• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-20 Quest for the cup(The Carter Hart era begins)

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not like that either. I also didn't love Sanheim/Myers out there with a minute to go either.

In AV's defense, Couturier, Konecny, Giroux, Voracek, Provorov, and Niskanen were not really an option. They played like 6 of the previous 8 minutes between the two power plays and the 6 on 5. And they had already used their timeout. So AV went with Pitlick, Hayes, JvR, Sanheim, and Myers. He had to know Barzal was going to come out for the Isles since he probably didn't play many of those 6 minutes while the Flyers were making the push to tie the game. Barzal against Sanheim/Myers/JvR is not the matchup the Flyers would have wanted.

I guess there's something to be said for going for the 2 points in regulation. They had the momentum. And if you're going to try to get a second goal there, the 5 he threw out there are probably the best 5 for it given who was available.

Call me conservative, but I play for the point there. Battled back from 3 down against one of your primary playoff contenders. Get it to OT and go from there, especially since your top guys are all absolutely gassed. So Pitlick and Hayes were fine choices. But I would've preferred Laughton or Raffl to JvR. And on defense I could see having Sanheim out there, but I'd rather have Braun or Hagg out there instead of Myers in that instance. Or, if you want to keep the chemistry, I would've rather seen Braun and Hagg out there instead of Sanheim/Myers. At least get through one more shift and see where you are.
I agree 100% especially the part where we should've been going to the tie on the road.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Pens probably got a little better with that trade. And I get wanting to maximize your opportunities with Crosby/Malkin.

But they gave up a 1st round pick and one of their best prospects to swap a 17 point player for a 29 point player. That's a horrible trade value wise.
Two things here:
Zucker is one of the better two way forwards in the league so they got better defensively and offensively
The first round pick (lottery protected) will be somewhere around 27th so no big deal to take another shot with Crosby and Malkin.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my thing though. You can get frustrated about Giroux's actions in that play, but he also had the primary assist on the 2nd and 3rd goal. And he has 6 points in his last 3 games. Earlier this week we posted about how important this week would be for the Flyers given all the games against either top contenders (WSH, TB) or teams they're battling for a playoff birth (FLA, CBJ, NYI). Giroux has shown up for those games so far.

TK misses a wide open net on the exact same PP where Giroux was roaming where you didn't want him to roam. But nobody mentions TK blowing a goal any one of us probably could've finished. Because everybody loves TK.

It's easy to find flaws with every player in the NHL, if you're constantly looking for them.

Here's my counter on the TK missed opportunity... He was IN the play.... Yes, he should have buried it, but he was in position to make the play because his head is in the game --- always --- maybe sometimes too much. He physically blew the shot. Even Pro Golfers miss hit the ball sometimes... and it's standing still.

Wandering around at a critical point in the game (or at all) is just infuriating. G has all the skill and talent - not questioning that --- but it drives me nuts when he is mentally absent. His goal vs. Florida made it 4 - 1 and was an empty netter. Goal vs. Washington made it 7 - 1 Ahhhh.. never mind. Maybe I just watch him too closely... I won't comment on Giroux anymore.

BTW... If TK had been in JvR's spot on the Islander go ahead goal... it would have been blocked. I agree with LAS on that one.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a crushing defeat, for sure, but I thought we played well enough to win that game overall and it was looking like an OT win in our favor throughout that 3rd period.

The start was obviously terrible, but we played well enough in the 2nd and 3rd to overcome that and probably deserved the victory. It's going to be easy to criticize JvR on the deciding goal against because he appeared to be out of position and not exactly hustling to block the shot. That said, Pulock took a perfect shot to the top corner of the net that also got there in a hurry. JvR needs to be in better position and make damn sure he blocks the shot or get out of the way.

I wonder how many 3 goal leads the Islanders have blown this season. My guess is zero or close to it. Edit: I found a couple, at least. Washington and Pittsburgh both did it in wins, we just didn't make it to the overtime or I think we would've as well.

The silver lining is that the Lightning and Islanders are the only two eastern conference teams we have yet to beat and the last two games with them were ultra competitive and could've gone either way. We can legitimately beat anyone, so our confidence should be riding high moving forward.

That and I expect Carolina/Columbus to both sink due to critical injuries.

Last edited:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conner McDavid
Kadri
Seth Jones
Mark Giordano
Guentzel
Hertl
Morgan Reilly

A lot of top players get hurt and out indefinitely lately.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my counter on the TK missed opportunity... He was IN the play.... Yes, he should have buried it, but he was in position to make the play because his head is in the game --- always --- maybe sometimes too much. He physically blew the shot. Even Pro Golfers miss hit the ball sometimes... and it's standing still.

Wandering around at a critical point in the game (or at all) is just infuriating. G has all the skill and talent - not questioning that --- but it drives me nuts when he is mentally absent. His goal vs. Florida made it 4 - 1 and was an empty netter. Goal vs. Washington made it 7 - 1 Ahhhh.. never mind. Maybe I just watch him too closely... I won't comment on Giroux anymore.

BTW... If TK had been in JvR's spot on the Islander go ahead goal... it would have been blocked. I agree with LAS on that one.

You can keep commenting! I'll just keep defending :)

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think we wont be making a trade. We are going to have to go with what we have.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. The only hope I have for a deadline upgrade would be to get Patrick back.
Article the other days says that ain't going to happen. Sux big time for sure, but if the over all health is good this team can compete. Also a lot of stars getting long injuries, health I think will go a long way.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant have another slow start today. Come out moving your feet and never stop for 60 minutes and we will be fine.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant have another slow start today. Come out moving your feet and never stop for 60 minutes and we will be fine.

Would there be a way to isolate our 'slow starters'..... sit them for the first 10 minutes...... and then introduce them to the game ? IDK.... play 3rd & 4th lines over-abundantly.... ? Smack JvR upside the head... jam smelling salts up Giroux's nose. Gotta get creative here... or just plain crazy

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would there be a way to isolate our 'slow starters'..... sit them for the first 10 minutes...... and then introduce them to the game ? IDK.... play 3rd & 4th lines over-abundantly.... ? Smack JvR upside the head... jam smelling salts up Giroux's nose. Gotta get creative here... or just plain crazy
I wish it was this easy, they probably would've figured it out by now. Its uncanny how this has been going on for so long but every year we seam to have the same problem at the start of games. I do however condone smacking JVR upside the head just in case.