• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-20 Quest for the cup(The Carter Hart era begins)

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what an NHL team such as our should be doing which is why i didn't understand why Farabee was sent down in the first place. Looks like we will be having competition for spots going forward. The one thing im leery on is does this completion rule apply to all players and not just the bottom 6.

I would say it has, at least to some degree. Voracek has been bumped down the lineup in a few games. He always comes back up it seems, but he has definitely had some shifts cut. Different scale with top 6 guys, holding them accountable means moving them down the lineup or reducing their ice time, versus bottom 6 guys that get scratched or sent to the AHL.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EV Ice Time leaders among forwards:

1. Giroux
2. Couturier
3. Hayes
4. Konecny
5. JvR (0:42 drop between 11 and 25)
6. Lindblom
7. Laughton
8. Voracek (0:50 drop between 21 and 93)
9. Farabee (one game sample.)
10. Pitlick
11. Twarynski
12. Raffl
13. Bunnaman
14. Vorobyev (one game sample)
15. Stewart

I would expect Couturier, Konecny, and Lindblom to rise. AV said he's liked what he's seen from them and plans to keep them together now for a bit. With the way the team has played through 7 games, that's your first line, so I would expect EV TOI to reflect that a bit more.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We both know that wins and losses are the only stat that matter. They may not be fancy and have charts but the end result of games is what you need to look at.

What I do believe the advanced stats are good for, is to guide a team on where to focus to get better outcomes. Wins and Losses are all that really matter, but it also matters where you spend your time in practice, and in adjusting your roster to get to the wins. The advanced stats do help there.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Inexperienced Sanheim who is still learning the game > 32 year old Braun.
I would love to see all of the young guys beat out Braun but there is a place for a vet dman. You need to have that steady voice back there especially killing penalties. You remember how bad that pk was. Once the pucks start going in the plus minus will improve I'm actually quite happy with the D overall it's getting better from last year. We also have to remember that Myers was also beat out by Ghost and Hagg so it's not all about Braun...

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that Patrick is getting closer. Could get more interesting for lines when he gets back. He already counts against the cap, so no one goes down. Patrick to 3C and Laughton to 4C. G back to wing with Hayes at 1C.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that Patrick is getting closer. Could get more interesting for lines when he gets back. He already counts against the cap, so no one goes down. Patrick to 3C and Laughton to 4C. G back to wing with Hayes at 1C.
Who gets sent down when he comes back?

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see all of the young guys beat out Braun but there is a place for a vet dman. You need to have that steady voice back there especially killing penalties. You remember how bad that pk was. Once the pucks start going in the plus minus will improve I'm actually quite happy with the D overall it's getting better from last year. We also have to remember that Myers was also beat out by Ghost and Hagg so it's not all about Braun...
Ghost and Hagg two of our young defenseman that are part of our future so they are not blocking Myers development. Braun however is not part of our future so he is the one blocking Myers development.

Myers in LV :4 games 3 assists plus 7

I do remember how bad our PK was last year and that it is better this season but the credit for that goes to Hayes and the willingness by AV to use a solid defensive player like Raffl on the PK.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Through seven games, Ivan Provorov has rebounded in a big way

"In 2017-18, his Corsi vs. elite competition was a 47.50 while the best among defensemen was 56.90 by Mark Giordano. Last season, it was 48.80 which to be fair is a sizable increase, but still well behind the league lead in 55.10 by Brendan Dillon (which was quite surprising). This season, Provorov is second in the league in the category only behind ... Justin Braun? Oh yeah, you read that correctly. Apologies for hating on Braun shall be sent directly to myself or Kelly Hinkle, co-founders of the Justin Braun Fan Club, thank you very much. I’m sorry, where was I?"

Not sure what to make of this and what to say to the Braun-haters.....

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say it has, at least to some degree. Voracek has been bumped down the lineup in a few games. He always comes back up it seems, but he has definitely had some shifts cut. Different scale with top 6 guys, holding them accountable means moving them down the lineup or reducing their ice time, versus bottom 6 guys that get scratched or sent to the AHL.
I will agree with this 100%

chy1127

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who gets sent down when he comes back?
He already counts against the cap so no one has to go. it becomes 14 forwards, 7 dmen and 2Gs. They should just cut Stewart and go with 13 forwards.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I do believe the advanced stats are good for, is to guide a team on where to focus to get better outcomes. Wins and Losses are all that really matter, but it also matters where you spend your time in practice, and in adjusting your roster to get to the wins. The advanced stats do help there.

I also think it tells you when patience is required. If you're advanced stats look great, but the results aren't coming, sometimes the right course of action is to weather the storm, not throw everything out and start over. If the results are coming, but the advanced stats look terrible, there's a good chance you're just getting lucky and you need to be thinking about serious changes. If the results aren't there AND the advanced stats look bad, that's when it's crisis mode.

Obviously you can't stick with good advanced stats and bad results forever, but for a short period of time, I think you weather the storm.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Through seven games, Ivan Provorov has rebounded in a big way

"In 2017-18, his Corsi vs. elite competition was a 47.50 while the best among defensemen was 56.90 by Mark Giordano. Last season, it was 48.80 which to be fair is a sizable increase, but still well behind the league lead in 55.10 by Brendan Dillon (which was quite surprising). This season, Provorov is second in the league in the category only behind ... Justin Braun? Oh yeah, you read that correctly. Apologies for hating on Braun shall be sent directly to myself or Kelly Hinkle, co-founders of the Justin Braun Fan Club, thank you very much. I’m sorry, where was I?"

Not sure what to make of this and what to say to the Braun-haters.....
According to this stat we have the 2 best defenseman in the league in Braun one and Prov 2.

Just by this criteria that i have to say this is another analytical meaningless stat .

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will agree that those stats could help your team on what to work on in practice but if it doesn't translate into wins it really doesn't matter. The only stat that matters is having a lot more wins than loses.

chy1127

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will agree that those stats could help your team on what to work on in practice but if it doesn't translate into wins it really doesn't matter. The only stat that matters is having a lot more wins than loses.
Don't forget the moral victories that people like to talk about:doh:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to this stat we have the 2 best defenseman in the league in Braun one and Prov 2.

Just by this criteria that i have to say this is another analytical meaningless stat .

I'm getting in to the advanced stats, but even I have to admit that one seems awfully cherry picked. It's good that they're both apparently excelling against "elite competition", but that takes an already small sample size and cuts it down even further. You're probably only looking at 20-30 shifts that fit that category so far.

I will agree with the premise of the article though, Provorov looks significantly better this season than he did last year. After the first game or two where the d-pairs really looked out of sync.