, TK, etc.). Look out.

To me, any Ghost trade would need to be for something other than a rental. Even as much as he's struggled the past couple of years, he's still got the upside of a 25G-60p defenseman on a good contract. If they do trade him, I want more than a few months of some guy. Plus, I'm with Bacon, I like having 7 NHL dmen to pick from rolling in to the playoffs. In case someone gets hurt, in case someone struggles, in case the matchup, etc.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And part of the reason I like Thornton, or throwing Patrick in there, is because I don't think it would disrupt the 'style' of the 3rd and 4th lines much. They'd be more talented players, but they're both responsible defensively and I think could thrive in AV's system.

It's not like you're adding a 1 dimensional, shoot-first, play 0 defense, type guy with Patrick/Thornton. Thornton might not have the wheels to forecheck like NAK, Pitlick, or Raffl, but let those guys get in on the forecheck and have Thornton has the 3rd man high and let him pick off passes and turn them in to immediate offense.

Also, Thornton still has some pretty good playmaking skills and could really benefit the 2nd PP unit.

The more I think and type the more I like the Thornton fit. But, I think he's going to be surprisingly expensive. Veteran, can provide offense, good 2-way player, and perhaps most importantly, he's cheap. Even more so than usual, teams seem to be bumping up against the cap. Any of those teams that are, that still want to make an upgrade, will be bidding for Thornton. So I bet he draws more than I want to give up for him, ie 1st round pick. He's also got an NTC, and if Tampa or Boston come calling, I don't foresee a 40yr old that's only missing a cup from his brilliant career, would pick the Flyers over those guys.